• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

help car trouble

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
my check engine light came on and then the car started shaking and there was a rumbling sound any idea what it could be?

i parked it right away

vench

TRIBE Promoter
never mind your car

Lisa needs braces

vench

p.s - sorry to hear about that - my engine light came on once too, but my mechanic fixed it. also - my car wasn't shaking......get it looked at pronto!!

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

swenard

TRIBE Member
was the chek engine light flashing or just on solid?

Flashing is bad!

Solid on means it is more then likely some type of emmision failure(oxygen sensor, exhaust leak, fuel leak, etc...)

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
it was flashing! what could it be? i drive a 2000 tiburon shouldn't have any major repairs ive kept maintenance up and it has about 80,000 clicks

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hipsterave
it was flashing! what could it be? i drive a 2000 tiburon shouldn't have any major repairs ive kept maintenance up and it has about 80,000 clicks
It's a Hyundai.... there's your problem right away.
No matter how pretty or cool looking it is... it's still a hyundai
:(
It's sad that their most reliable car ever is the Accent, and yet they have more expensive cars that don't preform as well.

Either way... get it checked out.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
check the plugs and plug wires.

also, throw some gas line antifreeze into the tank to eat any moisture that could be in your gas.

try jumpstarting it, maybe it's not getting quite enough juice to put out enough electricity to the plugs or fuel pump.

even though it sounds like shit, try to run it until it gets warm, just to see if it's a cold related thing.

hope this helps

Paul

swenard

TRIBE Member

Flashing usually means something internal is fucked and causing the engine to fail. DO NOT START IT UP AND RUN IT.If it was on solid, fine. But, flashing I would take it to the garage.

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
im going to take it to the shop tomorrow or saturday. when i start it It starts and runs but there is a rumbling that shakes the car. not good im scared cant afford to lose my car my job depends on it.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I like how people come onto a message board with vague things about their car, as if there is enough information to tell them something.

What did the light say? Did it say "Check Tribe"?

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
i was just hoping somebody on here would know something about cars, would ask me for the info they need and then give me their analysis. lots of diverse people on tribe thought someone would know

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
But, you do understand that a light and rumbling aren't enough to diagnose anything, right?

It's the same as asking what's wrong if you have a pain in your body and your hands are shaking... help, help, what's wrong with me?

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
ok mr auto mechanic tell me what questions i can answer for you and id be happy to do so.
its christmas all auto shops are closed and im just tryin to get an idea of what could be wrong

dood, get the car towed and have someone look at it. I wouldn't attempt to continue to start it and certainly wouldn't drive it. It really could be any number of things that are causing your engine to shake and the light flash.

Timo, I'm amazed that you're so personally offended by this thread.

Perhaps you should turn on your tv and go get oriented.

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by PosTMOd
But, you do understand that a light and rumbling aren't enough to diagnose anything, right?

It's the same as asking what's wrong if you have a pain in your body and your hands are shaking... help, help, what's wrong with me?

ease up pal..

Someone run over your cat today?

Balzz

TRIBE Member
im going to take it to the shop tomorrow or saturday. when i start it It starts and runs but there is a rumbling that shakes the car. not good im scared cant afford to lose my car my job depends on it.
Do you smell a lot of unburnt fuel at the exhaust?