• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

History of video games

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Pretty cool! They seemed to dwell more on the console style games though.

I guess the development of PC games would be another whole study, with the PC vs. Commodore C64/Amiga platform wars (CGA/EGA/VGA vs. simple RGB co-ax video).

It wasn't until the 386 DX2's or even 486's that I felt that PC games were better than my Amiga games.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Lurker said:
Pretty cool! They seemed to dwell more on the console style games though.

I guess the development of PC games would be another whole study, with the PC vs. Commodore C64/Amiga platform wars (CGA/EGA/VGA vs. simple RGB co-ax video).

It wasn't until the 386 DX2's or even 486's that I felt that PC games were better than my Amiga games.
i was running civ 1 on a 286.. and the LucasArts flight sim Battle of Britain. those were the first two pc games that i would classify as great. oh, and police quest of course.

Last edited:

Lurker

TRIBE Member
docta seuss said:
i was running civ 1 on a 286.. and the LucasArts flight sim Battle of Britain. those were the first two pc games that i would classify as great. oh, and police quest of course.
You could run Civ 1 and the <insert>Quest games easy enough on a 286. I had Battle of Britain for the Amiga and it was night & day compared to the same game on my friend's 286. I was always jealous of some of the games that I couldn't get for the Amiga though.

The biggest difference that pc's overcame was their ability to play flight-sim stuff smoothly. Battle of Brittain, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, the Wing Commander series didn't really start getting playable until you had a 386dx with some extra ram (16 meg!!!)