1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Herbie Hancock at Nathan Phillips Square

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by erika, Jun 27, 2010.

1. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Surprisingly, this jazz-fest event actually did take place last night.
    We didn't know if it was going to unfold or not given the insane events of the day.
    Stopped for a bite at the one restaurant open on Elm St, then made our way down and arrived during intermission.
    The tent was pretty full - not a crazy SRO crowd (some people I know had decided to stay away), but most seats taken.
    Herbie came on shortly after and put on an amazing show, not only demonstrating his virtuosity (in case we needed a reminder) but also making reference to the G8/G20, the need to listen to the people and the importance of peace.
    Given that those are the themes of his latest album, the timing was right on. Never more perfectly demonstrated than when they did "The times they are a changin' " with "A change is gonna come" back to back.

All the musicians were top notch, the rhythms complex the orchestration orchestral but also swampy-funk and playful at times.

Herbie would occasionally put on a portable keyboard (dunno what you call those things), and play in call response format with either the bass player (who was moving from Pasa torius-like phrasings to Stanley Clarke funk) or the guitarist (Lionel somebody, who started all low key and was quite astounding).

A great show, a great somewhat surreal respite from the vibe of the day.

2. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

went to his roy thompson hall performance back in the 90's. sick player.

3. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

when i knew the fest was going to move ahead, i thought it would be good to come down and hear HH for my first time, and also support the fest by showing up. i can't emphasize enough how surprised i was that it moved forward.

it started off really funky especially with that 80s fusion sound (i was like what?!) and then took on a more standard jazz tone, more chilled out.

for the first part i was standing outside the tent but it wasn't doing much for me plus there was intermittent rain which i wasn't ready for, so i ended up getting a rush ticket or whatever you'd call that about half way in.

erika - that thing is called the keytar. for any nerds out there it's the new one by roland. they're are coming back!

also i liked how there was a woman playing the bass because combined with the guest vocalist, and the opener who i missed (brandi d.), there was nice representation from the ladies last night.

overall i was very happy with the show - this man is such a legend not only for funky jazz but electronic music in general. it was great to hear the chameleon encore too.

after the show was over i rushed over to green velvet to try to get in before midnight, and then at around 2 i headed to the dominion for the "late night jazz jam" but there weren't many people there. it was some funky organist who plays there on thursday evenings. i don't think the festival did a good job at reminding people about the late night jam events and the extended license that goes with them. dominion's a really good bar.

4. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    you should have come with us to see Brandi Disterheft at the proper speakeasy later on that night :)

it was a night of strong female bass players, no doubt about it.

5. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

herbie and band tight
    song selections apropos
    keytar for the win