• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

help pls. vets/animal workers/cat people

videotronic

TRIBE Member
help me tribe, you're my only hope..

im in the middle of trying to sell my place. in order to get it staged and pretty we had a painter come in. we have two cats, one of whom sheds QUITE heavily so we tried to move them to a friends house for the weekend so the painter could do his thing...i had a brutal time last thursday night trying to get them over to my friends place. as soon as the one of them (the fat one) went into his carrier the other one (the dumb one) started freaking out and hissing at him. after some fighting i managed to get them both secured into their carriers and tried to get them to the elevator. they both were super aggro and were scratching at me through the carriers, the dumb one pissed all over his carrier, himself, the other one and me.

i took them both back in the house (don't want to pay to clean up a piss covered cab, don't want to pay to replace friends furniture if the little bastards ruin it) and let them out of the carriers and they both bolted for opposite parts of the house and hid. the next day my GF took the dumb one (who is a little more sociable) over to our friends place and just locked the fat one in the bathroom while the painter did his business.

the problem is that they HATE each other now. anytime the dumb one (younger, smaller) gets near the fat one the fat one hisses and freaks out. we have been woken up a few times in the middle of the night by them hissing and fighting like racoons. the fat one has been shedding like crazy and is acting really strange. he wouldn't eat for a few days (until we put down his own bowl of food and water last night) and he wouldn't use the litter either. that last situation resulted in him pissing himself on a couch last night, tracking piss all over the apartment after and then shitting on the floor in a corner.

the fat one is now in the bathroom with his own litter, food and water and he is NOT super happy about it, but i don't know what else to do. i cant let him run wild around the house pissing and shitting himself like motley crue after the MTV awards, but i feel like the longer i leave him in the bathroom the worse he's going to be when he gets out. he has sort of cleaned himself up a bit from being covered in piss last night, but not really (which disturbs me) and he has also been hissing a ton even at me, which he has literally done only once in the 8 years i've owned him. now if the dumb one sees the fat one through the bathroom door (necessary so the humans can use their version of the litter once in a while) he freaks out and hisses, which then sets the fat one off even more.

so...questions...what do i do? how long does this last? im literally at a loss and cannot afford (time wise) for them to wait this out and get over it on their own nor would i be pumped to replace all the furniture in my place right before selling it because there is cat piss all over everywhere...

helpppppp

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ok watch some episodes of "My Cat From Hell"

There are plenty of eps with 2 cats fighting.

Usual prescriptions include:

- have them feed at the same time, if they fight so much they can't be close even then, set up a barrier and put their food on either side, so they smell each other while they eat (but cant see)
- playtime! If there are two of you try getting their fave toys out, maybe start on opposite sides of the room, start playing

The point of both these activities is to have them start associating good things, like play or food, with proximity to the other cat. Their puny minds are so small this trick will eventually have them forget their enmity if you keep it up!

Finally do look at the living space. Is the dominant cat able to corner the weaker one? Ensure there are points of egress all around so that the weaker one can find an escape - find alternate routes for chokepoints so they have more than one option to get from place to place (where possible)

praktik

TRIBE Member
I should note we have two cats. They have never really ever got along. We got the younger one when the older one had been around a while, and she never liked the usurper.

Some years later they are not affectionate in the least, but they rarely ever fight.... can sleep 1 foot apart no problem.

Little flare ups now and then, but super minor, mostly when one is being a dick and sitting in front of the cat-door on our screen door, preventing the other from going out. Not much we can do there to give them another path, so thats a chokepoint we have to live with.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
the problem kind of is that there is shit everywhere around the place right now, which im sure isnt helping matters much. like 1/3 of the shit we own is going into storage while the place is being shown.

i tried the feeding/playing/cuddling the other night. i was having some QT with the fat one when the dumb one came to say hi. as soon as he came near the fat one tensed up, started growling, hissing and i had to kind of put him aside lest i end up looking like mason verger after a session with dr lecter.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
I should note we have two cats. They have never really ever got along. We got the younger one when the older one had been around a while, and she never liked the usurper.

Some years later they are not affectionate in the least, but they rarely ever fight.... can sleep 1 foot apart no problem.

Little flare ups now and then, but super minor, mostly when one is being a dick and sitting in front of the cat-door on our screen door, preventing the other from going out. Not much we can do there to give them another path, so thats a chokepoint we have to live with.
this is whats killing me about this.. these guys were best friends. dummy is 5 years younger than fatty, but they got along famously. like would wrestle and play constantly, clean each other all the time and shit. if you saw them a week ago you would assume they grew up around each other their whole lives.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
Look - all these people found resolution, and so did I in similar scenarios. You can get there if you put the effort in.

It might take a little while. They have tiny minds. But the only reason this won't work out is because you don't have the patience or time to see it through - and that may be totally understandable given your life circumstances! - don't want to sound a scold, trying to make you optimistic actually!

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
FWIW, I wouldn't be concerned unless this continues past a week or two. Last summer one of my kitties got lost for a week. When she returned her and her brother (who had always gotten along perfectly) *hated* each other. Seemingly constant hissing, fighting, growling, etc. It started to taper after a week, then after another week everything was back to normal.

Kitties are not big fans of change, and on top of all of the moving around, their home probably also now smells different to them because of the paint.

I would say try to keep their living environment as calm and stress free as possible, and just wait for it to pass.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya their territorial instincts have been aroused, you need to do what you can to make them feel confident an comfortable so that they can turn off that instinct.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
I would say try to keep their living environment as calm and stress free as possible, and just wait for it to pass.
so given that both cats, my GF and i basically need to move out of my place on sunday while its shown and sold what do you think would be the best thing to do?

we had originally planned to take them with us to her parents place, but i dont know if that is a good plan or if we should board them somewhere and then deal with the fallout after. her folks hate cats and i would literally never hear the end of it if they did anything to fuck up her parents house/furniture etc. im stressing about moving them there and the "counter" resetting on their crankiness and having it go another week.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya i would be a little loathe to move them again too man!

Is there a way you can cordon them off somewhere during the showing? Is there a part of the basement you can keep them in with food+water, leave instructions for the showing?

I guess issue is they kind of want to show every nook and cranny don't they? Is there any way at all you can have the cats at the house on Sunday??

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

praktik

TRIBE Member
What about an enclosure in the backyard, chicken wire or something, food water, let them have a day in the backyard??

sk8

TRIBE Member
How long will you be away from the apartment? A few days? A few weeks? Do you go back to your own place after or into a new place?

videotronic

TRIBE Member
they've also never been outside as they grew up in a condo on the 7th floor. i thought about maybe making some kind of like box/house/whatever in parents backyard but i feel like its mean and they would both freak out if they got rained on/saw another animal. plus at this point we cant even really put them in the same box anyway.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
How long will you be away from the apartment? A few days? A few weeks? Do you go back to your own place after or into a new place?
depends on how long it takes to sell. hopefully no more than a few weeks. we are pricing fairly aggressively in the hopes of a fast sale. we will be moving back into the current place after for 60-90 whatever days to close/find a new place etc.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Hmmm... if it was going to be only a few days I was going to say boarding might be your best option. But a few weeks may be difficult both for them and your pocketbook.

Is there a location at her parents place you can safely keep them in? Like a basement area that they could be in where any damage could be contained?

Ours did a similar thing after our cat died (went from 3 to 2). We basically just let them hash it out until they had sorted it. There was some fur lost and some epic battles but they are back to being buddies.

praktik

TRIBE Member
well moving them as little as possible should be the goal I guess!

So maybe its not your parents place, but like, one place they can be for the duration will minimize the trauma

videotronic

TRIBE Member
thats what i was thinking. boarding is outrageous though. the place near my place (thought it would be good so i could go say hi) is fucking $32/cat/day. like...thats unreasonable. ive had nights in vegas where i paid less for a hotel than that...

praktik

TRIBE Member
THe thing is, like, if they are in a weird place right now - if you have extra scratch, being boarded in the right place means they'll be with cat people.

I think the experience at a place where they're unwelcome could mean bit deeper rut they get into...

So maybe you can get cat lover friends to step up - otherwise maybe try calling one of those adopt-a-cat places that place cats with people... they might have ideas about what you could do even if what they do isn't exactly what you need (since you are not, really, giving them up)

videotronic

TRIBE Member
i think we found a boarding place in oakville that is reasonably priced. giving that some serious thougt now and if they have room the little fleabags might end up there.

in other news: who knows a good remedy to get cat piss out of a couch? lol

FML

thank you folks for the ideas and opinions.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya maybe ranging wider is what you need - must be more reasonable prices in satellites like the shwa and guelph

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I think boarding them for the the weekend is a good idea, but I think you may need to extend it fo rat least a week though (two weekends). We sold our condo fast (and it sold for a record high in the building) in about a week, but it took one weekend of open houses, but then a week of showings (like second and third visits) and we signed the papers the next weekend.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
Cleaned himself up? The fuck is wrong with you? The last time I checked cats don't have hands and the ability to take a shower and clean themselves. So lemme get this straight, you thought the cat was going to lick his piss off himself and locked him in the bathroom, didn't clean him off and are mad at him for still being covered in piss? My mind is blown. I know someone who started off like you, what was his name....oh yeah Jeffrey Dahmer.
yeah thats it, fucktard. im full on dahmer material. why dont you tell me how it is in the somali underworld? how do your gangster buddies clean a cat? go watch new jack city and try to channel what nino brown would do.

now go home and get your fucking shine box

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders