• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Help Me Become a Philanthropist!

Inspired by the other job thread(s), I've decided to post my own. With one exception.

This summer, I don't feel like working. Instead, I just want to get a volunteer job Part-time at a Museum or Gallery (Like, the ROM or the PowerPlant, for example).

I'm sure there is a need for dedicated and interested persons who are committed to working at such institutions and willing to be paid $0.00/hour with $0.00 bonuses...

But where? what? how?

Does anyone have any hook-ups or know the process to go about looking for a salary-less j0b? Help!

.StEEvEEdEE.
-Donations are appreciated!-

MoFo

TRIBE Member
DuMaurier Tennis Open at York University. Lots of fun I had.
AGO does kids programs. They need enthusiastic volunteer instructors for Family Days.
Power Plant, forget it. It's like trying to get into a club.
Salvation Army does a nightwatch program where they go around at night to aid the homeless.

Let me follow this up by saying that I just graduated from University ("Yes!! <Arm pump>" -- Macauley Culkin), and I'm headed towards my Masters next year.

I'm (fairly) well educated, but I have little experience. All I really want to do is volunteer.

.StEEvEEdEE.
-Nifty and Crafty-

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Cheeka

TRIBE Member
^^^ I use to do that.
if you do walk dogs @ the Humane Society my advice - don't get attached to them.
its heartbreak city in there :(

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dam That SnarkEE Kid
Hey, thanks MoFo!

If I can't get a job on my own accord, I'll just pretend I'm you.

.StEEvEEdEE.
-Because I can-
Haha, first of all, I've only volunteered a couple of times. I am no saint.
I've done old folk's home stuff.
I used to play in Christmas quartets (Santa Claus parade, Sick Kids Hospital) and helped conduct holiday activities in highschool at Sick Kids Hospital (for terminally-ill children).
I've done the DuMaurier Tennis.
I've done the Toronto Film Festival.

I mostly do it if it involves the arts. It's not like I've worked in a hospital or planted trees.

And I didn't do AGO. I was going to but I found a paying instructional position. Heh.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cheeka
^^^ I use to do that.
if you do walk dogs @ the Humane Society my advice - don't get attached to them.
its heartbreak city in there :(
That's a really cool job to do though!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo

Haha, first of all, I've only volunteered a couple of times. I am no saint.
I've done old folk's home stuff.
I used to play in Christmas quartets (Santa Claus parade, Sick Kids Hospital) and helped conduct holiday activities in highschool at Sick Kids Hospital (for terminally-ill children).
I've done the DuMaurier Tennis.
I've done the Toronto Film Festival.

I mostly do it if it involves the arts. It's not like I've worked in a hospital or planted trees.

And I didn't do AGO. I was going to but I found a paying instructional position. Heh.
Remember Mr. Findlay in 8th grade, Steven? He got me interested in doing gigs for the parade and the hospital.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Also:

Sprockets: kids film festival
The Gay and Lesbian Film Festival
PRIDE DAY!
There's a lot of distress lines that need entry level volunteers to do the grunt work. After a certain amount of hours, you move up to actually taking calls after you're trained.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bumbaclat
Humane Society - walk dogs in the sunshine.

Bumbaclat
funny you mentioned that, me and my girlfriend are going to go over there this weekend and aply to do that.

we really want a nice dog, but god knows neither of us can afford one, and in the end, this is probly better for both the animals and your soul at the end of the day.

I think that this is a kick ass idea...I'm pretty excited about it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Originally posted by MoFo
Also:

There's a lot of distress lines that need entry level volunteers to do the grunt work. After a certain amount of hours, you move up to actually taking calls after you're trained.
See, this is my problem -- I'm only in Toronto for May and June, so I won't be able to volunteer as much (or as long) as I'd really like to.

I have two schools of thought: (a) I tell people I can only work for two months, thus limiting the number of opportunities (b) I don't tell them when I'd leave, and come June I'd quit. Good opportunities, but burned bridges.

.StEEvEEdEE.
-I want an artsy volunteer job too, I hate dying children and animals-

PS -- The flute. And piano (mainly!) Mr Findley and some dude in the FEUT (Remember THAT word?) got me started on Jazz piano.