• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

*HELP* Looking for an architect

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
My neighbor who's a "wiz" needs me to "go in" on having a 3rd floor on our semi detached houses. Since he can't do it without my approval he's trying to railroad me into doing it also.... I want a third floor. But I don't want to end up on "Holmes on Holmes" if he fucks it up.

I've seen enough tv to know not to trust a contractor who says "we dont need an architect"

help me tribe..... or email me (vveerrgg (a.t) g m 4 ! l . c 0 m)

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
so he wants to rip the roof off and add a floor then a new roof?

it really isnt that hard if you know what you are doing, but i wouldnt trust some skeevy neighbour unless he is in the trade
either way, he will need drawings to get it approved by the city/town what have you

just call the town and inform them of what buddy wants to do, or face their wrath when they find out you tried to do it without the proper permits(and pray it doesnt rain)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
pm me and I will turn you on to mine. i don't know if he is accepting any new jobs but you can ask him

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
my neighber is a contractor... but he's always looking to "save" a buck. the thing that concerns me is I know he wants to sell his place after the reno... which will leave me stuck if he does a crap job.

So to save myself the years of wonder I'd rather have a set of architect drawings to work from instead of hand drawn scraps of paper. Call me conservative, but I'd rather be safe then sorry.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
You're conservative.

Doesn't one need engineer approved drawings in order to get the building permit?

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
no if the property owner is the builder, you don't need to have an engineer approved drawing. you just need the city to approve whatever drawings you provide. if you hire a contractor you need to have drawings done. the purpose of this is to prevent the property owner from being hosed by the contractor.... but if you're doing the work yourself and you work to "code" you should be fine to do whatever you want.....

atleast thats what my neighbor has implied.

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
Phil Goldsmith.

http://www.gbca.ca/

i don't know if he does homes, but he does historic restoration in Toronto and high rise offices in China. he's currently working on the Palaise. tell him that you used to pop e's there and maybe he'll cut you a deal.

b

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
vveerrgg said:
no if the property owner is the builder, you don't need to have an engineer approved drawing. you just need the city to approve whatever drawings you provide. if you hire a contractor you need to have drawings done. the purpose of this is to prevent the property owner from being hosed by the contractor.... but if you're doing the work yourself and you work to "code" you should be fine to do whatever you want.....

atleast thats what my neighbor has implied.
but he is doing your house too, and he will need plans, that is a lot bigger than a renovation, that is a complete new floor and roof dude

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
errr, i'm doing my Masters of Architecture Thesis .... does that count? :D

....the fact that you watch holmes on homes puts you in good standing overall. make it right!

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Rajio said:
errr, i'm doing my Masters of Architecture Thesis .... does that count? :D

....the fact that you watch holmes on homes puts you in good standing overall. make it right!
yeah, if you have shit loads of loot to spend, do it his way
if all the jobs were sponsored and funded by dewalt....do it
but they arent, and you only see the worst, he never shows you the jobs that were done well and on budget

there are a lot of hacks out there, so be careful, but the way he does it is just over the top and not even close to being cost conscious

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Rajio said:
thats what makes it entertaining

LOL

"Well the last contracter fucked up by making some crappy wood joists, so we're going to rip those out and put in some titantium joists, then some supports for that, then some supports for the supports."

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Kalemic said:
LOL

"Well the last contracter fucked up by making some crappy wood joists, so we're going to rip those out and put in some titantium joists, then some supports for that, then some supports for the supports."

dont forget the sono tubes and the uprights to support those supports...the whole roof and house has to come down....wish they used dewalt, things would have just been better*promo shot*

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
'oh look, theres a dust bunny. now i'm going to have to take this whole floor out. when will people learn, you need permits. rip it out. do it right. thats what i like to see'

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
he is a good carpenter, but he is going over the top cause he isnt payin for shit, ther eis no need for 90% of the shit he does, but it makes for good tv and DeWalt is always in a great shot.....smeh

he told my mother she needed at least 50 quotes with ref;s b4 she get a job done.....LOL

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
k now i'm paranoid and freaked out... thanks tribe.

paranoid that my neighbor is gonna cheap out the whole project. and that holmes on holmes is gonna show up and tear my house down.

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter
I think that you will probably need a permit since I assume you will probably need electrical/hvac/maybe plumbing work - if you add another story why not put another bathroom.

Also, you may need to think about zoning. I'm not sure how everything works but I know we wanted to put an extension on the back of our house and we needed all kinds of documents to get the building permit (including drawings) and then finally they told us we had to go through zoning due to the fact that our older semi is VERY close to the other houses around it etc.

I say - consult with an architect, get a permit to cover your ass. A house is a big investment and you don't want to get screwed.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Verg. If Holmes on Homes comes to your house, yuo've won the lottery. You WANT them there. Trust me. They will fix everything for free.
But I doubt it'll get to that point.