1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Helena Guergis sacked from Parliament

Discussion in 'Politics (deprecated)' started by 2canplay, Apr 10, 2010.

1. 2canplay

2canplay TRIBE Member

2. judge wopner

judge wopner TRIBE Member

1. something about a mortgage she got w/ no down payment that was shady

2. her husband, ex-MP has been in the news and he looks even more like an ass-hat in light of their investigations.

3. her husband was also using an email address from her office which could be considered conflict of interest as it makes it appear like he's on her staff or still working for the government. dumb move.

4. she had that freak out in the airport a while back.

5. her portfolio consists of nothing more than imagined accomplishments and false bravado.

6. when she was criticized for her actions one of her own staffers wrote a letter to macleans advocating on her behalf but didnt declare the affiliation and used her maiden name as a shoddy cover up of this fact until it was discovered.

she like many other conservatives have now turned the party into a circus. i hope they get sacked in the next election if only the liberals can find a decent leader.

3. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ya and what Im interested in is more on the "email trail" that required Harper to notify the RCMP of some shit.

What a joke.

4. 2canplay

2canplay TRIBE Member

These two reek, eh? How do two super-dodgy people manage to find one and other like this?

5. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

they'll be divorced within a year.
    or they'll turn into crackheads.

6. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

How did they both manage to get elected? The local newspaper/Liberal opponent should be ashamed that they didn't dig up any shit when they were running for office.

7. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

The guergis family is really making a name for itself - her brother, Tony Guergis is a councilor in North Simcoe and he's basically fucked himself supporting a dump (the infamous dumpsite 41) - he will not win reelection in the fall... Methinks the Guergis political dynasty comes to an end!

8. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

Guergis Let Hubby Use Her Government Car & Driver

what an airhead.

As the prime minister remains mum on the details of a possible RCMP investigation on former cabinet minister Helena Guergis, a recent report suggests she instructed her government driver to shuttle her husband around Ottawa.

A report in the Globe and Mail Tuesday claims Guergis let her spouse, former Edmonton MP Rahim Jaffer, use her government car and driver to travel to Parliament Hill, restaurants and other places.
    Guergis Let Hubby Use Her Government Car & Driver: Report - CityNews

9. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    and for a business that was aiming to get government contracts - conflict of interest or what??
    I can't think they are that stupid; it must be that their egos are larger than their brains (or it's coke)

10. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

11. 2canplay

2canplay TRIBE Member

^^^yes, now we are getting our teeth into something. I figured it had to be something out of the ordinary to get Harper to sack her the way he did.

12. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

...and those teeth are now numb as hell

13. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

cocaine and hookers ?:O

14. 2canplay

2canplay TRIBE Member

lol.

15. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

Helena, you are one cool wife, baby. lol

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  16. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

They are all over Simcoe county in politics etc. Tony Guergis is currently the mayor of Springwater Twp (he was the Warden for Simcoe previously I believe). Yeah, he messed up on the dump and did a lot of backpedalling. David Guergis is the mayor of Essa Twp. They are both her cousins, not brothers I think. Her sister is a councillor in New Tecumseth.

A Guergis was my real estate agent when we moved here. He was actually super nice but had the kind of personality that could have easily transitioned into politics. Must be in the genes.

I'm in Barrie proper, so none of them are my councillors. However my office is in Springwater and our district area covers all of them, so we do meet with the various councillors sometimes.... this in particular was interesting:

David Guergis too, however, has faced controversy related to the environment. He proposed late last year to dissolve the Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority. Though he later withdrew the motion, he drew criticism when it emerged that his wife owned potential development property on a local flood plain. The dissolution proposal was unrelated to the property, he said.

Guergis family dominant in Simcoe County politics - thestar.com

17. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

the truly slimy thing about Tony Guergis is how he's been handling the backroom dealings on Simcoe County Council re: the dump - they cancelled the dump, but voted against removing the certificate of approval for using the site as a dump, meaning that a future company could come in and propose one and we'll have to go through the whole mess again trying to prevent it. Guergis and his cronies keep referring the matter to the Provincial government, but the Province keeps saying they will only revoke the CofA if Simcoe Country requests it.

18. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

if they / we create garbage its gotta go somewhere.

19. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

That's not the problem - the problem is that the dumpsite is an outdated use that was approved over 20 years ago - and there were several reports on the site that determined the liner (supposedly preventing toxins from leaching into the groundwater) was only guaranteed for a year after installation. Other waste disposal methods have come along since then (like incineration) that are much more environmentally responsible.

20. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i see. that's definitely a bigger issue.

(but don't mention incineration too loudly in other parts of Southern Ontario...!)

21. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Some where like cottage country over an aquifer is a great plan.

22. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

I'm not sure why we aren't all dumping our garbage into a volcanoe in Iceland.

23. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

I'm a big fan of incineration. The way they design incinerators now the air coming out of them is very clean and they have the added benefit of generating heat and power for the surrounding community. I think if they just switched gears and built an incinerator on the same site, the reaction from the community would be much different.

24. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

25. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

(how's THAT for off-topic? :p )