• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Hey, we have an election too.

AshG

el presidente Highsteppa said:
Anyone else fucking gobsmacked by how Jim Flaherty got re-elected?

What the fuck is in the water in Whitby?

that guy is a shoe-in every time he runs there, which at first blush, doesn't seem to make sense. of all places, oshawa, union city, how can it happen?

the answer is that its mainly because the voter turnout is heavily skewed towards the older end of the spectrum.

that guy is such a walking boondoggle, the shit he's pulled and gotten away with is just mind blowing.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Colm said:
Jim Harris brought legitimacy (and one of its biggest vote gains) and a lot of cash to the Greens. He may not have sat well with some of the Greens - I think the hardcores feared he was the granola version of Harper - but he sat well enough with enough voters to bring them a measure of previously unheard of success in 2006. May might be earnest, but she is very dumb too; her verbalization of her 'pro-life views' to her very pro-choice base, her hard-nipples for Dion, and her decision to run against one of the most popular Conservative leaders in his own rididng are not the moves of a capable political leader. If we're looking at relative gains, Harris moved the party further down the road than May has, even though she had twice the political capital.

I agree with your critique of May or EME (as they say). The GPC's success under Jim's leadership was in spite of him, not because of him. Jim was too busy in fighting. He really didn't do much. His fund raising capabilities were good relative to Green party standards.

akiras

TRIBE Member
Colm said:
If we're looking at relative gains, Harris moved the party further down the road than May has, even though she had twice the political capital.

Agreed. Several times throughout the campaign May also encouraged Green supporters to vote strategically in some ridings, stating that it was more important to dethrone Harper than to elect more Greens. It was an odd strategy for a party leader. Encouraging her own voters to cast their ballot for another party is not the best way to make political inroads for a party which already suffers from peripheral status.

http://www.thestar.com/federalelection/article/516393

Colm

TRIBE Member
May's calls to have her supporters 'vote strategically' also reflects poorly on her integrity. Post-election (well, even pre-election), it was such a sad attempt on her behalf to win some sway with Dion's ruling faction in the LPC at the of the rest of the GPC. I wonder what she was thinking, that she would be named Minister of the Environment?

zoo

TRIBE Member
el presidente Highsteppa said:
It was based on a Commodore 64 game. More people have seen SCTV which would explain the huge margin he won by.

Awesome game! (I knew the Nintendo version).

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Colm said:
May's calls to have her supporters 'vote strategically' also reflects poorly on her integrity. Post-election (well, even pre-election), it was such a sad attempt on her behalf to win some sway with Dion's ruling faction in the LPC at the of the rest of the GPC. I wonder what she was thinking, that she would be named Minister of the Environment?

Yeah... I have no idea what they were trying to pull. I understand that May is from NS which is why she did her campaign there. She is also not very fond of Ontario. She basically ignored every major Ontario constituent. Her poor managerial skills were brought to the Greens attention well ahead of time. She left the Sierra Club in shambles.

acheron

TRIBE Member
that basically confirms what the Libs have been saying since the election, even the ones baying for blood - wait for the leadership review and then replace him.

thom100

TRIBE Member
are the conservatives serious, could we actually be heading for another election after just 2 months?

Symbolic cuts to politicians' perks, temporary relief for pension plans and an end to the $30 million public subsidy to political parties are some of the expected highlights of Thursday's federal economic statement.

Finance Minister Jim Flaherty will ask the five political parties to give up the $1.95-per-vote subsidy that parties use to pay for staff and expenses.

Opposition parties are likely to see the measure as a declaration of war only weeks after the election because of the Conservatives' commanding strength in fundraising.

Vic Toews, a Conservative and president of the Treasury Board, rejected the suggestion that a subsidy cut would mostly affect the opposition.

"It would hurt us the most," said Vic Toews, although he refused to confirm that subsidy cuts were part of the fiscal update.

Such a measure would cost the cash-strapped Liberals $7.7 million, the NDP $4.9 million while the Bloc Québécois would take a $2.6-million hit and the fledgling Green party would be out $1.8 million.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservatives, who won the most votes, stand to lose $10 million. However, the taxpayer subsidy represents just 37 per cent of the total amount of money in the Conservative coffers.

By comparison, the subsidy amounts to 63 per cent of the Liberals' revenues, 86 per cent of the Bloc's, 57 per cent of the NDP's and 65 per cent of the Green's.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/11/26/update-subsidy.html

this will be a vote of confidence, what a joke.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
This is crazy. So basically, the Libs, NDP, Bloc, and Greens have to give up the majority of their funding or force yet another election.

This country is in such a mess it's laughable. We'll have an election every six months at this rate!

thom100

TRIBE Member
yup give up public funding or cause another 300 million dollar election two months after the last useless one. Harpers true colours as a bully are shining through.

Colm

TRIBE Member
Ouch. I don't like this and I'm a small 'c' conservative. While I agree in principle with an abolition of federal funding for political parties, I think it's better to phase this in so that all effected groups have an opportunity to replaced the money that's being taken away. How exactly did the Conservatives become the richest party with the best fundraising base?

Although if it were just the Bloc and the Greens losing cash I'd be quite happy.