1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Help Needed Very Urgent

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Blue Meanies, Oct 7, 2005.

  1. Blue Meanies

    Blue Meanies TRIBE Member

    when you come into candian customs does your passport (showing the attached workpermit for the foreign country) get updated or entered into any sort of system that the canadia revenue agency would have access too?? thanks
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  2. Agent Smith

    Agent Smith TRIBE Member

    First rule: don't ever post anything that has potential legal implications.
  3. lucky1

    lucky1 TRIBE Member

    The foreign country doesn't "notify Canada" but the next time you file taxes they will look at the discrepatancies, ie you made 25K one year, then the next year you were out of the country and claimed no income, then when you return you claim 30K. So if they want they may choose to investigate you.
  4. Blue Meanies

    Blue Meanies TRIBE Member

    but does the canadian revenue agency know when you do or don't travel overseas? :confused:
  5. The Kid

    The Kid TRIBE Member

    yeah 'cause canada customs regularly peruses tribe and they know exactly who "blue meanies" is.

    you're fucked now blue meanies!
  6. grounded4life

    grounded4life TRIBE Member

    No the CCRA doesn't know when you're entering or leaving the country.
  7. MOD ONE

    MOD ONE TRIBE Member

    Get out of Canada!!!

    They know you're here... dam you Tribe!
  8. kyfe

    kyfe TRIBE Member

    are you collecting EI by any chance? if so they will find out my friend left to see the World cup a few years back and the next year they penalized him as you cannot leave the country while collecting EI.

    given that I'm sure they will know.
  9. grounded4life

    grounded4life TRIBE Member

    They can't stop you from leaving the country. They might penalize after the fact.
  10. Blue Meanies

    Blue Meanies TRIBE Member

    no I'm not collecting EI, and I have allready left the country. The question is ... will the canadian revenue agency know I worked legally (with a work permit) overseas if I don't tell them? Basicaly will the canadian revenue ask why I didn't claim foreign funds or would they only know about me working overseas if I tell them??:confused:
  11. Skipper

    Skipper TRIBE Member

    I would think that if you legally obtained a work permit from another country, the CCRA would find out.

    That information is something that strikes me as likely being communicated between two countries.
  12. Pyrovitae

    Pyrovitae TRIBE Member

    as far as i know you're not penalised. you pay taxes in the country you lived and worked in for the duration of your stay.

    i live and work in the uk and my accountant did my canadian taxes last year, as i moved in june 2005. my income here was not claimed, it was only rent, income and expenditures from when i lived in canada.
  13. TheRunningBoard

    TheRunningBoard TRIBE Member

    What kind of work permit did you get? I have had a few TN's and Revenue Canada does not know I had them. They are issued by the US government, and really has nothing to do with Canada - except that I can get it because I am a Canadian Citizen.

    I think that you are OK unless you made a shit load of cash - they may wonder where the money came from.
  14. Blue Meanies

    Blue Meanies TRIBE Member

    well its an "alien resident certificate" ARC, and basically means I am a temporary citizen of a foreign country. After speaking to a revenue office in canada they state that I have to claim it on my tax return... but do I?? would anyone really know??
  15. TheRunningBoard

    TheRunningBoard TRIBE Member

    oh, yeah I would think you "have to claim it" - but I would think that is like a painter doing side jobs on the weekend..they have to claim that income too, but surely, they don't.

    You should be ok..but I am totally talking out of my ass , and from your descirption, and the info you have received this is what "I think"
  16. shortbus

    shortbus TRIBE Member

    yeah you have to claim it, what i dont get is why all the panic over it?!

Share This Page