1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Help cutting the cable

Discussion in 'Technology' started by catilyst, Feb 26, 2015.

1. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

There aren't any Youtube channels per se because live streaming professional sports is illegal and the channel would be shut down immediately. But, there are a bunch of guys who do stream the games by opening one off channels for each game and changing their feed name for each game presumably to try and stay ahead of the man. You can find the feeds really easily on reddit by searching for "nhl streams", "nfl streams" etc. Most links are posted about 15 min before game time.

Admittedly, the best HD quality for the streams I've found is 720p and there is occasional lagging, but they are better than almost all of the other streams I've found on the typical streaming sites...and the price is right.

2. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

right on, thanks for the tip. Ill be on the reddit tip on sunday.

3. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

cricfree dot tv has everything sports related, and as long as you have adblock, you are good to go.

4. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

With Bell, i have 50/10 Fibe.
    Two years ago, they advertised they were going to bring Fiber directly to my house, with twice the speeds.
    zip. nada. removed from the site, can barely get anyone @ Bell to even admit it was there in the first place.
    Now that Bell's going to war against the small guys ( again ), i expect nothing but complete fuckery. pretty sure they just upped the price of wireless and home internet by nearly 5 bucks ( each ) a month.

snip snip.

5. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

I'm watching the game right now!

6. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

Tech Nerds...inquiry !
    dual band wireless gigabit routers have 2.4 and 5.0...i'm hearing that the only devices that ' receive ' 5.0ghz are Apple products right now.
    will a P3 ?
    Laptops ?
    Samsung S3 ?
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 ?
    Wii ?
    or do those just receive 2.4 ghz ?
    should i just focus on a strong wireless router that gives me 8 or so devices at 2.4 ?

I'm a month away from cutting Bell Internet and Cable for good.
    https://www.start.ca/services/highspeed
    Bell gives me their highest internet available, 50 / 10, for around $100.
    Start.ca is ready to give me 120 / 10 with a 500gb cap ( unlimited downloads between 2 am and 8 am ) for $85.

7. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

yesterday, Rogers employee leaked their new skinny prices.
    today, a Bell employee leaked theirs.
    Bell Basic TV - Album on Imgur
    It;s not on Bell's site yet.
    they must be pissed.

8. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

Bell tells staff to downplay new $25 basic TV package ordered by CRTC - Business - CBC News

This is what we currently ( but not much longer ) pay for Bell.
    Cable.
    $81 after taxes.
    Internet. ( 50/10, $10 extra for unlimited ).
    $95 after taxes.
    both will be gone before next billing cycle starts.

going with Start.ca.
    Just internet. ( 120 / 10 ... 500 gb cap, unlimited 2-8am ).
    $100 all in.
    yes, gotta buy a new modem and wireless router, but at least you own it, instead of renting.

Goodbye Bell.

9. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

This reminds me I wanted to check in with Bell for Internet deals. Currently on unlimited for about 80 bucks all in.

10. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Only 802.11 b/g can't receive 5ghz. If a device came out after 2010 it most likely can receive 5ghz.

11. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin TRIBE Member

thankful for beanfield in my area better by miles!

12. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

13. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

No shit, it's called basic package for a reason.

14. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

Linksys EA6350 Review - Best Wireless Routers
    this a decent wireless router ?
    i'd be getting it for 40 bucks, and
    this to help with the upper floors of my 3 story home.
    i iknow the extender doesn't do AC which is cool because barely any of our devices right now receive AC.