• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Help Porter's Expansion Plans

Rage

TRIBE Member
Pretty self-explanatory. Hopefully most of you on this board see the need/value for the downtown island airport to be able to fly more people to more destinations from the core. If so, here's your opportunity to lend your voice.

https://www.porterplans.com/

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
No. The airport and the surrounding area is at maximum capacity

Porter is doing just fine as it is.

Maybe they should instead look at why their flights only have a 65% load rate compared to 95% for AC and West Jet.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
No. The airport and the surrounding area is at maximum capacity

Porter is doing just fine as it is.

Maybe they should instead look at why their flights only have a 65% load rate compared to 95% for AC and West Jet.
how can the airport simultaneously be at maximum capacity, have a 65% load rate, and be "doing just fine as it is?"

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
how can the airport simultaneously be at maximum capacity, have a 65% load rate, and be "doing just fine as it is?"
The load rate has to do with how much of the seats in planes are taken up with actual people. At 65% of the current schedule, there are too many people coming in and out of the airport for the existing and planned infrastructure to accommodate. If Porter were to be more successful and increase their load rate it would get worse.

Porter should be able to run on a lower load rate as their costs are lower flying out of BBTCA. That being said Air Canada and Westjet are aware of this fact to and if Jets are allowed at BBTCA then they will do everything they can to get their fair share of that business.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I dropped someone off at Porter around 6pm on Sunday
it was busy but I was in and out in 5 minutes

Yes congestion is an issue but it's not as bad as some are implying

Rage

TRIBE Member
I dropped someone off at Porter around 6pm on Sunday
it was busy but I was in and out in 5 minutes

Yes congestion is an issue but it's not as bad as some are implying
Is congestion in & out of BB Airport an issue, sure. Is the airport (and planed expansion) the cause/reason - no.

erika

TRIBE Member
I'm completely against. The noise from the jets will be insane, regardless of Porter's reframing them as "whisper" jets.

The prop planes are bad enough.

Emailed my councillor asking her to support City staff's recommendations.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I'm completely against. The noise from the jets will be insane, regardless of Porter's reframing them as "whisper" jets.

how close do you live to the airport?

silver1

TRIBE Member

I've said this in every Island Airport thread when people bring up the issue of noise.

I lived right on Queens Quay for 5 years and the noise from any plane that flew in and out of the airport was MINISCULE compared to the 24/7 constant din of the Gardiner.

Rage

TRIBE Member

There is more noise/pollution etc from all the construction/condos and the ever present Gardiner in this city that Councillors just like the one you emailed - have supported.

These new jets that you speak of are groundbreaking technology in regards to lack of noise & pollution & are Canadian made = jobs jobs jobs.

Porter will not be operating any flights after 11pm and before 8am. What time do these construction workers start? And lets not forget when these very same Councillors issue 24/7 building permits for a "fee" to the builder once they fall behind and have to work around the clock to finish their structure.

Last edited:

Vise

TRIBE Member
I'm fairly close to the water in Leslieville (basically at Eastern/Logan) and I see Porter flights taking off/landing every day. I don't hear them at all and from what I've read their new jets will make roughly the same amount of noise or less.

The noise issue is total bull IMO.

erika

TRIBE Member
I know you guys are all in favour. I don't like them. I don't like any of the planes taking off from there, find them obnoxious, whether I'm on the ferry, wandering around, or spending the night.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

videotronic

TRIBE Member

why do you think this?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
its funny, it would appear those who are against the expansion here at Tribe have never flown Porter (at least the posts would suggest this) and those who are for expansion have flown Porter either once or on multiple occasions.

I had a discussion with my neighbor about the noise and as he was complaining a big 18 wheeler came tumbling down the Danforth and I couldn't hear him anymore. After that I asked if he was going to ask that 18 wheelers doing delivers don't use Danforth anymore. Before he could respond, police cars an ambulance and Fire Truck came running down Danforth, again you couldn't hear the other person speak. Finally when the GO Train came rumbling through and made quite a bit of noise I asked him again. Why he is hanging his hat on the noise issue, when we just have 3 clear examples of noise pollution that were all louder than a Jet or Prop Plane from where we live.

Rage

TRIBE Member
its funny, it would appear those who are against the expansion here at tribe have never flown porter (at least the posts would suggest this) and those who are for expansion have flown porter either once or on multiple occasions.
this

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
I'm fairly close to the water in Leslieville (basically at Eastern/Logan) and I see Porter flights taking off/landing every day. I don't hear them at all and from what I've read their new jets will make roughly the same amount of noise or less.

The noise issue is total bull IMO.
LOL @ judging the noise from Eastern and Logan, 6.3km from the airport

I live at Stadium and Queens Quay, 500 meters from the airport and you hear those planes plenty of times. Especially at night when they test/cycle the prop engines and do the "run-up" with the engines. The noise issue is completely valid and you wouldn't understand that living 6.5km away.

Also I've heard that noise countless times even after 11pm. Even if flights are not technically taking off or landing after 11, doesn't mean the planes are completely shut off and aren't having maintenance/repairs.

http://www.noisequest.psu.edu/SourcesAviation.Overview.html

Last edited:

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
its funny, it would appear those who are against the expansion here at Tribe have never flown Porter (at least the posts would suggest this) and those who are for expansion have flown Porter either once or on multiple occasions.

I had a discussion with my neighbor about the noise and as he was complaining a big 18 wheeler came tumbling down the Danforth and I couldn't hear him anymore. After that I asked if he was going to ask that 18 wheelers doing delivers don't use Danforth anymore. Before he could respond, police cars an ambulance and Fire Truck came running down Danforth, again you couldn't hear the other person speak. Finally when the GO Train came rumbling through and made quite a bit of noise I asked him again. Why he is hanging his hat on the noise issue, when we just have 3 clear examples of noise pollution that were all louder than a Jet or Prop Plane from where we live.

im all for banning 18 wheelers and large delivery trucks from being in toronto and the 400 series highways within the GTA from 6am - 7pm daily .

they are a menace.

MUCH worse than planes at BB

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
You do realize that noise from traffic and ambulances on downtown streets are completely unavoidable, they are expected, there is no suitable alternative route in most cases for those vehicles.

But trying to perform a major expansion to turn a small airport to a large airport is completely avoidable and unexpected, and there is an alternative location for an airline to expand their operations - it's called Pearson Airport.

One thing is necessary, the other is not.