• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

help - anyone remember the AGO buying a painting of...

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
one red line just going up the middle of the page? I think it was purchased for millions and created quite the public uproar over how simple it looked. What was the name of that painting?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
one red line just going up the middle of the page? I think it was purchased for millions and created quite the public uproar over how simple it looked. What was the name of that painting?
are you using it in a pitch today, to highlight a good example of 'simple yet effective'?

erika

TRIBE Member
Interesting interview with David Mirvish in the week-end Globe and Mail. He specifically talks about colour-field paintings, and how difficult it is to appreciate them unless you seem them full size as they are meant to be appreciated.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
I saw the Voice of Fire when we went to Ottawa with my school.

i thought the painting to the right of it, that was like a square with a rectangle one top done in the uneven brush stroke and was 1/3 the size more inspiring.

the only reason it was even worth seeing is the location it was originally in at the Art Gallery in Ottawa.

immense blah blah, the conception of something and what it means im not trivializing, but man, 3 fucking stripes and it was purchased for what? 2.5 million or something retarded.

*shakes head*

a name and a concept a expensive painting does not make, or in this case it does regardless of whether its appropriate or not.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
And yet we're still discussing the painting, with implicit and explicit judgments being bandied about re: what constitutes art, what constitutes art worth buying, at what price should art (of this sort or any other) be purchased, as well as public funding for culture at a national level.

Above and beyond the artist's intentions to explore conceptual ideas through the non-mimetic formal qualities of art, I would say this painting has done a wonderful job - at the conceptual level - of exploring art philosophically.

If these sorts of questions stir your juices, I'd suggest reading Arthur Danto's The Abuse of Beauty. He's an emeritus professor of philosophy at Columbia and considered one the great art theorist of the our time. The book essentially explores art's shift from representations of beauty (profane and divine) to abstract formalism to manifestations of the conceptual, in an overarching exploration of what constitutes "art" and what grand definition of art can satisfactorily encompass and explain all of the shifting preoccupations among various movements and individual artists.

Spoiler: Hegel was right all along. (He always is).

The Abuse of Beauty: Aesthetics and the Concept of Art (The Paul Carus Lectures Series 21): Arthur C. Danto: 9780812695403: Amazon.com: Books