• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Hey Balazz.....answer a Cisco Question for me.

crave_e

TRIBE Member
....does Cisco's IOS IP/IPX support the conversion of IPX to IP on a 1721 Router....the service is TLS.

All my engineers are gone for the day.
 

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by crave_e
....does Cisco's IOS IP/IPX support the conversion of IPX to IP on a 1721 Router....the service is TLS.

All my engineers are gone for the day.
What do you mean by conversion? You can tunnel IPX through a GRE tunnel if that's what you mean.
 

crave_e

TRIBE Member
on my quick referenc guide.
the regular IOS just supports IP.

So they recommend upgrading software.
Wondering if the software is enough, or do we need switches/conversion type boxes in the background to do the conversion.

He is running some contivity boxes that are doing the conversion right now...but will the Cisco + IOS IP/IPX allow IPX to move over the network, or does he need more contivity boxes.

Thanks man.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

~atp~

TRIBE Member
As a side note, I just set up ssh port redirection to give me an encrypted ppp channel into a remote CVS server. It's really slick.

I like it more than running gre packets back and forth with a pptp server.


:)
 

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
As a side note, I just set up ssh port redirection to give me an encrypted ppp channel into a remote CVS server. It's really slick.

I like it more than running gre packets back and forth with a pptp server.


:)
You can't tunnel other protocols within ssh though can you? I've done some total nerd stuff...encapsulating ppp within gre tunnels for ppp multilink and such. Good times...good times. :D
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
As a side note, I just set up ssh port redirection to give me an encrypted ppp channel into a remote CVS server. It's really slick
fucking hate... and I mean HATE, CVS.

piece of crap.
 

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by the_fornicator
fucking hate... and I mean HATE, CVS.

piece of crap.
Really? I like it. Subversion is (potentially) even better...http://subversion.tigris.org/

I like the idea of "concurrent" programming...the Eclipse CVS plug-in is decent; the merge tool is a bit lacking, but overall, very nicely integrated with cvs.

Originally posted by Balzz
You can't tunnel other protocols within ssh though can you? I've done some total nerd stuff...encapsulating ppp within gre tunnels for ppp multilink and such. Good times...good times.
Yah, see I normally pump PPP through a GRE tunnel to a PPTP server, but I don't find it to be the "easiest" way to do things. You can use ssh's port forwarding mechanisms to pump any protocol at all through an encrypted ssh connection.

On host A I do:

ssh w.x.y.z -L 6000:192.168.1.2:80

Which will take connections connecting on the localhost at port 6000, send them (encrypted) to w.x.y.z (host B) and forward them to 192.168.1.2:80.

So, then, I could do this on host A:

lynx localhost:6000

and I then have set up a secured connection to my internal web server.

Slick eh? ;)
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
Really? I like it. Subversion is (potentially) even better...http://subversion.tigris.org/

I like the idea of "concurrent" programming...the Eclipse CVS plug-in is decent; the merge tool is a bit lacking, but overall, very nicely integrated with cvs.
I dunno, maybe it was the version that I was using. I had to use it at my last job and it was jsut fucking horrible.

my main problem was with, as you mentioned, the merge tool. It merged shit when you didn't want it to (which costed us TONS of backlogged hours) and it never merged shit when you wanted it to.

again, mayhaps it was the version we were using. I didn't stick around that place long tho.
 

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by the_fornicator
I dunno, maybe it was the version that I was using. I had to use it at my last job and it was jsut fucking horrible.

my main problem was with, as you mentioned, the merge tool. It merged shit when you didn't want it to (which costed us TONS of backlogged hours) and it never merged shit when you wanted it to.

again, mayhaps it was the version we were using. I didn't stick around that place long tho.
lol sounds like someone (not you but "them") didn't have things set up properly. Most administrators are very good at pretending they know what they're doing. ;)

:D
 

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Our stupid time capture system is on a web server I need to ssh and portforward to though. Booooourns.
 
Top