• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Help Please!!

Woody

TRIBE Member
My girlfriend's laptop is doing something funny....

When ever she trys to browse the internet using Firefox or IE she get's the following error message.

Error: Host not accessible

Possible sources of this error:
  • The host name is invalid
  • There was a DNS error
  • The website is unavailable
  • You may not be connected to the internet

Her email still works fine as does the weathernetwork weather eye, so it seems to be a problem with the browsers. I have tried to ping a couple of sites and that seems to work as well.

I am at a loss to figure out what is going on, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

She uses rogers and I have released and renewed the IP address a couple of times as well as reset the modem. Oh and she is using XP home addition if that helps...

Thanks for any help in advance...

Woody

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
I'd guess DNS problem.

Did you ping using an IP address? If so then there was no need to hit the DNS.

Try pinging an address (like www.google.ca). Does it resolve to an IP and work? If so the DNS is fine.

If the DNS is ok then I'd say a driver is failing somewhere. The connection is available to lower level apps and IP calls, but not to the higher level software apps. I'd tear down the internet connection and set it up again if this is the case.

cds

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Woody

TRIBE Member
Sinister Shadow said:
Ok, and in a browser if you try to hit www.yahoo.ca and www.fark.com what happens? Does it work? What about www.cnn.com?

Perhaps the DNS is just on the fritz. Serving up some addresses but not all of them.
in either of the browsers it pops up with the error message that I posted in the first topic...

Error: Host not accessible

Possible sources of this error:

* The host name is invalid
* There was a DNS error
* The website is unavailable
* You may not be connected to the internet

seeker

TRIBE Member
have you run a spyware scan? see this an awful lot -- spyware installs an invisible proxy on your machine, proxy fails -> no browsing.

Woody

TRIBE Member
seeker said:
have you run a spyware scan? see this an awful lot -- spyware installs an invisible proxy on your machine, proxy fails -> no browsing.
Umm, there is one installed (the microsoft anti spywear thingy) but I don't think that it ran a scan prior to this happening. If it did do that, how does one go about checking and then removing said proxy?

seeker

TRIBE Member
the spyware tool should offer to remove it. i've never used the microsoft one personally, but i've heard positive reports about it. you could also try adaware se personal and spybot search & destroy. both are freely available on www.download.com