1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

History of Hip-Hop Vol.1/10: Step Into A World(Yes, Yes Y'all!)

Discussion in 'DJ Mixes' started by Illuminati, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Illuminati

Illuminati TRIBE Member

This is something I have been wanting to do for a long while now, but just recentley have found the time to actually knock it out proper. I have been listening and collecting Hip-Hop music for over 20 years and feel compelled to share my knowledge and love for this culture to anyone who wants to listen.

I plan to make each volume in and unique to itself with a focus on each specific and important era, style and fad of Hip-Hop. Starting from the early party rap/electro days to the current era of the genre with every stop your'e hoping for, in between.

C-Mart - History Of Hip-Hop Vol.1/10: Step Into A World - SoundCloud

Hey Dj-The World Famous Supreme Team
    If I Ruled The World-Kurtis Blow
    A Fly Girl-Boogie Boys
    Space Cowboy-Jonzun Crew
    The Freaks Come Out A Night-Whodini
    Genius Rap-Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde
    Feel The Heartbeat-The Treacherous Three
    8th Wonder-Sugar Hill Gang
    The Bubble Bunch-Jimmy Spicer
    Never Let Go-T Ski Valley
    Request Line-Rockmaster Scott & The Dynamic Three
    Rap, Bounce, Rockskate-Trickeration
    The Breaks-Kurtis Blow
    Hey You-The Rocksteady Crew
    Apache-Sugar Hill Gang (Interlude)
    Hey You-The Rocksteady Crew(Yes, again)
    White Lines-Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5
    It's Like That-Run D.M.C
    Planet Rock-Afrika Bambaata

2. Vote_4_Pedro

Vote_4_Pedro TRIBE Member

I can't wait till you hit the sweet spot - '88-'94 for me....
  3. Illuminati

Illuminati TRIBE Member

Those years will be well covered, no worries. This episode will definitely be the most brief of the bunch. I certainly enjoy the early years as much as the next man does(I think), but the majority of the records released at that time were very redundant. Either they were all using very similar breaks or they were using very similar cadence and "call and response" style. I probably could have slid a few more important records of that era, but I think that I covered it with the major tracks of that time.
  4. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

looking forward to this! nice tracks on round 1.
  5. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

sounds good - reminds me of the History of Hip Hop series that The Rub did where they make a mix for every year of hip hop from 79 to 09.

Been getting more into thematic mixes myself - just seems a little more interesting and challenging than just making a mix of tunes or showcasing a genre...
  6. Illuminati

Illuminati TRIBE Member

Thanks for the response.

I will be uploading Vol.2 shortly.
  7. DJ Bolivia

DJ Bolivia TRIBE Member

This is going to be great. I actually played "The Breaks" during a set at a mainstream club last night. The venue usually reacts best to 128 bpm pop/dance, but there was a big group dancing that wanted to hear stuff like "Adventures On The Wheels Of Steel," etc.

I'll be checking back regularly to grab all of these. Many thanks in advance ...
  8. Illuminati

Illuminati TRIBE Member

I will be taking this mix down later today in order to make room on my Soundcloud account. If you wanna gran this then do it soon, ok? I will make it available again later if people are still looking for it.