1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Help, you will need to be smart to help me with this.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Dirty Girl, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

I have vista.
    I have 2 users on my comp, me and mum.

Messenger will not open under my mothers user, i have it set to pop up when she logs on, but when it tries to run we just get an error message 'Window Live Messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close.'

It works fine when i log onto the computer under my user name, I can log both of us into messenger under either email.

If i run as administrator on hers, then I can get the messenger window to actually show up, but when I try to login it gives me another message, with the option to troubleshoot, which i tried and just tells me im not connected to the internet or something, which obviously I am.

I reinstalled it (cant figure out how to uninstall it) and that didnt work, and tried to check for updates and stuff, but still not working.

I dont really see how it can work on mine, but not on hers. and when she goes into her email it says she is logged onto messenger but I still cant get it to show up going thru that route either, and my brother has sent her offline messages thru messenger, and they pop up when she is in the hotmail screen, but just as this random square in the middle of the screen.

Any help ?
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

if you installed Messenger to only be available to the administrator and not the other users, that could be why.

if you want to uninstall it, go to your start button, then your control panel, and then click on add/remove programs, or it might be called Programs & Features.

once you see the list of all the programs in front of you, you will go through the list and look for whatever version of Messenger you are using, be it WindowsLive Messenger, MSN Messenger etc.

right click on it when you find it, and choose uninstall, or if it has a remove uninstall button to the right of it, then will work to.

once it uninstalled, then restart your computer, once thats done, do to My Computer, then go to Program Files under your C:\ drive, and delete the MSN folder that says either Windows Live, or MSN Messenger, etc.

Once that is done, you can then reinstall from a fresh download, that guarantees that it is not corrupt. Once you have it, and you install it, it will ask if you want to allow all users to access this program on your computer, you want to answer YES to this.

then you should hopefully have no more problems.

3. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

2 users 1 comp
  4. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

I should add. its been working perfectly fine since i got my computer, its only the last week or so that its done this.

i should also add that not a total twit glych, obviously i went to programs to uninstall but its not listed there.

like i said, only a smart person is going to able me with this one. :p
  5. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Nice one
  6. glych t.anomaly

hrrrrmmm ,

did you try going to programs and uninstalling while signed in to your moms user profile?
    or yours?
    i find it highly unlikely that it is installed and running, and not in the installed program list.

and i dont think you are a total twit ;)

i was just being thorough :p

but there are alot of different reasons it could not be working properly, and without having the computer in front of me, im mostly just guessing at the causes.

7. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

i have isolated the problem.

8. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

so what youre really trying to say is "you have no idea" :rolleyes:ch33se:p

yeh DJVZ next computer = no vista, fo shizzle. word! ;) effing thing does nothing but freeze up all the time if i click too many buttons at once.
  9. deepfunkysoul

deepfunkysoul TRIBE Promoter

I would have to say that it is not the program that is having issues. I believe its the user profile thats corrupted. The quickest way to fix it is to create a new user profile and test it out. If it works then your good to go. Simply transfer her documents and pictures, vids and whatever she needs and simply copy them to her new user profile. Once everything is transferred simply delete the old profile that is causing you grief. Profiles can get pooched and often cause programs to crash. As for vista as long as you have enough resources it shouldn't be having any issues. Just in case though makes sure you have the latest service pack installed along with any other updates.

Also if your using windows live messenger it will be listed in the uninstall programs under windows live essentials. I doubt thats the problem though as you are able to run it in your profile. But just in case there is a repair function when you run the uninstall that will fix any issues.

Give this a shot and if you still having problems let me know.
  10. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

lol why wait. You could have Windows 7 on the pc you own right now!
  11. philly

philly TRIBE Member

I agree with deepfunkysoul. Sounds like a profile issue. In most cases if it's working in one user profile but it's working in another profile, the profile is the issue and not the application.
  12. glych t.anomaly

Win 7 is a dream, i am so glad i skipped straight from XP to Win7.

it goes nicely with Snow Leopard on my lappy.

deepfunkysoul, i totally didnt think of user account corruption, due to not having multiple user accounts on any of my computers. i dont even keep a guest account active.

hope it helps her !

13. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

you sound smart, i will trust you and do this. she doesnt even have pics or anything saved in folders cause she doesnt know how to do any of that lol. I think all she has some favourites listed in the mozilla gorilla (as she calls it), so that should be easy enough. :cool:

any of the shortcut icons i have listed will show up on hers and she will have access to them automatically wont she, or will have to set it up? she has some online bridge thing she uses.

oh and while im in here, what about those VAIO computers? are those any good? the characters are always using them on shows like 90210 or degrassi, they make me want one.
  14. deepfunkysoul

All her icons should show up in the new user profile unless she created them manually. Which is very simple to re-create. As for passwords to websites and favorites she will probably need to re-enter them. I don't use mozilla but I'm sure there is a folder with all her favorites under the documents and setting for the program.

In respect to laptops I would go with Toshiba they currently have one of the highest rating in satisfaction and reliability. Vaio is usually over priced so you're paying a premium for the name.
  15. deepfunkysoul

Windows 7 is definitely solid and worth the switch. I have been using it since it was released and have not had a single issue.
  16. Stilez

Stilez TRIBE Member

laff :p
  17. ian

ian TRIBE Member

So now that (hopefully) your problem is solved you also need to take away two things from this discussion:

1. Upgrade to Window 7 for the love of jebus. Vista is a joke. A horrible joke gone terribly wrong. I will kill a kitten for every day you are still on Vista.

2. Do not buy a VAIO, they are overpriced for what you get. Like way overpriced. If you buy a VAIO I will kill a baby seal by strangling it slowly.
  18. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

well it worked. she is sad to lose her freecell scores tho lol.
    thanks alot deepfunkysocks, you are now my new favourite. :D

although I still find it all very strange, would love to know what happened to it. it was easy since she has no stuff in her user, but if that had been my user it would have been a major pain in the ass to switch all my stuff to a new user.

switching to windows7 sounds like a big pain in the ass. not only will have to refigure out where things are and how to use it, but what the hell happens to all my documents, music, videos etc ..... ???
    and doesnt that shit cost like a $150 bucks or summin, dont really feel shelling out dosh for that. I'll just make sure the next comp i get has windows
  19. deepfunkysoul

I'm flattered dirty. :p

Basically something caused the profile to get corrupted. It happens. As for switching to windows 7 it has a utility that does all work for you. You don't have to worry about copying your files over its called Window easy transfer its also included in Vista. It takes the pain in the ass out of migrating. I believe you can get the OEM version of windows 7 premium for much cheaper if you decide to switch. Thats all you will really need. OEM just means you wont have tech support from Microsoft. But if your getting a new lappy then it will come with windows 7 unless your getting it used.

As for getting familiar with it, its no big deal Vista and Windows 7 are very similar. So the learning curve is not a big deal.
  20. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

hmmm I'll think about it. sounds like alot of bother for nothing tho.