• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Hep A and B Vaccinations

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
just go to the hassle free clinic already and get your damn free shots people! (instructions at the bottom of the first page)

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Prickly Pete
well you mentioned earlier about it being harder to transfer through a mucous membrane... is that the case with your nose? I know the blood vessels are closer to the surface (hence why you snort) but isn't there a muscous membrane in your nose? or am I wrong here?

sorry, I think either I misspoke or you misunderstood. I said that its not transfered via mucous.... i.e. sharing boogers isn't going to facilitate transfer.

The nasal membrane though is an actual bodypart... covered by a thin layer of mucous which blood is still able to transfer through (just like peruvian power powder).

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rude1_247
sorry, I think either I misspoke or you misunderstood. I said that its not transfered via mucous.... i.e. sharing boogers isn't going to facilitate transfer.

The nasal membrane though is an actual bodypart... covered by a thin layer of mucous which blood is still able to transfer through (just like peruvian power powder).

Well, everything I read says that when the blood has to pass through a mucous membrane it becomes a low risk activity. Either way, your right, why risk it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JESuX

TRIBE Member
okay, i'm exhuming this thread to help get some answers! the wait time for telehealth is an HOUR AND A HALF at this point, so i'm asking the next best credible source. :p

i had my hep a and b shots back in high school (which was about 13 years ago) - does this mean i'm still covered, or should i be looking into getting them again?

i'm going to the dominican in a week. how necessary is it to have this done before you travel to the caribbean? if it turns out i can't or don't get them, is there any way to safely avoid ways that i might pick up something, like not eating ice cubes and shit?

ahhh.

:confused:

i don't want to gamble with my health, but don't really have time to get to my doctor this week, and hear the shots aren't covered (as well as a $55 travel consult) which means i'll be out close to three bills all said and done. ugh.

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
From the wiki.. hope this helps..

[edit] Duration of protection
Although initially it was thought that the hepatitis B vaccine did not provide indefinite protection, this is no longer considered the case. Previous reports had suggested vaccination would provide effective cover of between five and seven years,[15][16] but subsequently it has been appreciated that long-term immunity derives from immunological memory which outlasts the loss of antibody levels and hence subsequent testing and administration of booster doses is not required in successfully vaccinated immunocompetent individuals.[17][18] Hence with the passage of time and longer experience, protection has been shown for at least 25 years in those who showed an adequate initial response to the primary course of vaccinations,[19] and UK guidelines now suggest that for initial responders who require ongoing protection, such as for healthcare workers, only a single booster is advocated at 5 years.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_B_vaccine#Duration_of_protection

The same appears to apply to the Hep A vaccine as well.

Last edited:

dig this

TRIBE Member
thanks for the bump... going to Egypt on Thursday and been a bit concerned if I should get some shots. Can the Hassle Free clinic (found on the 1st page) test me & shoot me up if need be on the same day?

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
dig this: I went to my normal doctor, they gave me a prescription to go pick up the vaccine at the pharmacy, then I brought it back to the office for the nurse to inject.

I imagine it would work the same at a walk-in clinic, but they may not have the facilities to administer shots there. They may refer you to a separate little clinic to have the shot administered (just like some doctors send you to another place to have blood taken).

There are also travel clinics all over the GTA. You can go there, and they'll have all the vaccinations you need in-house, and they'd also have up-to-date information on exactly which ones you need for where you're going. You'll probably need an appointment for them though. (google search: travel clinic toronto)

JESuX

TRIBE Member
also be aware that the shots aren't covered, will cost you $170, plus $55 for the consultation, as travel consults aren't covered by OHIP.

i still have to call telehealth back just to make sure i'm covered, but i'm really going to try avoiding spending the time, hassle and expense if i don't actually need to get more shots.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
I went to my normal doctor, which was free (but she didn't have up-to-date info on what was needed before travelling)... and Greenshield covered a portion of the prescription.

So in terms of the cost of the vaccine, check with your drug plan to see which they cover.

You should also update your Tetanus shot if it's been more than 7 years since your last... that one is covered by drug plans.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I love how people go on and on about how this works... yet they forgo the flu vaccine! Sensible folks, all y'all.

If you were consistent, you'd say,"Oh, it's better to lick someone's ass and get the natural immune system function-like you know totally like better than the money-grubbing company's scheme with vaccines and all that that cause autism."

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
ooh, one more thing. I got Hep B vaccine in grade 7... it was part of a province-wide immunization thing. So I only needed Hep A vaccine (which costs less).

Check your immunization records, if you have them, to make sure you didn't already get some of them.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
I went to my normal doctor, which was free (but she didn't have up-to-date info on what was needed before travelling)... and Greenshield covered a portion of the prescription.

So in terms of the cost of the vaccine, check with your drug plan to see which they cover.

You should also update your Tetanus shot if it's been more than 7 years since your last... that one is covered by drug plans.

heh. i happen to know exactly when my last tetanus shot was, and it was less than 4 years ago. sweet!