1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

high speed thread:: Rogers vs. Bell vs. Alt

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by adorablehomeboy, Aug 25, 2003.

1. adorablehomeboy

adorablehomeboy TRIBE Promoter

My friend is telling me that Rogers is going to impose a STUPID bandwidth cap of like 1 gig a month starting in Sept. I can't find any thing on their website (big surprise it's such a run around)

So, I thought I'd ask Tribe CNN

Rogers::
    - capped d/l speed of ~150 mps,
    - $60/month
    - current d/l limit -- ???

Bell::
    - close to d/l speed of Rogers (since Roger's keeps capping their bandwidth lower and lower)
    - NO bandwidth cap
    - $44/month plus a I gotta get a landline (right?)

Alternate DSL:
    - have to buy DSL modem,
    - uses Bell lines, but don't know much about this, but the bandwidth deal is good apparently

So what I'm debating is pricing vs. bandwidth

Thanks for your help

2. Isosceles_CAT

Isosceles_CAT TRIBE Promoter

For years they have been saying they are going to start doing this and they havnt yet. And everytime I say that to someone they always reply with 'ya but this time for real'...Hasn't happened yet, maybe it will this time, maybe not. I wouldn't stress over it too much. I beleive the two services are adequetly competitive anyway.

MHO
    Isosceles_CAT

3. deep

deep TRIBE Member

golden triangle

4. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Alternative.

But then again.. I use it ALOT.

5. RJ45

RJ45 TRIBE Member

What's the general opinion of Look Communications?

6. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

Roger's isn't going to cap their bandwidth. Bell tried capping theirs, and it failed miserably, and they've since removed the bandwidth cap on their service because of all the customers they lost that switched over to Roger's. Do you seriously think that Roger's is going to be stupid enough to make the same mistake?

7. smilez

smilez TRIBE Member

I didn't know they were still around!

8. DJ Doublecross

DJ Doublecross TRIBE Member

I use Nothing But Net and have had a great experience so far. Faster than Sympatico (for me at least), and cheaper. It's $29.95 a month for their 1.5mbit line, and if you don't have a modem, you can rent one for $5 a month.

Oh and no plans for a bandwidth cap either.

Rob

9. litespeed

litespeed Well-Known TRIBEr

I have Rogers and Sympatico... Rogers is better.
    Sympatico is still good though.

10. catilyst

catilyst TRIBE Member

the first time they were around they were complete ass monkeys to deal with, then they went under. They're back again now but I'm sure not with them.

11. funkinbeats

funkinbeats TRIBE Member

*hugs his sympatico*

:D

NO LIMITS

12. wayne bradbury

wayne bradbury TRIBE Member

I have to say Rogers. I'm getting faster download speeds than I did with sympatico. Bell on numerous occassions told me they were going to repair the service and supposedly did, but nothing improved. I was lucky to get 128kb/sec downloads. Plus my phone had alot of static while the modem was on.
    So far no complaints with Rogers.

13. torontobarfly

torontobarfly TRIBE Member

after three years with bell sympatico i just switched to rogers and am impressed so far....very fast and excellent service and setup...

i blew ma bell out of the wall and went to a rogers bundle and a cel phone and am saving almost $70 a month...woohoo:D

14. c|dub

c|dub TRIBE Member

Also depends on where you live. ie. In Scarborough, Sympatico might be faster, but in Forest Hill, Rogers might be faster.

Personally, I like Rogers. Stuck with it since the beginning.

15. StarvingWriter

StarvingWriter TRIBE Member

Bell ULtra DSL is kick ass. It's like having a T1 (sometimes faster actually) It's totally amazing.

16. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

17. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

Double the download speed actually! I'm a big fan of 3mb DSL too.

18. Silvershadow

Silvershadow TRIBE Member

Yeah, that's what my bf's got... It costs him $35 a month, but he had to buy his own modem (got it on ebay for a fairly decent price...).

I like my Sympatico... It's never been down in the time I've had it... But yes, you need a land line (same as Golden Triangle). I don't like Rogers, but that's just because I have a personal bias against anything Rogers and back in Ottawa, anybody I knew who had Rogers high speed was constantly bitching about it being down.

19. Yourmamas

Yourmamas TRIBE Member

If anyone needs a modem.....

20. DJ_Science

DJ_Science TRIBE Member

I've had huge technical support problems with Rogers in Hamilton, but I've also had huge customer support problems with Sympatico.