• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

help: being a fake reference for a friend

oeretS

TRIBE Member
A friend from work who is in a bad spot with management just got another job. He asked if he could use me as a reference, basically posing as his boss. At first I didn't see a problem with it, but now I'm starting to wonder if this is a good idea... The lady who called me about this (left a message) seems to be from some kind of fact-checking organization and and said that the reference check would take approx 20 mins on the phone - that seems long to me.

my question goes out to those who have been used as references: Will I get the 3rd degree or is this just a simple formality in the employment process? If I'm exposed as a fraud, can I face any serious repercussions? Is this a colosally stupid thing to do?

I can easily back out of this if I want to, just wondering what the hell I might be getting myself into.

any advice here would be appreciated:)

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
Some guy at work did this for a relative for a bank loan.

He took some company letterhead and did a full fake reference for them - said they worked at our company and made $xx.xxx.xx having worked here for x years.

The woman from the reference company finished the reference with him, then called back the reception desk and asked for HR.

She got me.

When I told her that the dude did NOT have the title he claimed to, she started fact-checking on the fake employee. Told her we had no employee by that name, and never have.

She faxed me a copy of the reference letter with the guys ACTUAL SIGNATURE on it, and his personal cell phone number as his "work" number. Told me the bank would be following up with their security investigation department (read: his relative was FUCKED).

Long story short, I fired the guy on the spot.

My suggestion: don't do it, it's not worth it. Many companies will call before or after the reference check (usually after) and confirm YOUR title and the reporting structure for DUDE with HR. Good luck if that happens.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
he was missing a lot of work lately because of interviews/job searching etc. He was calling in sick, so if the manager realized this, he would not provide a good reference (that's his rationale anyways)

look, i don't agree at all with this course of action, in fact i think it's completely retarded. but he's a good guy and I'm willing to help him out if it's not too risky for me.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
i did it for a friend of mine back in 2000, i pretended to be his boss at a cell phone company. 20 minute call, and i was
"sad to see him go but my hands were tied as far as a raise was concerned".

he got the job.

haha, well, what can you do (@ brad).
I've tossed a few people for doing fake references. Once you're suspended from a company for doing it, your career there doesn't last long.
oeretS said:
edit: thanks diwc, that pretty much reaffirms my suspicions

No worries dude. It can be pretty risky if you're pretending to be a boss and YOU'RE still at the company where your title can be checked.

If you've both left the company then it doesn't really matter.

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Thumpr said:
i did it for a friend of mine back in 2000, i pretended to be his boss at a cell phone company. 20 minute call, and i was
"sad to see him go but my hands were tied as far as a raise was concerned".

he got the job.

That was probably just a person calling from the company though if it worked. There are actually companies out there of which their entire point is to fact check background details to the highest degree.

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
it was, and she was stupid.

fact checking was all the rage yet in the US, much less here in Canada.

Aphrodite

TRIBE Member
thank you to Klubmasta Will and MoFo for being references.. it looks good and I'm really excited about the position!

It's pretty much the way things work these days.
Reference check co's are becoming really competetive, and backing their results.

Granted, it has a lot to do with how retarded/small (not always paired) the company is that is doing the checks.

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
as long as your friend is aware that it might blow up, and you don't work for that compnay, why not?

often times now, current employers refuse to give references for any reason and will only confirm duration of employment.

if you're a good actor, and you know your friend isn't a screw up- help 'em out.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
daddyiwantchocolate said:
Done and done.

Hey, are you free on the 16th instead of the 15th for lunch?

No. The only reason I am free on the 15th is because I am taking the day off to watch soccer.

AshG

oeretS said:
you wouldn't have looked good in an Arby's uniform anyways

arbys.jpg