• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Hey guess what? Cineplex is going to charge you for good seating..

Cineplex to test surcharge for best movie seats | Toronto Star

Cineplex to test surcharge for best movie seats
Later this year, at the Odeon Varsity, the company will launch a pilot project in which patrons pay an extra $2-$3 for the prime seats in the middle rows of the theatre.

Later this year, at the Odeon Varsity location, Cineplex will launch a pilot project in which patrons pay an extra $2-$3 for the prime seats in the middle rows of the theatre. CANADIAN PRESS FILE PHOTO
By: Ashante Infantry Business reporter, Published on Wed May 14 2014

Never mind getting to the theatre early and lining up for a chance at the best seats, Cineplex is going to start charging moviegoers extra to sit in them.

Later this year, at the Varsity location in Toronto’s Manulife Centre, the company will launch a pilot project in which patrons pay an extra $2-$3 for the prime seats in the middle rows of the theatre.

“We’ve had great success with our UltraAVX cinemas ($3-$5 surcharge) as well as our VIP cinemas ($7-$12 surcharge) which both offer reserved seating; and so people really like that opportunity,” said spokeswoman Pat Marshall.

“It’s really about providing our guests with choices when they go to the movies . . . I sort of position it akin to an aircraft where you have your regular coach seating, then you might want a bit more amenities, so you go into business class, and then you have a first-class.”

The airline analogy may not sit well with consumers already feeling nickelled-and-dimed by the airline industry, which now routinely charges for once free snacks, blankets and headsets.

“It all hinges on whether they see value in sitting in that particular area,” said Brock University marketing professor and pricing expert Eric Dolansky, when asked whether consumers will embrace the Cineplex concept.

“I’m an avid moviegoer myself. I prefer to sit there. Would I pay extra to sit there? It’s difficult to say.

“I don’t perceive myself as seeing $2-3 worth of value unless there’s something special about those seats. If I can sit in the fourth row up for $2 less I would rather do that.”

And just like on a plane when the door slams shut, imagine the seat dance that will occur if the premium seats are empty when the film begins.

“Guests could certainly occupy those seats, but if at some point later on during the presentation the guests who have those reserved seats arrive they will be asked to move,” said Marshall. “We wouldn’t encourage that because it’s not only disruptive to them in the audience, but it’s also disruptive to all those folks around them.”

Fortunately, not everyone wants to sit in the traditional best in house seats.

“Some people absolutely believe that to be the sweet spot, but I’ve spoken with many filmgoers over the years and often they say the older you get the further back in the auditorium you tend to go,” said Marshall. “If you’re young you tend to be right up front; as you age, you move towards the middle; and as you get older, you want to go to the very back.”

The company is also planning to expand its arcade offerings.

“It represents about $66 million a year to us in annual revenue; it’s a lot of money and we see that there are opportunities to grow that business,” said Marshall.
Premium seating charge. Fuuuuuuuck that.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps if they actually steam cleaned the seating... Or stopped showing 30 minutes of commercials before the movie...

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
I'm ok to pay more to book my seat but FUCK you if i'm paying more to sit in the middle. I will download every movie twice just to spite you.

Yeah, I don't see this really being an incentive for people to stop downloading shit.

I understand the movie theatre industry is hurting, but this is not the way to go about trying to recoup costs.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
how the fuck are they hurting???
9 bucks for 1 cent worth of popcorn, 9 bucks for less than a cent for pop?

give me a break

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kuba

TRIBE Member
I love this idea. It'll weed out some dickheads who are too cheap to sit in the good seats, and therefore neanderthals who talk, chew like apes, use their cell phones becuase their attention spans are that of gnats, and any other mean derogatory thing I can add about asswipes like that.

However the movie industry isn't hurting. Take a look at cineplex stock. hell, be smart and buy some. It's doing well and it WILL do well.

Movie Box Office Results by Year, 1980-Present - Box Office Mojo

We aren't seeing mass growth but $10B per year is not hurting and the numbers are going up not down.

(albeit slightly)

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
I can't believe I'm agreeing with kuba, but I am. I haven't seen a movie in a cinema since the Hobbit 2013. Granted I haven't been able to sit for long periods since November, but that is only part of the reason why.

This is awesome! I'm tired of going to the theatre, paying a fortune, getting crap seats and having to deal with hooligans next to me. Yeah, I'm that old woman complaining. Call me crazy that I want to actually hear the dialogue in an action flic as opposed to their salacious commentary on the babe they want to f*ck.

Yes, I know this will probably not prevent that, but reserving a seat in a prime area may mean that the person next to me is actually interested in the movie.. and not the size of whozits boobs.

I've stood in line for a movie, talking with the ppl in front. Suddenly we were told to move to the right. As it was confusing, the people behind us (6 of them) suddenly pushed in front of us. I told them they butt in. They ignored us. I then talked to the people in front of them, who confirmed and agreed we were directly behind them and that they needed to move or we would all call security. They slinked off quickly.

I'm too old to deal with that crap anymore.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
You're not put in a separate room or anything, these hooligans you're talking about are probably sitting right behind you paying $2-3 less.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Premium seating charge. Fuuuuuuuck that.
. . .

Another day another joke. How about they add some heated seating to offset the frigid air conditioning. Might as well help melt the Arctic Ice a little faster while we choke down processed garbage. "What's he mean, the movie or the food"? Yeah hard to tell right, it's all shit. Shit upon shit. Keep buying into it though, when the next civilization finds artifacts they will get a good chuckle out of what morons we were.

Maui

TRIBE Member
how the fuck are they hurting???
9 bucks for 1 cent worth of popcorn, 9 bucks for less than a cent for pop?

give me a break
But don't you know, if they are not growing 20 billion dollars a year, they have failed the capitalism requirement, and the board of directors will not be able to afford the eastern mornay sauce for their monthly dead baby dinners.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Going to see Godzilla tonight with a free pass. I have one more pass, and I think that will be it for ever going to the theatre again. *Except for James Cameron's movies every 5 - 10 years.

Just like I made a statement when I stopped buying toilet paper over a decade a ago, it's time to make another.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
I love this idea. It'll weed out some dickheads who are too cheap to sit in the good seats, and therefore neanderthals who talk, chew like apes, use their cell phones becuase their attention spans are that of gnats, and any other mean derogatory thing I can add about asswipes like that.
You're not put in a separate room or anything, these hooligans you're talking about are probably sitting right behind you paying $2-3 less.
the deduction that dickheads and douchebags can't afford to spend $2-3 more is seriously flawed.

it will have zero effect on how people behave, this is simply cineplex nickel and diming everyone.

JoshuaReid

TRIBE Member
I'm confused by this. In the article, they mention UltraAVX. Don't we all pay a premium to pick our own seats in this theatre? And so now, you get to pick your seats, but you dont get to pick the middle unless you pay an extra premium on top of the premium i'm already paying? The reason why I see movies in UltaAVX is simply because I want to be able to choose my own seat. I dont mind paying the extra for this feature. But that's also because I usually buy for a night where I can grab a middle seat. Premium on premium is not so cool if you ask me.

acheron

TRIBE Member
naw they're not saying they're changing ultra avx or VIP - just adding premium prices to the "best" seats in conventional theatres/showings.

Which doesn't matter to me as I am one of those 'moving further back in the theatre as I age' people.

praktik

TRIBE Member
They're gonna have to step up their enforcement and staff if they do this. We booked middle/middle for Gravity, got to theatre and there was row of like, 6 bouncing kids and a dad all set up with drinks and popcorn and candy, all sitting in our seats.

I'm like "hey we booked these"

The dad/chaperone is like "Tell me about it buddy someone was sitting in our seats!"

we ended up jammed way to the left and up close, kind of ruined some of the effects in 3D, had shadows of objects hanging opposite our angle...

If they charge more for good seats then they're gonna need staff there to sort out conflicts like this.

Primavera

TRIBE Member
the deduction that dickheads and douchebags can't afford to spend $2-3 more is seriously flawed.

it will have zero effect on how people behave, this is simply cineplex nickel and diming everyone.
This

It's going to have zero effect on your experience of going to the movies. People paying an extra $2-3 on top of their $15-20 a ticket won't be nice, quiet, respectful movie fans.

Bare in mind they probably are just going to put this in place on theatres that ALREADY HAVE ASSIGNED SEATING.

If you haven't gone to the theatre in a while, all the Imax theatres and UltraAVX theatres and VIP have assigned seating.

Which is awesome if you are (like me) someone decides on a movie days in advance and picks out seats online days in advance and my friends and I can roll into our seats minutes before showtime.

If you get shitty seats to movies and THAT is your reason for not going to the theatre, then that's your own fault. Either go the assigned seating route (for movies playing in IMAX/UltraAVX) or go VIP or for regular non-assigned seating theatres just GET THERE EARLY.

It isn't complicated.

This is just Cineplex being dickheads as usual and will be charging an extra $2-3 on top of the already $15-19 for IMAX/UltraAVX tickets for the prime rows of seating.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I think the best theatres to go to are the VIP 19+. They're making one in my area and I'll pay way more to go there and have a beer and watch a movie instead of to the mass market theatres. But like I said - invest in cineplex!

Primavera

TRIBE Member
They're gonna have to step up their enforcement and staff if they do this. We booked middle/middle for Gravity, got to theatre and there was row of like, 6 bouncing kids and a dad all set up with drinks and popcorn and candy, all sitting in our seats.

I'm like "hey we booked these"

The dad/chaperone is like "Tell me about it buddy someone was sitting in our seats!"

we ended up jammed way to the left and up close, kind of ruined some of the effects in 3D, had shadows of objects hanging opposite our angle...

If they charge more for good seats then they're gonna need staff there to sort out conflicts like this.
Why didn't you go get one of the ushers to sort it out. Did you show up when the movie had already started?

I wouldn't stand for that shit. The usher can get the people out of the dad's seats and get you into yours.

I've booked assigned seats for at least a dozen movies at Cineplex and never had a problem.

praktik

TRIBE Member
We got there right as the previews were up (why rush if you have reserved seats??)- if it was a bunch of teenagers I would have thrown a fit.

It was the little kid factor - a stressed out chaperone needing to move 6 well-ensconced kids and all their food I was like, well fuck it...

praktik

TRIBE Member
Watch out if Primavera is in the theatre though - he might yell out a spoiler and ruin the impending death of a character like he did in the Game of Thrones thread

And then never apologize or admit the faux-pas

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I go to the theatre quite often. The key to avoiding idiots is not to go on opening weekend. Let the movie percolate for a few weeks and then go.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
For me, the novelty of the theatre experience died years ago. Overpriced food, (with few exceptions) no beers during a movie, can't pause to take a piss. I will continue to wait until movies arrive in my On-Demand menu.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders