• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Help! Espresso makers...

Snapper

TRIBE Member
Can anybody recommend a quality espresso maker in the $100-$200 range? I'd prefer to do it up from home rather than spending money on my daily Starbucks habit (which is disgusting, btw)

I've been looking at the Delonghi name brand, specifically this one

Is Delonghi a good name brand?

Are there any other brands that I should take a serious look at?

PS, I've noticed some high end ones that are in the $500 range? The only difference I noticed is wattage and some nice to have extras. Is it really that much better than an espresso maker that is half the price?

Thanks!

evil homer

TRIBE Member
cheap machines tend to be pretty shitty, the moka ones are very cheap though and although it's not exactly espresso, it's probably better than anything you can make at home without dropping some serious coin (more than a year of starbucks) and a few concerted hours getting educated.

if money is an issue i would highly recommend the moka.

these:

Snapper

TRIBE Member
evil homer said:
cheap machines tend to be pretty shitty, the moka ones are very cheap though and although it's not exactly espresso, it's probably better than anything you can make at home without dropping some serious coin (more than a year of starbucks) and a few concerted hours getting educated.

these:
I would like for it to be as close to authentic espresso as possible with a $100-$200 budget. How is that one btw?

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Bialetti's introduce some of the pressure-temperature factors that a regular espresso maker has. It's difficult to find a decent quality espresso maker for under $200 CAD, so that might be the route you want to go. I have a -- *shudder* -- Barista espresso maker (the one that Starbucks sells, they cost close to $450) and am relatively happy with it, but would never have bought it myself (was given to me as a present).

Anyway, yeah...the thing you'll notice about the stove-tops are that they generally won't produce the "crema" that sits on top of the espresso. The flavour and consistency differs slightly, but depending on what your acuity is with coffee, you might be quite happy with the result. :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
20 said:
go for a stove-top Bialetti if you take it black and don't need to steam milk:

dude this is the good one.

weve had the same one at my parnets house forever.
it makes pretty strong expresso (about 4 cups mabey?) and can make a good 1.5 cups of strong ass regular coffee if you fill it with coffee grinds.

you have to be pretty uptight about your cafe' to not like the expresso one of these will bang out using freshly ground high quality beans.

old southern italian trick:

fill the grind space with 3/4 coffee grinds and 1/4 expresso grinds for nice cup of cafe.

baconpan

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
judge wopner said:
fill the grind space with 3/4 coffee grinds and 1/4 expresso grinds for nice cup of cafe.
score

i have a stove top and that's good enough for me in the morning, if i'm out i pretty much have a couple of places around town that are good to go that i usually hit

p.s starfucks esperesso is so fucking gross and watery.. yuk

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

annec

TRIBE Member
If you buy a machine, steam driven ones don't create enough pressure to "push" the water through the espresso. Pump-driven will have ze'power, then you gets z'wimmen!

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
pump machines will give you a better crema, yes but that is subject to personal preference and i've had cafe out of regular ones that were just fine.

+ they are quite expensive and dood already gave his pricepoint range for what he's after.. this = no dice on ze pump for ze powar

Snapper

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the input guys.

So I think this is the bad boy that I'm gonna get, it is a pump driven espresso maker. I'll be getting this for free as part of an incentive program at my work.

Adam

TRIBE Member
Snapper said:
I'll be getting this for free as part of an incentive program at my work.
On the assumption that wired employees are more productive employees?

Sign me up! ;)

Poot

TRIBE Member
evil homer said:

these:
Totally.

That's all nonna's ever had at home, and all I've ever known myself.

More caffeine bang per cup, too.