• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Holy crap! Sonic has arrived.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecat

TRIBE Promoter
Yeah, yeah, yeah - heard it all before: best new club ever. Even better sound system than <insert latest club to open name> ever. Best new decor and design ever. Blah, blah, blah...

Then there was Sonic.

Woah! My faith in the media has been renewed….I mean.. everything I read was true? The hype was real? We all know what it was before – and trust me, words cannot explain or do it justice - you have to see it to believe it. It’s elegant: hard wood floors, dark wood decor, beautiful Moroccan accents and lights….okay, okay – it’s not all bliss… the same gong show bathroom set-up exists and the dry ice billowing onto the dance floor was rather irritating.. that aside, Sonic has done it up right. This is something new. A new vibe, a new life and heartbeat for this city that was getting painfully stale...

It gets better... I had a great time. Many familiar faces. No attitude, no posers. Security and staff who not only looked sharp but didn't have 'tude either.. and yes, there is an easily accessible smoking area outside just off the main floor.

Wow, I never imagined going out in Toronto to club that has fantastic music on a killer sound system (no really – this is killer!) and being surrounded by all walks of life who want to enjoy the music and the vibe rather than try to prove how cool they are.

Great job to all involved. I admit, I was a skeptic - I mean, come'on - we've heard it a 100 times before. But this is truly something different. It’s a destination in this city that has lost or perhaps just forgotten the ol' industry days. Congrats - impressive job. Look forward to the opening.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
i met Gairy Brown AND David Morales. WEEEEEEEEEE!

the club is gorgeous, i'll give it that. beautiful floors, nice seating areas, pretty little decor lamps n' shit... speaker stacks that make you wanna crawl in and die of BASSINYOURFACE. Mr. Morales said he wasn't spinning at the media party because the soundsystem wasn't ready yet... so I can only imagine what it'll be like Saturday.

toooooo much blacklight. it made me want to throw psy-trance parties... but the lighting system is jizz-worthy - holy CRAP. ring of lights! ring of liiights!!! DISCO BALL WEEE!! it's friggin huge! and with all the pretty lights around it - WATCH OUT!

the bar behind the DJ booth is a death trap. baaad location. the bathrooms, which are the only thing that didn't change in the club, got a little stinky - that's not good. oh... and

SO.MANY.STAIRS!!!!

if there was ever a reason not to wear heels - the wipe-out:fucked-upedness ratio in this club is funny. as long as it's not me.

The DJ booth *looks* good - but i don't know nothin 'bouts the equipment.
someone?

The music... errrrm... was shite. I mean, it's the media party, so whatever, but... I dunno. I saw some people givin'er on the dancefloor while I was busy shmoozing and flirting with da homos... I guess the tunes were diva-licious - I worked it; I forgive Sonic for the tunes... FOR NOW.

All in all a delightful evening. Remember children: Never trust any party that can't spell hors d'oeuvres to have a decent array of food.

The bars were running out of shit, which was funny in a tequila/orange juice kinda way (WOO! THAT SHIT'S STRONG).

Saw lots of lovely faces, wore high shoes for way too long (although my new shoes were surprisingly comfy - yay cute wedge sandals for summer!), stayed out past my bedtime...

Please Sonic - please bring in some fuckin SOUNDSYSTEM BANGERS to this club. I wanna see some craaaazy DJs -- if you build it... technics1200

Skipper

TRIBE Member
bluecat said:
No attitude, no posers.

Were we at the same event?

I thought there were a lot of people there last night that were just there because it was *the* place to go last night and was invite only. People who looked like they would have been as excited had been standing in line at mc donalds rather than standing inside this brand new, gorgeous temple of a night club.

That said, the club looks incredible. The dancefloor is what struck me the most. It is big, almost reminded me of a gymnastics floor, but yet it didn't seem too big and every part of it still seemed connected to the DJ. I'm not sure how the specs of the floor vs. booth has changed, but finally there's the right balance and distance between them.

I enjoyed the tiered levels behind the DJ booth. Nice seating and the details were perfect - the lighting fixtures, candles, etc. The room felt warm at only about 70% full.

Patio was a nice addition for the smokers, and i hope as the summer approaches they do something to make it a little more inviting because I'm sure as sunrise gets earlier and earlier, it will be a nice little place to hangout towards the end of the night.

I'm curious what's going to happen with the old lounge space - there's some seating, the same washrooms, and an area used for a bar last night...but it felt sort of cold, and if I was spending a whole night there I probably wouldn't chill out down there because it seemed like more of a passthrough area. (which is perhaps the intent)

but for the love of all that is decent, please please change those blacklights on the dancefloor. It is such a beautiful dancefloor, but blacklights are so 90's. I felt like I was stepping back in time to my first all ages nightclub. there is no way I could spend an entire night dancing when everyone's teeth and nose look neon! lol

Overall, best thing toronto has seen in quite some time IMO.

s1k

TRIBE Member
it def did not feeel like old boa. the spotlights from stereo, the one's in circles, there, possibly the coolest lighting system ever. You just leave those on from 8 on, it's the best. the sound system, fukin sick. dance floor made for booooogy.

only problem they didn't overcome is the dead space infront of the dj booth. it's a big problem IMO because where it's suppose to be the most pack, suddenly no body stands.

it's too soon to say...but i don't think it's gonna live up to the stereo family name. i'm still makin my treks up...but as you said, by far the nicest place to have hit toronto

davehill79

TRIBE Promoter
Yeah the club obviouslt still aint finsihed and bya ll account neither is the soundsystem... Ha ha.. God im waiting to hear what its going to be like.. And the music was for wnat of a better word... preftty fucking gay, but what the fuck, the night was well orchistrated and I can well see some big parties there.

Hats of to the Big Eddy K and Jennstar, you really done something great with the place. Just walking in you could feel a whole different vibe from when it was 270 Spadina and even Boa.....

I foresee many debaucherous and fucked up nights, sat in the corner of that club cowering like a little kid, cause you got "just too fucked up" and scared by what the sound system is doing to your brain...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sentence

TRIBE Promoter
definitely impressive. lots of fun to be had in there.. great looking club, great sound, great staff. sonic definitely has that stereo feel to it. a welcome and much needed addition to our toronto scene! congrats to everyone that made it happen..

we have it pretty good here in toronto and it just got better!!

:eek:

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
I foresee many fun fun nights at this place. I loved the openness of the dance floor and the pockets as you head up the stairs. The details - the Moroccan lighting, the Hindu sculpture on the stairs, the paintings on the walls, the humongo disco ball - lovely!

I have to agree about the black lights - bad bad bad! I hate feeling like a glowstick if my clothes have any white in them, and NOBODY looks attractive with green eyes and teeth!

I hope that they spruce up the downstairs lounge and the smoking patio - these are great spaces that could really add to the party vibe if done right. At least some nice couches/tables, maybe some plants and heaters outside... I can't wait to be there in the early morning summer sun!

I was bummed we didn't get to hear Morales play, but I did get to meet him! I'll definitely be there next time he's in town.

I had a great time - met some great people, good to see you Maria and meet you davehill. A big thanks to Skip and Rude for hooking a sistah up!

Yay Sonic - looking forward to the ensuing debauchery!!

lilnick

TRIBE Member
Love that dance floor! So easy to move on it... I too can forsee many hours grooving away on there. I love the colour of the wood too... lightens up the room and adds to the vibe.

The homos were out in full force, as to be expected. Don't know what you guys are talking about re the attiude... I thought the crowd was good and friendly. Gina looked FABLULOUS! Staff were excellent.

Moving the entrance to the side... so obvious and logical.. what was the old boa ever thinking not doing that? Beautiful lights. Sure the music was nothing special but it wasn't THAT gay! Would love to be there for Frankie on Saturday but will have to take a raincheck.

Well done Sonic!

AshG

Lookin really nice.
The wood floors are beautiful to be on, and the sight lines are great - the dj and booth are now clearly visible from many areas of the space, and the lights and revamped floor make it all seem more intimate.

The soundsystem needs tuning for sure, but i'm sure that'll come.

Everything seems very well though out and put together - pretty much everything about it says quality.

Great!

D1Willow

TRIBE Member
So many beutiful people, which complimented the club just right! I got a call around 11pm to come check out the space for a 'walk through'. Show up in a hoody and ball cap. I'm surprised I got through the front door!
As was said earlier; sueve, fun staff. You could joke with the doormen and not get the stare down. Bar staff was friendly and quick.
I was sober, but did the floor seem almost bouncy? Or have I become too used to concrete?
Only thing that may cause a problem are the 3 flights of looong stair cases. Saw a few drunken(?) divas almost take a spill. And they were leaving at only midnight.
I CAN'T WAIT TIL SATURDAY! I hope I haven't over hyped this thing beyond my own expectations. By the looks of things....naaa!

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
D1Willow said:
You could joke with the doormen and not get the stare down.

SUPER NICE BOUNCERS!!!!!!!! joked with the bouncer at the patio door all night - really sweet. saw some bouncers NICELY asking people to take their smokes outside.
bouncer: excuse me (EXCUSE ME???) points to back - we have a smoking patio out back.
girl: oh! thank you... sorry.
bouncer: that's alright. thank you.
(??????!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????!!!!!!!!!!)

the guy at the door on the way out helped me down the last few stairs, told me it was chilly and offered to call me a cab.
+2kagillion POINTS.

lilnick

TRIBE Member
D1Willow said:
Only thing that may cause a problem are the 3 flights of looong stair cases. Saw a few drunken(?) divas almost take a spill. And they were leaving at only midnight.

Yes.. I was talking about that with someone... They need to add some handrails and carpet the stairs... like they have at stereo... hopefully that will minimize the wipeouts. :)

lilnick

TRIBE Member
mariazmess said:
+2kagillion POINTS.

lol

When did u leave?

Nice to see them setting the tone re the smoking by-laws... about time someone set an example... unlike Guv and TIL... It's not that hard now is it Chalres??

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
lilnick said:
lol
When did u leave?
SHOULD have left with you i think... the music got a touch better around 1:30... by 2 i was DONE. wanted to stay long enough to see the look on s1k's face when he saw those speakers.

it was worth it.

s1k

TRIBE Member
yeah the music was a disaster...and yes my face was priceless when i saw the speakers. hit the spot...

vench

TRIBE Promoter
the club looks great and is much improved imo from the old Boa space. I like how it has more of a warm feel to it now as opposed to feeling like I was in a dark tunnel with a few lights.

kudos to all involved!

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member
Really like the new space. I was a huge fan when Boa occupied 270, but the new upgrades make it look like a club, not an abandoned movie theatre.

Like others have said, the flooring looks sweet. The lightling looks like it will be really something when its being used to it's full potential. The video screen will is a nice addition where the old stage was.

Lots of good looking people in the house last night. As some have said, the dancefloor was definitely "Mens Town" last night...not that there's anything wrong with that...

I'll be frequenting Sonic and look forward to whats in store for the future.

Gravid

TRIBE Member
nice reviews all !
This sounds very promising and worth the wait. I really missed that space and it sounds like it is much improved too.
technics1200 technics1200 technics1200 technics1200 technics1200

Looking forward to my first visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.