• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Help Needed-Installing a new PCI Card

~decepticon~

TRIBE Promoter
Just got a new firewire pci card for my Desktop.

Since my computer only has 2 pci slots I removed the Ethernet card and plugged in the firewire card. I understand that when you remove a card and put a new one in, windows still looks for the Ethernet card. I was told that I need to uninstall the Ethernet card in order for the firewire card to work however I don't know how to do it. Can someone help me please

respekt.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
you uninstall the ethernet card by unplugging it and removing any software it might use. You have to install the drivers for the firewire card for it to work.

~decepticon~

TRIBE Promoter
so I unplugged it and uninstalled the drivers but when I restart the computer, it automatically reinstalls the ethernet drivers. I'm on a dell - would they have something set up that'd be weirdo doing this to me?

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
1. Does this computer still connect to the internet? (ie. do you have multiple ethernet connections, perhaps one on the mobo and one on a pci card).

2. Firewire appears under windows as IEEE1349 adapter and is found in the Network settings. Make sure you aren't being confused by that.