• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Hi.

zoo

TRIBE Member
Anyone heard of a guy named Boxcutter? He's making some very interesting, and very beatiful music. One of my favorite songs by him is called Bad You Do, and it's sort of in the dubstep offshoot genre, a bit too aggressive for typical downtempo, too sparse for drumnbass, and not stoned enough for dub.

Wikipedia has an entry on him:

Boxcutter is an electronic musician from Northern Ireland, who releases on Hotflush Recordings and Planet Mu.

Too bad that's all they have.

Here's a track of his that I like quite a bit, from his Tauhid EP. And before you go all RIAA on me, consider that I've reencoded the mp3 to a lower bitrate (160kbps, widely considered by vinyl-obsessed DJs and audiophile communities to be substandard). It's still listenable on your computer / mp3 player.

http://rapidshare.de/files/16028517/boxcutter-bad_you_do__halfstep_.mp3.html

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

zoo

TRIBE Member
Another one of my favorite singers/songwriters is a guy named Adem. He was the other member in the group Fridge, with Kieran Hebden (aka Four Tet). It's unfortunate that this is often the first thing that comes to mind when telling people about Adem. It's never said that Adem's take on folk rock involves complex melodical arrangements, and appears to be sometimes sequenced rather than played, though the contrary sounds true often as well.

He released an album a few years ago called Homesongs, and it was one of my favorite albums of that year. His new album is going to be officially released at the end of April, but it, like most things, has been leaked to the net for weeks now. It's a more upbeat album than his last, but in terms of mood, not tempo.

This is the lead song to his album "Love and Other Plants". It's representative of his style, but the rest of the album holds so, so much more. I'll be first in line to buy tickets to his next show in southern Ontario.

http://rapidshare.de/files/16091306/adem_-_warning_call.mp3.html

zoo

TRIBE Member
Tonight I went to the Love Is All show, and it fucking kicked ass!! The band is super tight, fun, energetic, animated, and just awesome really. Swedish super-indie-rock-dance-noise-punk-pop. A Swedish woman's shrill, guitars, bass drums, cowbells, and saxophones. Mmmm.

Their album "Nine Times That Same Song" scored an 8.7 on Pitchfork last (this?) winter, which is pretty effin' high ... the critics at Bitchfork don't hand out 8's and 9's too often. And they're right. Love Is All easily made my Top 10 for 2005.

This is a representative song of their style, called "Busy Doing Nothing."

http://rapidshare.de/files/16116648/love_is_all-busy_doing_nothing.mp3.html

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
zoo said:
Tonight I went to the Love Is All show, and it fucking kicked ass!! The band is super tight, fun, energetic, animated, and just awesome really. Swedish super-indie-rock-dance-noise-punk-pop. A Swedish woman's shrill, guitars, bass drums, cowbells, and saxophones. Mmmm.

Their album "Nine Times That Same Song" scored an 8.7 on Pitchfork last (this?) winter, which is pretty effin' high ... the critics at Bitchfork don't hand out 8's and 9's too often. And they're right. Love Is All easily made my Top 10 for 2005.

This is a representative song of their style, called "Busy Doing Nothing."

http://rapidshare.de/files/16116648/love_is_all-busy_doing_nothing.mp3.html

Shoulda posted this link last week before I got my Annie tickets. That song was awesome, though hardly downtempo.

PM me your top 10 list again.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

zoo

TRIBE Member
My Top 10 (11?) of 2005

bloc party - silent alarm
camille - le fil
jori hulkkonen - dualizm
roisin murphy - ruby blue
sleater-kinney - the woods
tom vek - we have sound
venetian snares - rossz csillag allat szui^lettet
vitalic - ok cowboy
wolf parade - apologies to queen mary
MIA - arular
love is all - 9 times that same song
architecture in helsinki - in case we die

Also I agree, that song isn't at all downtempo.

zoo

TRIBE Member
One of my favorite producers ever is accomplished hiphop artist Sixtoo, a Canadian from the East Coast who's spent time in most of our country's major cities. He grew up living hiphop, especially the more abstract side, and after a bunch of collaborations with Buck 65 and the Anticon collective, He released a few solo albums, all of which were instant underground hits. In 2003, he and buddy Stigg Of The Dump released an album under the name Villain Accelerate. It's an "instrumental" hiphop type album, but very downtempo, and every bit as dark and mysterious as you'd expect the outcome of a collaboration between these two producers to be. It flew under most people's radar, but anyone who did manage to find it certainly enjoyed it.

The entire album is very much on theme, and works very well as a complete hour's worth of comatose-hop -- subtle and intricate, inoffensive and dark.

This is downbeat hiphop, recorded in hi-fi with a lo-fi mentality - tracks driven by crisply etched drums, with electric basslines played live by a slew of guest musicians, scratches worked deep into the productions, and buried by muted horns and tinkling keys.

Here's the song "Revisit" from their 2003 album "Maid Of Gold".

http://rapidshare.de/files/16252365/Villain_Accelerate_-_revisit.mp3.html

zoo

TRIBE Member
One dude the Canadian music hipster media can't stop talking about is Cadence Weapon. I'll agree that he's offering something fresh to the Canadian (and even world) hiphop scene, but I'm not sure if he's exactly poised to be the next MF, EL-P, or even the next Dizzee. Like the other three he produces and raps, but there's something about his flow that alienates purists; this isn't a bad thing though -- it means he's doing something relatively unique.

He doesn't have alot of commercial appeal, but the best musicians rarely do.

19 year old Edmonton rapper/ producer who likes pina coladas, walking in the rain and foldback distortion. big drums, personal raps, etc. Toronto girls say he talks like a robot. he doesn't agree with them. he spends a lot of time on the computer.

This is his track entitled "Julie Will Jump The Broom." It's my favorite on his new album, and while only representative of his flow, it's a nice peak into effortless production that borders on a southern akufen.

http://rapidshare.de/files/16307279/cadence_weapon-julie_will_jump_the_broom.mp3.html

zee

TRIBE Member
^ i haven't checked his new album but his lady sov remix is seriously really really horrible

i guess this is the type of music that ex-pitchfork writers make ;p

zoo

TRIBE Member
I agree, I think some of his tracks are pure misses. And I was surprised when I read he used to write for PF ... I thought you needed at least a Masters of Arts in some field like Media / Cultural Studies or Abstract Imagery In Writing before you could write there! :p

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
zoo said:
... I thought you needed at least a Masters of Arts in some field like Media / Cultural Studies or Abstract Imagery In Writing before you could write there! :p

Blah blah blah. Could somebody get past the fact that this guy is a musician who happens to be a writer? It's weird that music writers of all people can't forgive this cardinal sin. Every mention I've seen of his work talks about pitchfork.. WHO CARES?? Newsflash, EVERY MC IS A WRITER.

,g

edit: zoo, I don't expect you to have any answers for this. I've just found the way this artist has been framed by the press (and go figure, subsequently the public) has been really irritating.

Last edited:

zoo

TRIBE Member
I'm not surprised a musican is a writer; I'm surprised that a 19 year old without a post-secondary Fine Arts degree is (was) writing for Pitchfork :p

zee

TRIBE Member
well it was of interest for me, because i wanted to see if the god-awful pretentious writing i've come to expect from pitchfork translated into god-awful music
for the song i heard, it did