1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

HELP: They're forcing me to buy Rogers

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by saskboy, Apr 25, 2010.

1. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

I hate them they're evil. I cancelled my internet with them. They are so messed up.

I live in a co-op with 55 units. A bunch of people on the board decided to put forward a proposal that every unit would get Rogers Cable.

No opting out. They don't mention this important fact in the info package. So the meeting is somewhat stacked in their favour.

Sure it's a good deal $32/mo. (rougly half price) but so what?

People are being forced into it. One woman says that she's just making it and taking away her choice means that she will have to cut back elsewhere. Two of them left the meeting in tears.

Some of the people want it because this contract will save them alot of dough. However, it's at the expense of others financial well-being. It's a robbing Peter to pay Paul sort of thing.

It's a five year deal so that works out to just under $2000 that I'm out of pocket. I don't watch televisison so it's money down the drain for me. The same for these women.

The board of directors only mentioned it as 32 bones a month. They only listed the positives in their information circular before the meeting a vote. I feel somewhat railroaded.

Now there are some people in my building who are being subsidized with their rent. The board decided that this charge would be covered by CMHC subsidy money. To my view this money is meant to help people with basic housing needs. Not to provide them with free TV. They didn't mention this before the meeting.

So we had the vote. It's tied 10-10. Motion is defeated. The chair and others want it because they will personally benefit. Some people abstained. They forced a revote and it passes by one vote.

11 out of 55 units.

The philsopher Heinz von Forster stated that the guide to ethical action should be: always act so as to incease the number of choices. Clearly this is not being done in this case. A small group of people is putting their self interest before the well being of others. I recognize that fact that majorities have to decide things, but this isn't a case of deciding on money has to be spent. Saving yourself money while that same time taking it from others doesn't sit well with me.

I'm going to write a letter to the board asking them to reserve the decision. I have few tricks up my sleeve with regards to proper procedure not being followed with regards to the meeting.

So I was throwing this out there to tribe (and it's extent knowledge base): are there any other legal arguments that can be made?

Can I legally be forced into this deal?

Is there any right/principle that I can appeal to?

AshG? or does he only do traffic tickets?

(I don't have internet at home so I will only be able to check in intermittently)
  2. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

welcome to condo living.
  3. erika

erika TRIBE Member

1. You say this is a CO-OP. Cooperating does mean sometimes going with the less palatable choice for the greater good.

2. At one point way back I was eligible for a bit of daycare subsidy; when totalling your expenses, cable was considered a "basic" which shocked me, but there you have it.

3. I think getting a group deal is a reasonable approach; there should, however be the option to opt out completely (not by using an alternate carrier) providing the number of those opting out is not so high that the deal no longer stands for the others. They should be able to structure their deal with Rogers as a "at least xx users any given period".

4. It's very frustrating to type in English on a french keyboard :p
  4. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

You live in a CO-OP and you want some sympathy? :rolleyes:
  5. skin deep

skin deep TRIBE Member

6. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

sounds like this thread should be retitled. Not Rogers' fault in this case. Could just as easily have been another service provider.

Given that there are 44 out of 55 units who either didn't vote (shame on them!) or were against the proposal, why not organize all of them (or as many as you can get) and split from the condo and form your own board? Could be good for some laughs.
  7. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

bottom line. you should be able to say 'no thank you' and not have to fork out the dough for cable you don't use. but don't expect for them to approve another carrier should you change your mind.
  8. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

pay them in pennies.

(your rent, not the cable bill)
  9. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

wouldnt you still have to call rogers, and set up an account with them, and provide them with all your personal information etc .....
    I dont see how someone can MAKE you do that.
  10. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

No. Once the Co-op passes a motion to sign the contract with rogers, the monthly fee is worked into your housing charge (rent). Pretty sure there is no opting out. You are still responsible for making the call to Rogers to set up your service but you only get a bill from Rogers for whatever services you pay for over and above what is included in your housing charge (rent).

Likely your only option would be to organize members against the motion. It might be too late however as if it has passed your board would likely move quickly to sign the contract. Unless the meeting didn't have quorum you are probably out of luck.

And yes the subsidy would cover the fee because it is a "rent geared to income" subsidy where you only pay a percentage of your actual income for your housing charge. The rogers fee would be included in that housing charge amount so the service would be covered but as the housing charge amount you pay on subsidy is only dependant on your income you would not pay any more.

But really, I would think that the majority of any building watches TV and orders cable so probably more people benefit from this than don't.
  11. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

all good points

I understand the common good aspect of it

The bill will be worked into our rent

yes Wiseman, I should have worked the quorum aspect of it

I know the majority will benefit, but it's at the expense of others who can't afford it

Yes the opting wasn't even considered. If ten people opted out that would be $39 instead of $32. Still a good deal.

The guys who want it are just ramming this through. Bugs me

I don't want another carrier. I don't want one at all.

I got to find me a Lionel Hutz
  12. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

found a loophole

I wish I was a lawyer
  13. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

What is the loophole?
  14. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Moving out?
  15. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

think of all the money you'll save by being able to just stay in on fri & sat nights and watch tv. ;)
  16. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

17. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

you're already getting free cable thanx to royce...now the bastards want you to pay
    that just aint right
  18. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

you know if you're worried about getting really angry and possibly losing it on these people you may want to step back and take stock of the situation...

...just sayin.
  19. Thrill_House

Thrill_House TRIBE Promoter

I dont understand people who dont watch television, you think your better then the rest of us or something? ;)
  20. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

oh, I know, there's a huge opportunity cost, that's why I was looking for a quick trick

better than the rest of you,... it was the mid nineties, 2:30 am, watching reruns of Mr Belvedere screaming at the screen, "This show sucks,..."

just don't want to go back there