• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

help! spilled liquid on laptop keyboard, where can i get it fixed?

vinder

TRIBE Member
genius i am, i spilled a drink on my gf's laptop keyboard. everything seems to work fine, but the "/" key presses itself relentlessly.

where can i get this fixed? any estimates on how much it will cost?

urbanriot

TRIBE Member
vinder said:
genius i am, i spilled a drink on my gf's laptop keyboard. everything seems to work fine, but the "/" key presses itself relentlessly.

where can i get this fixed? any estimates on how much it will cost?
You could probably fix it yourself, what laptop is it? Usually those keyboards can be popped out after removing a little bit of the chassis... once you have it removed, it might be easier to clean.

zoo

TRIBE Member
I did the same thing with my girlfriend's laptop years ago (1/2 Bohemian beer, and 1 Barq's Root Beer, on separate occasions). I removed the keyboard, dried the internal components as best I could (with the computer left off), and later cleaned the keyboard. I took off every key, washed each with water, wiped down the circuit board, split apart the board and wiped inside where the button tracks are, and later once everything was dry i refitted all the pieces together. It took awhile.

A year later I bought a new notebook keyboard (OEM parts) for $20 from ASUS' website, probably what I should've done in the first place.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Turn it off let it dry out and it will most likely resolve it's self... When any liquid enters electronics immediately unplug it remove as much liquid and let the item dry out and it should be ok... The liquid will usually cause a short circuit which is bad...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories