• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Heat..... Not gettin any.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
anyone else having a hard time heating their house?

Since this cold snap it's been impossible to heat up my house. I normally have my thermostat set to around 23 degrees but it just can't seem to get warmer than 20/21 degrees, which is pretty chilly to my skinny little self.

So last night I cranked it to 30 degrees and it finally warmed up to like 24, but like holy shit. My Furnace is running constantly, it never shuts off, and wouldn't get any warmer than that. So I turned it back down and am using a portable heater, which will definately increase my hydro. :eek:

Any suggestions on what this cause might be. Someone said that it could be becuase of the demand that the pressure is not there. But fuck, if I'm paying top dollar to heat my home, it better get damn well warm and I shouldn't have to pay to run my furnace at 30 just to keep it warm at 24 nor should I have to use a portable heater.

I should also mention that I have checked the filters and they are clean ;)

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
seal around all doors and windows. My grandparents used to use masking tape to do this. (also put a draft stopper by the bottom of the door etc) It really works. also close off the vents in rooms your not using, shut the doors. (I'm thinking about what I doo to keep my house cool in the summer, but I think it will work in winter as well ;) )

IgStar

TRIBE Member
my shitty old house isn't insulated right. My fucking hydro bill is going to make me barf next month.

defazman

TRIBE Member
2 days ago my furnace wouldnt shut off - it was around 30 degrees
today the furnace wont turn on - it was 15 degrees this morning.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
yeah there is a major draft coming from my front door. I've been lazy about getting the weather stripping.

I've closed my curtains in my bedroom (coldest room in the house) and place object around them so that no cold air gets in.

I also keep the blinds closed in the rest of the house to keep the cold air out. I've tried about everything. My furnace has a humidifier on it, but I don't get the logic.

The colder it is outside, it says the humidity setting should be lower??? like -20 degrees set to 15%, +7 degree set to 40% :confused: It jsut seems backwards?

But if I set my thermostat to 25 degrees shouldn't it at least get to that temperature. I set it to 25 and it can't see to get above 21.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by labRat
clean the filter.

I had this exact problem last week. My apartment last friday was 13 degrees even though the thermostat was cranked. I got my landlord to change the filter and the heat flowed right in. If you have gas heating, check your vents for airflow. If there's none,then your filter needs to be replaced.

*c*

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
I never have to turn on the heat in my condo. The heat that my amplifier gives off is enough to keep the entire place warm.

But it means I am being ripped off, because I am essentially paying for the heat, even though it is included in my condo fees.

Cheers ... Ian :)

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
I haven't had to turn on the heat since we moved into our condo 2 years ago. Guess it must be the fact that it is well insulated and our unit is an inside one, with no outside wall exposed to the elements.

I actually had to open the window last week cuz it was like 28 degrees inside, and that was by the window....

Our hydro bill in the winter is actually waaay less than in the summer. Plus it's not included in the condo fees so we aren't paying for something we're not using!

Maggs :D

IgStar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by jmaggs
I haven't had to turn on the heat since we moved into our condo 2 years ago. Guess it must be the fact that it is well insulated and our unit is an inside one, with no outside wall exposed to the elements.

I actually had to open the window last week cuz it was like 28 degrees inside, and that was by the window....

Our hydro bill in the winter is actually waaay less than in the summer. Plus it's not included in the condo fees so we aren't paying for something we're not using!

Maggs :D

um, yeah. wrong thread.
this is for people going broke and starving b/c we need to pay for our heat. :p

thx for sharing.

Bosse

TRIBE Member
what a misleading subject title.
I though you were in heat, like a dog, and you werent gettin any. Obviously i assumed sex.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I open my windows in my Apartment all year round.

The bedroom one actually was frozen open the other night, I had to use force to get it closed a bit...

But I live in a building where a bunch of old people must complain, because it's so hot if I keep all my windows closed.

Usually 24-26 with a window partly open!

pr0nstar :D

labRat

TRIBE Member
another thing i find helps is that during the day, if you have any windows that face the sun, open the blinds and let the sun warm the house. this is quite noticeable.

but make sure to close the blinds when the sun sets.

zoo

TRIBE Member
last month we got a $260 heating bill for a small 4 person student house

now we keep the heat at 17deg, which i doubt it's even achieving

it's gotten cold in herrre

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Ah student housing. We actually had ice form on our kitchen floor one year. Big 7 person house, furnace on all the time. Upstairs toasty warm, downstairs freezing cold.

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
You should try going to home hardware or another hardware store and get a winter window sealing kit. Its quite cheap and is essentially very large saran wrap and tape. You seal off your windows with this and it makes a huge difference in terms of insulation, especially if you have an older drafty house.