1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Hockey

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Bernnie Federko, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

2. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Muzzin plays with two sticks

3. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

Happy to finally trade for some D and can't wait to see what he brings to the team.

Only thing I don't like about the deal is trading away the only guy in the system with NHL skills who plays "hard". I guess we could trade for that too.

4. Bernnie Federko

Leafs extended somebody named Auston Matthews?

5. Bernnie Federko

So the US/CDN Tax treaty taxes signing bonuses at 15% flat. Whereas the top tier for Non Resident Income tax 54%.

Because of the way Matthews agent structured the deal, he gets 30 million more than not.

6. kennyboy

kennyboy TRIBE Member

Saw this yesterday. So I guess Marner is either going to take a big hit on the bottom or look to move to a more tax friendly country. LOL

7. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Can you point me to the article? I thought I saw a tweet where they said it would only work out to be less than $2million difference.

edit: basically, he's an American resident so he would still have to pay taxes in the US

8. Bernnie Federko

Saw it in yesterday's Sports newsletter from Axios.

What's the tax rate for ppl from Arizona?

9. ScottBentley

I want Simmonds. Johnson or Brown and a pick.

10. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

I don't know, but this is the thread I was talking about:

11. Bernnie Federko

Kapanen is looking lovely ...

12. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

Surprised Hitchcock still has a job.

13. Bernnie Federko

Not his fault. And what, they gonna hire & pay a third coach? With this squad? The coach ain't the problem. It's the shit owner, and the shit show front office situation.

Should've made Lou an offer he couldn't refuse when the option was there

14. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Hitch is only the interim coach till the end of the season, but he sounds like he wants to quit. The problem is also with the scouting/drafting. Outside their first round picks(always high picks) they haven't really hit on any players in the past 10 years. Chiarelli also set them back a few years with his moves.

15. Bernnie Federko

If I'm McDavid I start asking for a roadmap from the owner after this season.

16. Bernnie Federko

Go Leafs go

17. Bernnie Federko

"Seven players from Finland, a country of 5.5 million, have been top 10 draft picks since 2013, and nearly all of them are playing significant roles on their NHL teams," writes the NYT's Andrew Knoll. They include:

• Winnipeg's Patrik Laine, the No. 2 pick in 2016, became the fourth-youngest player to reach 100 career goals in November and is already a legit superstar.
    • Colorado's Mikko Rantanen,the No. 10 pick in 2015, ranks fifth in the league in points (76), trailing only Calgary's Johnny Gaudreau (78), Edmonton's Connor McDavid (82), Chicago's Patrick Kane (85) and Tampa Bay's Nikita Kucherov (92).
    • Dallas' Miro Heiskanen, the No. 3 pick in 2017, made the All-Star game last month in his first NHL season and is already being compared to Hall of Fame defenseman Scott Niedermayer.
    What's happening: Beginning in 2009, Finnish officials made "considerable investments and sweeping changes" that emphasized player development.

• The result: A golden generation, led by the names we just mentioned, whose success is both a result of and a driving force behind Finland's suddenly dominant youth pipeline.
    • Fun fact: Finland has won three of the last six world junior championships after winning just twice in the previous 40 years.
    What they're saying:

"The Finnish player type used to be the very reliable, solid, two-way player who had a very successful career, maybe on lower lines. Now we have these individuals coming up with amazing skill, and I feel like there's something to that exposure and kids being able to see, copy and try on their own."
    — Predators goalie, and Finland native, Pekka Rinne
    What's next: "The Finnish pipeline shows no signs of drying up," writes Knoll. "Right wing Kaapo Kakko is expected to be a top 5 pick in the coming draft in June."

18. Bernnie Federko

Robbie Schremp is a classic example of a bitter guy whose hype never amounted to a hill of beans

Tavares' former teammates not buying criticisms of his character

19. Bernnie Federko

Any idea what the Habs did to upset the hockey Gods last night?

Also:

20. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

21. Bernnie Federko

22. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

fuck edmonton.

Bernnie Federko likes this.
  23. Bernnie Federko

24. ScottBentley

It's hard to take anyone seriously wearing that hat. At least he doesn't have a year old beard. :D

25. Bernnie Federko

He looks like a cheesy TV villain with nuff plastic surgery work done