• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

here's one for you

Caz

TRIBE Member
does anyone know what game George and Jerry play in Seinfeld to settle a dispute?

Ive seen it in a few episodes, I saw it tonite on the one where the waitress steals the stellar apartment from them

it's something like paper/rock, only they use odd/even numbers represented by their fingers.

they say some sentence really fast, and then throw their fingers up, either 1 finger, or 2, and so on



anyone?
 
There is no official name for it, but I call it "Odds/Evens". The line they say before playing their hand is: "Once, twice, three, shoot!"

The other game is the one that Kramer and Newman play: "One Spot, Two Spot"

One spot, two spot, zig-zag-tear.
pop-die, pennygot, tennyum, tear.
har'em, scare 'em, rip 'em, tear 'em,
tay-taw-toe.

Cheers ... Ian :)
 
Re: Re: here's one for you

Originally posted by Soundstream
There is no official name for it, but I call it "Odds/Evens". The line they say before playing their hand is: "Once, twice, three, shoot!"

The other game is the one that Kramer and Newman play: "One Spot, Two Spot"

One spot, two spot, zig-zag-tear.
pop-die, pennygot, tennyum, tear.
har'em, scare 'em, rip 'em, tear 'em,
tay-taw-toe.

Cheers ... Ian :)

LOL!!

thats awesome:)

how does the adds/evens actually work? i wanna learn!
 
Re: Re: Re: here's one for you

Originally posted by caz
LOL!!

thats awesome:)

how does the adds/evens actually work? i wanna learn!

one side picks odd
the other
even

make your number... even or odd ....counting both hands fingers... you win.
 
Subscribe to Cannabis Goldsmith, wherever you get your podcasts
you announce odd or even before you throw. You then throw either an odd or even number of fingers. The combination of both players fingers will add up to odd or even. If it's what you called ahead of time, you win.
 
Speaking of which, a kid taught me the 9 times table trick last week.

Hold out both your hangs with fingers extended, with palms facing you. For example: 4 X 9... Counting from left to right, put down the 4th finger (ring finger on left hand).
3 fingers to the left of the ring finger, 6 fingers to the right of the ring finger. 36!

6 x 9 = 5 fingers to the left of the ring finger on the right hand, 4 fingers to the right. 54!

It works with 1 - 10.
 
Originally posted by MoFo
Speaking of which, a kid taught me the 9 times table trick last week.
The trick that I learned when I was like 4 years old was:

1 x 9 = 09

1. For each increment of 9, increase the first digit by 1, and decrease the second digit by 1.

09
18
27
36
45
54
63
72
81
90

2. Sign up for U of Waterloo math program
3. Profit

Cheers ... Ian :)
 
You can also add the digits together. They always add up to make 9!

I used to love that math show. I forgot what it was called but it was PBS and they had Mathnet or something..
And Ida Wanna who always said "Ida wanna do that!"
 
I just memorized the fvck outta the tables and I drilled them into my head (learned them) none of this trick stuff with your fingers.. we weren't allowed to use fingers or the teacher would give us another sum or division or subtraction exercise if they caught us looking at our fingers... oh yea.. I won a contest on grade 1.
It was a multiplication tables contest... I won $5.00 from the teacher. I was rich! five bucks could get you a lot!

I remember the last question was 9*9 and the other kid didn't get his questions which was like 10*11 or something like that.
first time I won something..i was chuffed for sure.


oh yea.. tribe is not my blog...sorry.


this post just reminded me of that..

ps. disclaimer.. I am alright at math... not great.
 
Last edited:
Subscribe to Cannabis Goldsmith, wherever you get your podcasts
Originally posted by chipotle
I just memorized the fvck outta the tables and I drilled them into my head (learned them) none of this trick stuff with your fingers.
I did too. I think I was maybe 5 or 6 when I knew all the times tables up to 12 x 12. I was in school in the UK then, and they made you memorize them early in your scholastic career.

Cheers ... Ian :)
 
When I was in public school the teacher made us sing nursery rhymes that had numbers instead of the words. There was a song for the 3 through 9 times tables.

Seriously, you have to hear me sing this things. You can recognise the songs. It worked though. I knew all my times tables cold by singing these songs.
 
Originally posted by MoFo
You can also add the digits together. They always add up to make 9!

I used to love that math show. I forgot what it was called but it was PBS and they had Mathnet or something..
And Ida Wanna who always said "Ida wanna do that!"

Square One -- that show was great!
 
I remember blowing away my grade 10 math teacher after watching Square One.

Ok, here's the absolute best math trick ever. You can work out everything from 11x11 to 19x19 in you head:

eg. 14x16 = 224

1. Add the ones column digit of the second number to the first number, and tack a zero onto the end. (eg, 14+6=20, tack a zero, = 200)

2. Multiply the ones column digit in both numbers together. (eg, 4x6=24)

3. Add those two numbers together. (200+24=224)

15x17 = 15+7=22 -> 220 + 7x5=35 -> 255

I'm pretty sure I could have weaseled my way into Harvard with the amount of people I've convinced I'm a genius using this. I used to be able to rhyme off everything up to 19x19 without even thinking about it.
 
Subscribe to Cannabis Goldsmith, wherever you get your podcasts
Top