• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Hey Corktown, what's poppin'?

djfear

TRIBE Member
...and Distillery... and St Lawrence...Old town...West Don Lands...

Anyone live in the area bordering DVP, Gardiner, Church, & Queen? I just moved into the area. What are your favourite spots? What are your thoughts on River City? This place is sort of quiet in the sense of nightlife, and it doesn't have a huge array of bars, probably has too many furniture stores, and there are a few dead spots but it definitely has character.

I'll probably be swinging by Leslieville & Riverside more often now, and St Lawrence Market will be my baby again. Can't complain about a 20 minute walk to work! :)

djfear

TRIBE Member
Prohibition (Queen just west of Broadview). Great meeting place with awesome food.
Haha the "so whats so great about leslieville" folks won't appreciate their bar being thread hijacked ;) (even though its technically riverside).

I actually lived at queen and river above fusilli's and crossed the bridge often to hit up prohibition. But since I mentioned fusilli's, I will say its a cool spot and Giuseppe is the nicest guy around with great food.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
I am at Queen n River beside the Humane Society... Coffee I go to the Dark Horse and for great thai Thai 2 Go at Gerrard and River...

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I lived in that area for 7 years from 2001-2008 at 383 Adelaide E. Watched all the condos go up. There are some things I really miss about it, like being so close to the St. Lawrence Market. And only a 15-20 minute walk to the Eaton Centre.

The Don Lands area will be the next Liberty Village in about 5-10 years from now.

Weezie's on King just east of Parliament is a great little restaurant that we return to often.

I dropped in to the new bar that's opened where Laide used to be recently. Looks like it has potential. Didn't try the food though.

Petite Dejeuner used to be our favourite place for brunch ... then everyone else found out about it ... sort of like Lady Marmalade here in Leslieville.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

LikeASweet

TRIBE Member
I dont live in that area but Ive always enjoyed Pravda vodka bar. I dig the Russian decor despite the crowd it tends to draw on occasion.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Gilead Cafe is pretty good for a lunch spot or afternoon snack. It's in the tucked away alley on King about 2 blocks east of Parliament.

Betty's is good if you're looking to meet up in a college bar type setting.

Jason George is great in the summer. Get the fried pickles.

Kultura is a good evening spot.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
George Street Cafe is pretty good alternative to Petite Dejeuner given the line ups Petite gets.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member
Betty's- decent draught selection, awful food, completely indifferent staff

Jason George- ok draught selection ,good food, good staff

Upfront Bar & Grill- ok draught selection. good pub food, interesting staff

Gabby's on King- blech.

On the Rocks- just say no

Bolet's Burrito= good burritos cheap

Patrician Grill- quintessential greasy spoon

Sukho Thai- some of the best Thai I've had in the city

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Yet to try but Paintbox Bistro across from the new aquatic centre has a halal pwyc or $5 buffet on Fridays from 2 - 5... I may go tmmrw and check it out...

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
i live in the paintbox condos and the bistro is awesome. not sure if it's considered part of the hood.

the best burger near by is definitely No Bull Burgers. i think it beats apache. never thought i would say that. yum. soulvaki express (attached to no bull) has the best soulvaki on a pita.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Checked out the new park COrktown Common at the bottom of lower river and have to say what a great park... I can't believe how well established thevegetation is and the wetlands are beautiful...
Most of the landscape work has been done for over a year, I think giving it a chance to grow in was part of the plan before allowing public access.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
two slides and sand does not a playground make.

I like the looks of it but can't you put in some kind of teak see-saw or something?

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
two slides and sand does not a playground make.

I like the looks of it but can't you put in some kind of teak see-saw or something?
There is more equipment not in the shot, swings, teeter totter, cargo net, and some horsey ridey things... That big slide is a blast to go down...

djfear

TRIBE Member
Walking around the neighbourhood makes me realize just how massive this whole river city / canary district / west donlands development is...

The Canary District - The Canary District

It's just freakin' massive but yes, it won't be really ready for another few years, though I imagine once the Pan Am Games are here in 2 years time the majority of it will be developed.