• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Healthy Eating Recipes (the right way to diet)

EBiRT

TRIBE Member
If you got a sec, post your fav recipe.

This example is called "Chick a le mon" and is for one serving;

1 Chicken (approx. 31/2 lb)

2 Tea spoons dried tarragon

1/4 Cup unsalted butter

2 Tbls Dijon mustard

3 Lemons

3 Yellow onions cut in half crosswise

3 Tbls balsamic vinegar

Salt and freshly ground pepper

Pre heat oven to 375 degrees F. Sprinkle the chicken's cavity with on tsp. tarragon. Place 1/2 lemon in the cavity. Squeeze the remaining lemons until you have 1/4 cup juice. Melt butter in a small pan. Stir in lemon juice, the remaining tarragon and the mustard. Brush the butter mixture over the chicken. Arrange onions around chicken. Brush onions with remaining butter mixture. Roast in the oven for 30 min. Spoon the balsamic vinegar over the onions and roast for another 30 min. Sprinkle with salt and pepper before serving, and enjoy!

swilly

TRIBE Member
i got one as well

Williams okra chicken vindaloo

1 chicken breast

half green bell pepper

several cloves of garlic

3 onions

can of okra or fresh okra

2 chopped up fresh tomatoes

pataks vindaloo paste

soy sauce

1 lemon

chop up all ingredients and divide into several bowls. in a frying pan add several tea spoons of olive oil and turn on to high heat.
add the chopped garlic and let brown for 1 minute adding flavor to the oil. Then add the chopped onions and green peppers and chicken into the pan and stir constantly. After chicken looks somewhat cooked cut the lemon in half and add the juice of half the lemon to the frying vegetables and chicken. repeat with several dashes of soy sauce. In a small bowl mix togethor 1.5 tea spoons of pataks curry paste and with a quarter cup of water in a bowl and mix throughly. After chicken and vegetables look cooked to the point that stiry fry would be add the chopped okra and chopped tomatoes. Then add the curry sauce to the mix and let simmer for several minutes. Make sure to keep stiring constantly and only cook on high heat low heat will cause the okra and garlic to get over cooked. add the remainging lemon if you want but i always save it for the next day

voila after 2- 3 minutes it should be done and more taste curry and healthy curry i have never had. Bone appetite

merci
william

deep

TRIBE Member
can't you read ? :mad:

it says 31/2

so 15.5 lbs.

jerk

:mad:

anyways this is a good thread idea

swilly

TRIBE Member
as of late i have been substituing the chicken with cuttle fish. It really adds a nice flavor to the curry and has immense amounts of protien and very low fat.

How is okra on carbs i wonder? whatever it tastes good
cheers
william

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Fuck salad. Fuck grains.
Go with the Chinese Poverty diet.

A bowl of rice.
Boiled or steamed bok choy with no salt or oil.
Two pieces of fatty, preserved duck.

The rice will give you carbs but not enough to hold any fats like pasta (for example: ALL Asians, heh).
Bok choy is a good source of calcium, vitamins and other good stuff. Eat it plain. Take in the natural flavours. I can eat a shitload of bok choy and there are dozens of types to choose from.
Fatty preserved duck might give you cancer but hey, it's derived from poverty in China. Things are salted for longevity and all you need is one piece because it's so salty, you can't eat more than that. So essentially, you end up eating two bitefuls of meat to every bowl of rice. Which is nothing. The fats in the skin will keep your skin nice.

Preserved fish works well too or bean curd. All you need a rice and voila, you're fresh off the boat!

Gunark

TRIBE Member
the Willett diet

There's an interesting article in this month's Discovery magazine about healty diets and such.

It compares the classic Ornish (low-fat) diet vs. Atkins vs. what they call the Willett diet. They claim that this last one is becoming the concesus among the academic community regarding what a healthy diet should look like.

Similarly to the Atkins diet, white bread, potatoes, pasta, white rice, and other simple carb foods are a big no-no. According to Willett, anything that causes a glucose spike is bad (it leads to insulin resistance, blah blah blah). On the other hand, red meat and animal fat of any sort are also forbidden. Saturated fats are also evil. Interestingly soy is viewed with suspicion and recommended only in moderation (besides the link with breast cancer, there are all kinds of new studies suggesting that soy may have a nasty dark side).

So what CAN you eat? Lots of fruits and vegetables. Whole grain stuff. Fat is recommended over carbs, but only from vegetable oil sources. Nuts and legumes are good too. Eggs are okay (cholesterol or not, there is not a single study actually linking egg consumption with heart disease)...

I don't normally pay attention to discussion of any sort of "diets" (especially ones with a TMs after their names)... but the article is an interesting read. Rather than dictating someone's dogma about what you should and shouldn't eat, it analyses tonnes of recent long-term nutritional studies and tries to build a recommendation on that.

Of course the content of a diet doesn't really matter if you can't get people to follow it. Many proponents of the whole Atkin's thing concede that while perhaps it is not the healthiest choice, it is at least realistic. In the end it's better to follow a so-so diet than to completely fail at a good one.

(I'm not quite sure what the point of writing all this was. But it's written so I'm gonna press Submit.)

P.S. Sunny --> white rice - nuh uh. Also, your asian diet needs more fruits and vegetable oil and less duck.

Last edited:

MoFo

TRIBE Member
No way. I ate fucking salads and veggie pasta for a whole summer and had the runs every fucking day. I hated it.

I couldn't wait to get back onto sticky rice and CHUNKS OF FATTY GOODNESS. Duck has been a staple since we were babies.

I think it's also about genetics and cultural differences. I didn't grow up on "rice and fish" as they say but I did grow up on bok choy, rice and tea. So I've had a pretty consistent diet. So me eating a sandwich or pasta or some sort of raw vegetable just makes me feel sick. Even fruit is gross. I had to make myself learn to drink juice without it churning my stomach and force myself to get used to milk.

My grandmother on my dad's side was a cheap ol' woman who didn't think she deserved to eat anything good or rich so she ate bland food all her life and she died of a brain aneurism. There were so many problems with her blood and her insides that her body flooded with it. She literally drowned in her own blood from the inside out. And she was really unhealthy.

My grandma on my mom's side eats crap. She doesn't cook so she buys duck and all that fatty stuff all the time. She's in her 80's and used to beat me racing up subway station stairs. She'll live to be 100 for sure.

Gunark, I'll bet you anything that as a meat eater, I eat more vegetables than you. It's insane how many various choys we meet every day. Sometimes, I just eat noodles and at 250 mL a serving, I'll probably eat 4 times that much or more. Of course, I'm not saying that that's a good thing because I do have somewhat of an eating disorder goin' on.

Last edited:

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Oh, and is white rice bad like white bread?
I bought white bread this week by mistake so it's the first time since last May that I've had white bread. It's sooo good!
After this loaf, it's back to whole wheat.

Gunark

TRIBE Member
Yeah but that's because all asian people know Kung Fu, and as everyone knows you live to 150 and know how to fly.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Liquidity
yep. sorry.

brown rice is supposed to be good, tho...
Oh no, that's fine. I've been eating it all my life. It gives me energy. The fact that it might be bleached is a bit of a downer though.

What's wrong with white rice?

Gunark

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
Best fried with drizzling hot oil and garlic.
Right. Part of a healthy Willett diet :D (I like it with olive oil)

Re: Why is white rice bad? I'm not a biochemist, but I think the explanation goes something like this:

1. the carbs in white rice are very quickly broken down into glucose
2. because of the quick breakdown, a lot of glucose is rapidly released into the blood (you get a glucose spike... a.k.a. sugar high)
3. your pancreas kicks in and starts releasing insulin to help your cells absorb the glucose... since you just put A LOT of glucose in your blood, you need to release a lot of insulin
4. for many people, cells throughout the body tend to build up resistance to insulin... you end up needing more and more of it to get the same glucose absorption... this is the beginning of insulin resistance syndrome
5. in some people this leads to type 2 diabetes (an increasingly growing number in north america)... but most just end up with marginally high insulin blood levels, leading to obesity and heart problems

Of course this doesn't mean that eating a bowl of white rice is going to kill you. It won't. And it's probably better than a bowl of MacDonalds french fries. But that said, it wouldn't hurt to buy brown rice next time instead of white. It might save you some flabbiness when you start hitting your 30's.

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
Oh no, that's fine. I've been eating it all my life. It gives me energy. The fact that it might be bleached is a bit of a downer though.

What's wrong with white rice?
BROWN RICE

Brown rice is the whole rice kernel from which only the inedible hull has been removed. The bran is left intact, making brown rice more nutritious as compared to white rice.

Milling is the primary difference between brown and white rice. Also known as “whitening”, milling removes the outer bran layer of the rice grain, leaving a core comprised of mostly carbohydrates. Fibre is lower in white rice, as are the oils, most of the B vitamins and important minerals.

Benefits
Brown rice on the other hand, is low in fat, cholesterol free, gluten free, salt free, is rich in dietary fibre and lots of vitamin B’s & E. It is not only filling but also benefits health. Brown rice is a perfect grain for diabetes as the fibre content and complex carbohydrates keeps the blood sugars in check.