• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Help Mixing Down Reason Tracks in Nuendo

halo five

TRIBE Member
Hi all,

I'm trying to record the audio being played back by Reason into an audio track in Nuendo, while Nuendo plays back the rest of the active tracks. Ie. I want to tweak Reason knobs on-the-fly and record whatever Reason is playing into a new audio track in Nuendo.

I have Reason (2.5) Rewired to Nuendo (1.5.2) as my host (although any recent Steinberg sequencer is probably similar). I can assign a vst mixer track to Reason and hear the playback fine, but I can't assign the Reason output to an audio track in the sequencer.

I know I can mute all other tracks except the Reason track and mix down the track, but that means I'd have to presequence all of my knob tweaks in reason first. While that's fine and that's what I usually do, I'm being so difficult this time because I want to record tweaks I make to the time-sig (1/4, 1/8, 1/8T etc) dial in the Redrum unit, and it can't be sequenced within Reason.

I have a 4in/6out card, so I could run 2 of the outs to 2 of the ins and do it brute force, but I'd rather find a more permanent solution. I've tried using every combination of ASIO drivers I can think of, to get Nuendo to pick up the audio from Reason as incoming audio, but no love.

Any ideas?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

bob stone

TRIBE Member
your post confuses me a bit (maybe even others considering the amount of talent on this board compared to the amount of replies)

bob stone

TRIBE Member
are you saying that you want the control in nuendo, not reason?
is it that you want the reason track (midi) to be converted to an audio track?

halo five

TRIBE Member
My post was confused because I'm confused, I suppose.

I want to record the audio from Reason to an audio track in Nuendo. That's it. I would like to be able to do this while playing back other audio and midi tracks in Nuendo at the same time.

Akin to me recording myself playing guitar along with a bunch of midi/audio tracks in Nuendo, except now Reason is the guitar. (And a guitar doesn't need a Rewire host, and all that other nonsense.)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

bob stone

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by halo five

I have a 4in/6out card, so I could run 2 of the outs to 2 of the ins and do it brute force, but I'd rather find a more permanent solution.

unfortunately, this is the way it's done.
you had it allt eh time.

ludikris

TRIBE Member
you should be bouncing your reason audio by soloing each rewire channel in nuendo then using the "file, export audio mixdown" and letting it bounce a loop or whatever length you want to a new track.

If that's not what you want, what is it that you are unable to do exactly ??

halo five

TRIBE Member
That's what I normally do, but in this case I want to tweak certain knobs in Reason which are not automatable by the Reason sequencer, so I need to record the Reason audio track in real time so I can tweak the Reason knobs as Nuendo records the audio. The Export/mixdown isn't done in real-time it's unfortunately not an option.

ludikris

TRIBE Member
Oh I see. you want to have automation in reason. Just make sure the play button is on in reason and you can record automation in reason that will play in sync with the nuendo project even with the midi notes triggering reason from nuendo.

Or you can have the midi notes from reason trigger reason. Either way, it is possible to have them both running together in rewire mode and have automation in both.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders