• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Help: trying to solve the clementine mystery

beaker

TRIBE Member
Okay, so why is it that some clementines have seeds and some don't? And doesn't it drive you crazy?

ChROmE

TRIBE Member
I almost started a post about this last night. Also nothing like a good smoke and then knocking off a few clementines for a healthy treat.

I also have to attempt to peel the damn thing in one peel!

Three cheers for Clementines!

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Having lived in Morocco, I can probably answer this one... Over there our Tangerines/Clementines/whatever were pretty much always sold while they were still rather green. Which makes me guess that the ones that are here were picked while they were still green, and ripened on the way here. Hence the lack of seeds.

I've noticed that the later into the season we are, the more seeds there are... which means that the fruits are being picked when they're already ripe, and therefore, have had the time to develop seeds.

At least that's my theory.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

noodle

TRIBE Member
This question has been perplexing me lately too.

I've come to the conclusion that for every one with seeds one doesn't have seeds.

but

BOOOO to seeds!!!!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by beaker
Okay, so why is it that some clementines have seeds and some don't? And doesn't it drive you crazy?
I think the ones without seeds are the ones modified by the producers. Same with grapes.

I am almost positive they can breed (is that the word?) seedless fruits with injections and stuff like that.

beaker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by noodle
I've come to the conclusion that for every one with seeds one doesn't have seeds.
yes! i was thinking it was maybe a male/female thing. but then i figured fruits are probably sexless.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChROmE
I almost started a post about this last night. Also nothing like a good smoke and then knocking off a few clementines for a healthy treat.

I also have to attempt to peel the damn thing in one peel!

Three cheers for Clementines!
and to think, we actually thought there was nothing to do in brampton.

beaker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Silvershadow
Having lived in Morocco, I can probably answer this one... Over there our Tangerines/Clementines/whatever were pretty much always sold while they were still rather green. Which makes me guess that the ones that are here were picked while they were still green, and ripened on the way here. Hence the lack of seeds.

I've noticed that the later into the season we are, the more seeds there are... which means that the fruits are being picked when they're already ripe, and therefore, have had the time to develop seeds.

At least that's my theory.
so seeds come during or post-ripening?

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
if there were no seeds, how did the clementine happen in the first place ?

clementines aren't immaculate

MoFo

TRIBE Member
IT'S GENETIC MODIFICATION, PEOPLE! DOWN with the corporations!

Anyway, they make clementines called "Easy Peelers" too so that you don't have to strain.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by beaker
so seeds come during or post-ripening?
I think if the fruit was picked early enough (i.e. when it's still green), it won't have had time to develop seeds yet... and it won't develop seeds once it's picked off the tree, seeing as it's, in theory, "dead". If it was left on the tree longer, and it was actually orange when it was picked, then it had time to develop seeds.

I've never eaten a green clementine that had seeds, and I've also noticed that the further into the season we are, the more seeds start popping up in clementines.

I've noticed that the ones that are less round and are flatter on top, and the ones that have thinner skin are less likely to have seeds than the round ones with thicker skin. (yes, I've eaten a lot of these, thanks for asking) It does still happen once in a while that they will have seeds, but generally speaking, I find that's the rule.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
The origin of clementines is shrouded in mystery. Some attribute their discovery to father Clement, a monk in Algeria, who tending his mandarin garden in the orphanage of Misserghim, found a natural mutation. He nurtured the fruit tree and subsequently called it "clementino". Others, like Japanese botanist Tanaka, believe that clementines must have originated in Asia and found their way through human migration to the Mediterranean. Whatever their origin, the fact is that clementines found their natural climate and soil in Spain, where they developed their particular aroma, sweetness and taste. Commercial production of clementines began in Spain in 1925. Today there are 161,000 acres dedicated to the cultivation of clementines.

Clementines were first brought to the United States in 1982. Knowledgeable industry people soon recognized them as a fruit with great market potential. Nevertheless, it took 10 years of persistence, imagination and plan hard work to make this latecomer of the citrus family the undisputed citrus choice of children and adults alike.

http://www.producepete.com/shows/clementines.html

beaker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Silvershadow
I think if the fruit was picked early enough (i.e. when it's still green), it won't have had time to develop seeds yet... and it won't develop seeds once it's picked off the tree, seeing as it's, in theory, "dead". If it was left on the tree longer, and it was actually orange when it was picked, then it had time to develop seeds.
sweet, i can buy that.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Clementines are just a fluke of nature.

Some contain seeds cause otherwise the plants could not spread.

It's just unlikely that the clementine has seeds that's all

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Shit, I have to go to work now..

I found some articles by the companies who import and modify citrus fruits but through Acrobat Reader, the articles are REALLY long. I have to find section 6 which talks about how they produce seedless citrus fruits but I am not going to just copy and paste.

So later.

DOWN WITH THE MILITARY!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories