• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie gets off the ground

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
The long-awaited movie version of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy is scheduled to finally get off the ground.

The Spyglass/Disney adaptation of the late Douglas Adams' spoof sci-fi cult is to begin shooting in London in spring 2004, reports Teletext.

Austin Powers and Meet The Parents director Jay Roach had been trying to get the go-ahead for the project for six years.

Roach was firm friends with Adams, and when the author died two years ago the movie was condemned as "too British, too quirky, too expensive," but Roach remained determined to get it made.

Roach was unable to commit himself to directing the film as he had already promised Robert De Niro and Ben Stiller he would direct a Meet The Parents sequel.

Spike Jonze also turned down Hitchhiker's but recommended UK video team Garth Jennings and Nick Goldsmith.

The duo have made videos for Blur and REM, and came up with a pitch that was, according to Roach, "a high production value film at a much lower cost". The studio gave it the green light.

The comedy is the story of a bemused human's space travels after Earth has been demolished to make way for a space bypass.

http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_828320.html

ARTICLE TWO

Love Actually star Bill Nighy and Martin Freeman (Tim from The Office) are set to topline sci-fi comedy The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Talking exclusively to BBCi FILMS, Nighy says he's been cast as alien planet designer Slartibartfast in the long-gestating adaptation of Douglas Adams' novel. Freeman will play Arthur Dent, the everyday Earthling thrust into an interplanetary adventure.

"I'm a big fan of the book and the people who are making it are very cool people and I think they're going to do a good job," says Nighy. "It's a really good script. It's really, really faithful [to the book]. All the jokes are there and they're big fat jokes. It's wonderful. And with all the technology we have now, it can not only be a big satisfying comedy but I figure it could be quite exciting as well."

Nighy also states that a director isn't set yet, although hotshot music vid team Hammer & Tongs (aka writer-director Garth Jennings and producer Nick Goldsmith) were on board last High Noon heard. Fingers crossed, it sounds like this could finally liftoff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2004/01/12/high_noon_jan_12_2004_news_article.shtml

Sweet!

Zorro

TRIBE Member
No way!!! I loved that book when I was kid. I even remeber that first movie they made of it. or was that a mini-series?

echootje

TRIBE Member
Tim from The Office! :)

Has anybody watched that show, it took a while for me to warm up to it. British comedy has evolved and not neccessarily in a good direction but i love the thing now and my roomie has a season on DVD.

Rob

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Zorro
No way!!! I loved that book when I was kid. I even remeber that first movie they made of it. or was that a mini-series?
BBC mini series.

I have it on VHS somewhere.
:D

Can't wait for the movie.

They are making Red Dwarf as well!
:D :D :D

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
Jay Roach? Hmmm... Interesting choice.
At least he's made some great comedies.
Some of my favorites really.

Considering he was a friend of Adam's, let's hope it rubbed off on him.
:D

I always envisioned it being brought to the screen by someone along the lines of Terry Gilliam. He has a knack of making stuff that's unfilmable to life (ie. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas).

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
wonder who's going to play Ford Prefect

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out- it'll likely be hit or miss though (as most movie interpretations of books with cult following are)

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
I always envisioned it being brought to the screen by someone along the lines of Terry Gilliam. He has a knack of making stuff that's unfilmable to life (ie. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas).
I think Gilliam is a little too grandiose for a book like hitchhiker- the book's dry tone would be lost

You think so? I'd think he'd be able to handle it. The book is kind of meant to be grandiose, but dry, and Gilliam can manage the two - cases in point Fear and Loathing and Time Bandits.

seeker

TRIBE Member
i'm with el pres... Gilliam is the man for this kind of endeavour. and disney? oh nos!!1! only time will tell, though

Dudly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Zorro
It was about an eight episode BBC mini-series that they put all together onto the six hour VHS that you can buy now. I remember reading an interview with Adams saying he was not a fan of the end result. Its funny to watch though ... a mixture of good jokes, horrible acting and horribly bad speical effects.

I think Hitch Hikers saga was first originally a radio series, then the first few books, then the T.V., then a RPG computer game, then more books, and now this movie. That some serious mileage.

Anyone read that last book they made from his computer hard drive after he died ... 'Salmon of Doubt'? Some good stuff in there I thought.

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
You think so? I'd think he'd be able to handle it. The book is kind of meant to be grandiose, but dry, and Gilliam can manage the two - cases in point Fear and Loathing and Time Bandits.
I haven't actually seen either but the Gilliam movies I have seen (Fisher King, Brazil, Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Monty Python stuff, etc) seem to smack of epic, (or pretty damn good parodies of epic at least). Spike Jonze (whose movies are a trifle more understated) would be more suitable?

I could see Jonze making it. Just curious if he passed because the project was so big (and since both of his films have been pretty small endevours) or if he just didn't want to risk screwing it up.

derek

TRIBE Member
i'm skeptical.

i lover the books, but scared a movie adaptation may be a failure. the screenplay will be a challenge to write, and keep the quirkiness of the novel.

cheers,

derek

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Hmmmmmm

I too am interested to see who they pick for Ford Prefect

then again, i'd like to know how they're gonna pull of Zaphod's 2nd head.

i hope with paper mache again.