• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Hearing Loss

dabeats

TRIBE Member
Recently while playing out I have been experiencing sudden hearing loss in my left ear. I thought it was my equipment malfunctioning but after going to a concert recently I noticed it again.

I think that after all the years of Dj`ing and going to concerts with my ears unprotected that it is starting to affect my hearing. I also use my headphones primarely on my right ear leaving the left one exposed.

My question to all the dj`s is have you ever used earplugs while mixing? What kind of earplugs do you use? Has this ever happened to you?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
BEST MOVIE EVAR!

I was thinking, you know Paul Newman's got his salad dressing and that? So why not Frankie Wilde Hummus? People come see the gigs and they say, "That was a great set, Frankie," and I say, "Cheers, mate, want some hummus?"

praktik

TRIBE Member
Try these:

cheap and effective

would probably need spacious over the ears to make it work, worth a shot anyway you might as well get a pair for when you go out and don't DJ anyway! You get the full sound w/o the muffling you get with dumber methods like foam or crumpled paper towel or what have you...

videotronic

TRIBE Member
if youre out a lot just spend the $150 and get some proper musicians earplugs made. they take some getting used to (any plug will at first) but they'll fit under your cans no probs. i had -25 at first but found them too overpowering and went down to -15. quite happy there

best part is like 99% of systems actually sound *better* with them in.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Thing is you can get the ety's for around 1/10th of that and get 90% of the effectiveness - maybe even more, fact is they're -20db so kinda in between where you're at and I think nearly anyone can get a good seal with the cone tips

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
I once thought I had hearing loss but it turned out to be a giant piece of earwax. The doctor just flushed it out.

You never know. Go see a doctor.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I use that murine shit, takes a bit of doing... but ya before I started using that had a doctor flush it out after I thought I lost my hearing once...

it was gross when that plug came out!

videotronic

TRIBE Member
Thing is you can get the ety's for around 1/10th of that and get 90% of the effectiveness - maybe even more, fact is they're -20db so kinda in between where you're at and I think nearly anyone can get a good seal with the cone tips
You ever pull headphones on and off with those things sticking out of your ears?

alison87

TRIBE Member
I bought a -15 pair of those Etymotic ones years ago when i realized how tired my ears would get from dancing in front of the speakers all night. I don't always remember to bring them with, but the times i have when the sound system was for shit (or it was just plain loud) it has been totally worth it.

It's interesting that this thread came up this week because i literally just sprung for proper fitted earplugs due to how tired my ears get when i'm working on tracks at home. It seems like a weird thing to do (earplugs under cans), but i've known DJs since the 90s who do it, and honestly, if you're playing out on the reg it'd be stupid not to. A couple hundred bucks is less than what a lot of us spend on a weekend partying (or less than what we did in the good old days) and tinnitus is for life. Plus you can write it off.

There are a shit-ton of Tribe threads on this (some pretty amusing). I read some to find out the best place to to go. Ended up here: MusiciansClinics.ca | Whats New Nice guy.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders