• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Highspeed Alternate to DSL/Cable??

MalGlo

TRIBE Member
hey guys,

my dads office is in scarborough, markham rd & finch area.. and cable OR DSL is not available there...

Any suggestions as to what they can get for an alternate highspeed solution..right now we have about 10 people there going through a 56K connect. Its sad.. by the time cnn comes up its yesterdays news.

Dave

zoo

TRIBE Member
www.look.ca offers an alternative to bell and rogers

their cable service works through an antenna

not sure how their internet works, although i suspect some sort of dsl system

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

deep

TRIBE Member
afaik look canned their residential offering of their high speed service and are in big time financial trouble.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
There's ISDN, but it's pretty expensive for what you get. I think it's 128kbps and it's a couple of hundred dollars per month.

And the Look thing may work, but last I heard their high-speed was still only available if you're in sight range of the CN tower. And Look is a dodgy ass company that will probably be bankrupt soon anyway.

Pete

Variant

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic:
There's ISDN, but it's pretty expensive for what you get. I think it's 128kbps and it's a couple of hundred dollars per month.

Pete
</font>
It comes in four flavours. 64, 128, 256 and 512. As far as business internet circuits go.. its pretty cheap. But yeah.. for what you get compared to say small office ADSL .. you may want to relocate.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

da MiGHTy pLUm!

TRIBE Member
Look is back, but significantly scaled back, at least that's what I've noticed, since I've done some work for them.

At the moment, they're not offering their ultra-fast service. Seems like they're working more on keeping present customers and attracting businesses first.

I'm looking into alternatives to cable myself since it looks like Bell and Rogers will be placing caps on the amount of traffic.

At present, I'm looking at Primus and DSL.ca, but I'm not too sure what their TOS is like. I hear DSL has a 250MB/day cap but not too sure.....

-ron!

Variant

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic:

Pete
</font>
It comes in four flavours. 64, 128, 256 and 512. As far as business internet circuits go.. its pretty cheap. But yeah.. for what you get compared to say small office ADSL .. you may want to relocate.

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
AOL now as this thing called high speed dial-up. They claim that it actually uses your modem and can send close to 56kpbs. I don't know exactly how it works but im sure other ISP's offer something similar.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
3mb DSL is about all you're going to get that's better, but it's gonna cost you.
I think it's $139 a month... my roommate wants to cancel rogers and get that.

We'll see...

pr0nstar

labRat

TRIBE Member
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

replace tapes with DVD-RAM and station wagon with Ford Focus and it'll make more sense.

--craig

Trini

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MalGlo:
hey guys,

my dads office is in scarborough, markham rd & finch area.. and cable OR DSL is not available there...

</font>
My company is at Markham and Progress, a block north of Finch. AT&T provides us with a T1 connection.