• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

High Sticking

funkinbeats

TRIBE Member
all you hockey fans out there

any predictions as to when they'll make visors mandatory in the NHL?

Even with 2 referees on the ice, high sticking is becoming an epidemic.

How many eyes have to be crushed before this happens?

Don't they make this argument every second year or so, and then it fades into obscurity after like 5 games?

Seriously. I've heard this on the news or on a game, and it's like they totally forget the whole issue by the 4th game in a week or the playoffs, which ever comes first.

Preroller

TRIBE Member
I think WE are hearing more about it right now, cause it happened to Owen Nolan and Darcy Tucker who both play for the Leafs.

You know that whoever did it to them is gonna pay with a beatdown.

DAVE

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Funzo

TRIBE Member
They should have been wearing them in the first place, did they think high sticks or flying pucks don't happen? Play smart, not cool

Zorro

TRIBE Member
You know what though most highsticking incidents would still happen even with a visor. As a mtter of fact when they were talking about this on TSN tonight they showed one guy(forget who) take a prety mean highstick to the face and he was wearing a visor. See the problem is the the sticks aren't being swung like bats but the acutully go straight up and still can get caught between the visor and yuor face.

It's going to be a tough call for sure. I think they should drop the instagtor rule and let them police themselves then these gusy might do a better job of keeping there sticks down.

~ My 2 Cents;)

funkinbeats

TRIBE Member
TSN also said that since most players use graphite sticks that are much lighter than their wooden counterparts, high sticking has become an unnoticeable habit for players these days and shit just happens.....

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Zorro
You know what though most highsticking incidents would still happen even with a visor. As a mtter of fact when they were talking about this on TSN tonight they showed one guy(forget who) take a prety mean highstick to the face and he was wearing a visor.
If by TSN you mean Glenn Healy, he keeps spouting that crap...
in addition to Nolan, Tucker, J.R., J.P. Vigier all were clipped within the last week - none wear visors.
I don't think anybody's ever claimed that it's NEVER going to happen with shields, but doesn't logic dictate it's gonna be harder to get someone's eye if they're wearing one?

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Yeah, the whole high sticking thing has become quite the phenomenon within the NHL...and I don't think mandatory visors are the answer.

Players HAVE to be responsible for use of their stick...same thing as people who drive their car on the road, they are responsible for controlling that vehicle, so players must be resonsible, and held accountable, for their use of their stick.

One great idea that I believe was brought up on Sportsnet last night was having the player that did the infraction suspended for as many games as the injured player was out...So for example, say Darcy Tucker is out 5 games due to his eye injury, so Blake on the Islanders gets a 5 game suspension.

I think that's fair.

T.O.B'

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
I wonder when the Labout Board will get in on this. They can mandate that players wear shields. I can't think of any other industry where these kind of things are overlooked.

twitch

TRIBE Member
Fuck.. I can't believe Tucker has to undertake retinol surgery.
I didn't think the stick hit him in the eye.

He's now gone indefinitly. :mad: