• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Holy shit - Eye for an Eye - litterally

MULTAN, Pakistan — A judge has ruled that a Pakistani man convicted of attacking his 17-year-old fiancee with acid be blinded with acid himself, police said Friday.

Mohammed Sajid, 19, poured acid on the face of his fiancee Rabia Bibi on June 24 in Bahawalpur (search), a city in the eastern Pakistani province of Punjab (search). His two brothers were also convicted of taking part.

The woman lost both eyes and her face was burned in the attack, which police said followed a minor dispute between the couple.

Judge Afzal Sharif ruled Thursday at a court in Bahawalpur that Sajid and his brothers were guilty of the attack and be jailed for seven years, and that Sajid be blinded by acid, said Rana Riaz, a local police official.

The judge ordered that a doctor perform the punishment publicly at a sports stadium.

"This is an Islamic way of doing justice," the judge wrote in his verdict.

Police said the defendant was likely to appeal his conviction and the sentence.

Violence against women, including acid attacks, are common in Pakistan, particularly in rural and deeply conservative tribal regions.

:eek:

~atp~

TRIBE Member
That's the most retarded, childish, unproductive form of justice I've ever heard.

Fucking stupid.

The guy who attacked his fiance hopefully dies a horrible death, but not at the hands of the government.

fishbulb

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
That's the most retarded, childish, unproductive form of justice I've ever heard.

Fucking stupid.

The guy who attacked his fiance hopefully dies a horrible death, but not at the hands of the government.
I agree. Why waste such valuable organs? They should be cut out and donated to somebody who needs them! ;p

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mondo

TRIBE Promoter
I assume that everyone knows the Muslim law there.
And deterrence must be great.

So these guys thought they wouldn't be caught.
But to think that if they did, they would get the same punishment... they are retarded!

I guess no guy would mutilate another guy's penis. :)

How many would go to the stadium to watch this?

p.s. They usually kill drug dealers and people who possess any drugs with a firing squad, depending on where you are.

Eccentric (LRG)

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa

The woman lost both eyes and her face was burned in the attack, which police said followed a minor dispute between the couple.
Wow yes... it sounds quite minor.:rolleyes:

It's all fun and games til someone gets their eyes burned out!

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~

Fucking stupid.

normally i would agree. but i can't say that it doesn't please me to see this man receiving this punishment. it's surely not going to solve the problem of violence against women in pakistan, but it's nice to see an attacker getting what he deserves. some semblance of justice for these women. not that two wrongs make a right, not that this doesn't encourage this type of activity (it does). but meh...at least the guy's not getting off home free.

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa

"This is an Islamic way of doing justice," the judge wrote in his verdict.

Violence against women, including acid attacks, are common in Pakistan, particularly in rural and deeply conservative tribal regions.
i'm actually surprised by this verdict as violence is so common against women in islamic countries. i'm also surprised that the man who committed the act is being penalized at all, and especially so considering the magnitude of his punishment.

james, do you know if this is the first verdict of this sort to occur in pakistan?

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Pyrovitae

james, do you know if this is the first verdict of this sort to occur in pakistan?
I remember reading about one about a 1/2 year ago where a guy killed a woman, put her in a sack and threw her off a cliff.

He was conviced and ordered to be put in a sack and thrown off the same cliff and should he survive the fall, be hanged.

I'll see if I can dig up the article I posted about it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Pyrovitae
i'm also surprised that the man who committed the act is being penalized at all, and especially so considering the magnitude of his punishment.
Yeah me too. I think I'm more surprised at the fact that he's being punished than at the punishment itself.

Men there can usually get away with doing enough bad shit to their wives.

silver1

TRIBE Member
In the past in Europe and North America, when women were basically considered "property" of the husband, men could pretty much get away with anything too.

A sign of changing times in the Middle East with regards to women's rights? Lets hope so.

Incrimin8

TRIBE Member
The Pakistan guvernment is not supporting the judges decision to pour acid on this guys face. They are actually trying to reverse the decision. Apparently they are trying to modernize there criminal punishment proceedures ie jail time instead of public bashings. The article in the Toronto Star claims that this acid crime happens to women quite often...i think it was a few times a month or something like that. For some reason they are punishing this guy, while many others get off.

starr

TRIBE Member
Men have been using acid to maim women for at least 4 years now. It was in the papers in Sri-Lanka when I visited my parents back then. AFAIK, the use of acid has been increasing and the courts are just trying to make an appropriate remedy so this will stop happening.

The woman's family in this particular case may have been rich and helped the court see that a strict punishment had to be handed out in this case.

I know you can buy justice in Sri-Lanka, I'm not too sure about Pakistan.

Anyway, I am usually against "an eye for an eye" type of punishment. But these men disgust me - instead of backing out of the marriage they choose to be criminals and cowards.

DSV

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
Yeah me too. I think I'm more surprised at the fact that he's being punished than at the punishment itself.

Men there can usually get away with doing enough bad shit to their wives.
It's true. I've heard so many storys of guys killing their wives or burning them alive and totally getting away with it.

I guess you could call this judge's ruling progress. (?!)

bambam

TRIBE Member
technically, the pakistani legal system has less to do with islamic law, and is actually based on the english legal system. shariah law (islamic law) is not generally applicable in a court of justice. It is however, widely used by tribal 'jirgas' or feudal/tribal tribunals largely in rural areas. The problem with its application is that the 'judges' tend to take a black-letter approach to the law, choosing to interpret it using the literal canon of statutory interpretation rather than looking at crime and punishment in social context, considering the variable meanings and historical intentions of laws. That being said, an eye for an eye (possible the most dated legal concept there is) is practiced in all countries that run on shariah law, to a lesser or greater extent. The problem with the abuse of women in these countries has less to do with the law and more to do with the application of that law, the number of such incidents that are actually reported representing a small minority of women. Many of these rituals of abuse have more to do with tribes and ancient customs that predate most modern religions- which neither makes it acceptable nor morally justified. (An eye for an eye, as we all knows, began with Hammurabi's code).

redeyes

TRIBE Member
there's a young women who lives here in toronto who is getting treatment after she had acid splashed in her face. she has a brother that lives here. apparently, the young women was having an affair with a married man and the wife took revenge on the young women by hiring a few dirt bags to throw acid in her face. the pictures were very gruesome and disturbing.

peace