• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Hi Tribe, Can we talk unemployment?

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Thinking back, the thing that bugged me the most about PFT IT positions is that, for the most part, employers will make you grind and beg for that 3% raise a year. 4%? You have to exceed expectations. 5%? You have to be "exceptional". Less than 1% of the company will be in the "exceeds expectations" or "exceptional" category. So, say you're making $80K/year. In order to crack $100K, you'd have to work at a place for 8 years @ 3% raises per year and that's assuming the cap for your current position isn't lower than $100K. This bothered me very much so I couldn't do PFT anymore -I wasn't going to work my balls off for 8 years to barely break the 6-figure mark. I guess it all depends on your goals.

For me, contracting is nice because you can work hard for a bit, make some money, and then take a few months off and do whatever.

Sorry, I'm taking the thread way off course.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

wickedken

TRIBE Member
In my industry its common to only expect the larger (>2%) raises when you switch jobs and move elsewhere. It's not uncommon to get 10%+ bumps in salary by doing this. On the flip side, on contract, you get the "benefit" of not having any withholding unless you choose to contribute to those programs.... which really sucks when you need EI.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
What's the deal with cover letters now? Is there still an expectation to see some sort of focused introduction?

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I imagine it depends. Applying for contracts by completing a skills matrix and SoW, I've come across employers that want a cover letter and some that don't.

I don't think it would ever be wrong to include one. It's a "take it or leave it" kind of thing from the employer standpoint so, from the side of a potential candidate, it's better to have and not need. I always include one.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Has anyone noticed that some companies repeatedly post for the same position every so often? Does anyone know if this is an HR-thing, like judging market demand, as opposed to high turnover?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Depends on the job. In my industry there is a dearth of real talent, so turn-over happens when someone doesn't meet needs (or moves on because they can do better).

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Telecom, usually probationary. Rarely contract, but contracts are popular with the bigger players.

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Seeing the same employers post the same positions over and over again is quite common in IT... Lack of talent, contracts as standard hiring practice, etc.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
In the network field getting competent people who have used BGP is really hard. But if you can, you can almost write your own ticket.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
What's the deal with cover letters now? Is there still an expectation to see some sort of focused introduction?

I think they're still expected.

A cover letter, done well, can be more important than your actual resume.

On an unrelated note, a guy I work with quit to "find himself". I wish I had the balls to do that. It takes some guts to quit a good job just so you can work out "how you feel".

Or maybe he lives in his mom's basement still. I don't know.

-jM
A&D

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Had an interview today. Seemed cool. I thought I was going to get axe murdered since it was in a house.

Super legit. But what they really wanted to know, if i was a looser or not.

I said yes.

This is every job interview, even at corporate level.

So can I know about you're personal life? Yeah got a girlfriend for 10 years, I like soccer, and I'm sort of a fuck up. Happy?

Same shit every interview now the past 7 months.