• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Help with Stove / Oven / Range Repair

finary

TRIBE Promoter
(I tried searching but didn't come up with much except alot of threads about that club on queen st.)

So my broil element exploded a few weeks ago. I thought no big deal, I'll just go get the proper replacement part, stick it in and chicken fingers here I come...

No such luck.. I replaced the thing, now the oven wont even turn on at all. It wont preheat - the light doesn't come on, nothing. The light inside, outlet on top and the burners still work great.

I don't have the cash to pay some goon to come fix it, just wondering if anyone here has the experience to know what to look for next?

I'm hoping there is some common part that I can just replace - just like I did with the element.

Any ideas? It's a fridgidaire, base model, about 6 years old.
This bad boy:
 
Last edited:

labRat

TRIBE Member
the thermostat may be busted, you may want to try replacing that.

instead of using 'preheat' can you just turn on the broiler or main oven grill?
 

finary

TRIBE Promoter
You only have the option of:

1) turn on the bake oven. this automatically invokes 'preheating' where both elements are lit, to help speed up heating. once a certain temperature is reached, the broil element shuts off, leaving the bake element running and periodically shutting off once the main temperature is reached

2) turn on only the broil element

neither work.. the light doesnt come on at all.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
Sounds more like a short circuit. The fact that it won't heat at all suggests something else was blown. Perhaps the whole unit has a fuse of it's own which now needs to be replaced? Maybe the thermostat is shot? I wouldn't expect a broiler to "explode" unless there was a greater problem.

Unfortunately I'm no handier than you... and couldn't suggest how to trouble shoot it.
 

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
finary said:
(I tried searching but didn't come up with much except alot of threads about that club on queen st.)

So my broil element exploded a few weeks ago. I thought no big deal, I'll just go get the proper replacement part, stick it in and chicken fingers here I come...

No such luck.. I replaced the thing, now the oven wont even turn on at all. It wont preheat - the light doesn't come on, nothing. The light inside, outlet on top and the burners still work great.

I don't have the cash to pay some goon to come fix it, just wondering if anyone here has the experience to know what to look for next?

I'm hoping there is some common part that I can just replace - just like I did with the element.

Any ideas? It's a fridgidaire, base model, about 6 years old.
This bad boy:
could it be a fuse? once i had a stove that would NOT work but it was just a blown fuse. I know you had another problem that you've fixed, but that problem could also have caused a fuse to blow maybe. anyway, they're easy to replace, so you can try it yourself & find out ... that's a bonus, right?
 

finary

TRIBE Promoter
Jer: BBQ'd me a nice AAA Top Sirloin last night actually! mmm mmm goodness

I know at my parent's place we had an older oven, and it had fuses you put in the top and I had to replace one of them once, but I can't see any fuses on thsi oven. They must be tucked away inside the back panel or something... I didnt even see any when I took the back panel off to disconnect/reconnect the element.

hmm...
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Fuse Testing:


If the oven light, stovetop fluorescent light, clock or range outlet does not function correctly, often the problem can be a blown fuse or a tripped circuit breaker. Many electric ranges include a fuse in the 120-volt circuit that operates such items as oven and stovetop lights, the electric clock, convenience outlets, etc. In order to check the fuses on your electric range, the following steps should be taken:

Before repairs or testing can begin you must disconnect the electricity at the fuse panel, at the circuit breaker panel, or by pulling the plug. Make sure the power is off before proceeding. A jolt from 220 volts can be fatal, use caution!


Refer to the owner's manual or to the wiring diagram for your electric range to locate the fuse you need to examine. The type of fuse used in electric ranges is usually the plug-type. This type has a threaded metal base (similar to a light bulb's base) and a flat top marked with an amperage rating. The fusible link is visible through a glass window in the top.


Visually inspect the fuse to see if it has blown. The fusible link is visible through a glass window in the top. If the fuse is good, this link will be intact. If the fuse has blown due to an overload, this link will be visibly broken. If the link is broken and the glass window is also blackened, this indicates a short circuit. In either case, the problem that caused the blown fuse MUST be identified and corrected before installing a new fuse of the correct amperage rating.
REMEMBER YOU ARE WORKING WITH 220 VOLTS - USE EXTREME CAUTION!!!
March 14, 2006
 

finary

TRIBE Promoter
^ yeah that sounds like instructions for the older ovens.. i didnt see anything as as simple in this one
 

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
finary said:
^ yeah that sounds like instructions for the older ovens.. i didnt see anything as as simple in this one

darn.
sorry -- the stove that i used to have was very old and like you said, there was a panel in the front under which the fuses were housed so it was easy.

what's your model #? perhaps can find info online as to where the fuses are? if it has fuses like the ones i'm talking about?

or maybe troubleshooting info online?
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
works for me.
pm me with your email and i'll send to you.

however, i have looked at them and haven't been able to figure / find out where any fuses are located. doesn't mean the info isn't there, i only took a quick look.
 

finary

TRIBE Promoter
the 'wiring diagram' or whatever, was actually tucked into the back panel of the stove, but i couldn't understand it.

im sure someone with electrical engineering or whatever would know right away :p
 

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
finary said:
the 'wiring diagram' or whatever, was actually tucked into the back panel of the stove, but i couldn't understand it.

im sure someone with electrical engineering or whatever would know right away :p

lol, that wiring diagram is gobbledegook to me too! :)

manuals sent to your email addy.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top