• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Headphones #2

bambam

TRIBE Member
Ive been using the Sony Mdrv300's for a while now...theyre good solid headphones, and theyre comfortable even if you have them on all day. If I had the money though, Id buy the sennheiser whit noise ones.

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
like many things in life, you get what you pay for.

depends on the application though...I'm sure for general walkman type listening, these would all be fine.

For DJing/gigging, they all look like they'd get crushed in a week.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
I've used these and they are good all around phones.

Bass sounds clean.
Treble does as well.

Are you going to be using these for DJ'ing or personal "portable" use?

DJ use - I wouldn't recommend it, we went through 2 pairs of these in a month...the plastic kept breaking.

Personal use - I'd go for it. They are really well rounded headphones that should do what you need.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
question: while i am on the subway I feel like people can hear my music and I am trying to eliminate that - that is why I am getting headphones like this ( the ones I have now are just cheap in your ear ones). Will people still be able to hear my music?

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by junglegirl
Will people still be able to hear my music?
If you crank it, and they are right next to you, they might be able to hear some bass or some high snares...but overall, you should be able to keep out noise overflow.

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
if you truely want to stop overflow, you'll have to look at a lot more expensive cans than these, but if you're on the subway (noisy anyway), most of these should be okay if you aren't gonna crank your tunes.

Have a friend come with you to the store...bring your player and try out each of these.

Have your friend rate them on sound leakage and you rate them on fit/quality/sound etc.

Then pick the one that has the highest marks in all categories.

DONE AND DONE :D

gollum

TRIBE Member
I bought SennheiserHD570's, best fucking headphones I've ever had.

They are open style though so they let some sound in (which I like in case the phone rings or something).

The only thing I don't like is they are plastic and squeek sometimes when I move my head.

I don't really have an opinion on your choices, as I like mine :)

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by junglegirl
question: while i am on the subway I feel like people can hear my music and I am trying to eliminate that - that is why I am getting headphones like this ( the ones I have now are just cheap in your ear ones). Will people still be able to hear my music?
there are in the ear headphones that seal music into your ear canal, too

you haven't stated your budget...there are $500 earbuds in the style described as well as $100 ones

deep

TRIBE Member
koss ksc-35's are fantastic portable headphones, around $35, have reccomended them to many here , but they have a slightly open design so some sound would leak out...however their sound is generally comparable to headphones ~$120-150

I've heard people like the koss R80 for an inexpensive closed headphone...closed headphones seal off sound from the outside and vice versa

sennheiser has a couple headphones in that range...check out the PX200, also well reccomended for an inexpensive closed headphone

Last edited:

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
koss ksc-35's are fantastic portable headphones, around $35, have reccomended them to many here , but they have a slightly open design so some sound would leak out...however their sound is generally comparable to headphones ~$120-150

My pair just came in the mail ... and they actually sound -better- than my girlfriend's closed $70 Sony MDR V300's.

I highly recommend these headphones .. and I didn't get charged taxes, nor did I pay any customs / handling fees at the border.

Weird, but awesome! :)

sentence

TRIBE Promoter
for about $30, you can get a decent pair of numarks at play de record. they're by no means a high end headphone, but they sound good, they're loud, they're durable and they're totally worth the 29.99 you'll pay for them.

(edit: and i bet they're better than the one's you linked to)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Spikey

TRIBE Member
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=2&WLBS=fsweb16&sku_id=0665000FS04312280&catid=&newdeptid=2
I have heard these in action and I must say I was surprised at the sound quality. I would not recommend them for DJ use but for personal use they're great.

mutslaster

TRIBE Member
deep where can i get those sennheisers? having trouble finding distributors in TO... somewhere online? (bay-bloor radio has a selection but not the PX200s)

deep

TRIBE Member
dunno. I don't have sennheisers myself so don't know where to get them around here.

the px100's are the same as the px200's but don't attempt to make a seal around the ear. I've heard of some people preferring the sound of the px100, so that's another one to try out.

in all honesty I think the best portable /relatively inexpensive headphone you can get are the koss ksc-35's.

You might want to drop ashg a line, if i recall correctly he's a sennheiser fan so might know which place has a bunch in.

zoo

TRIBE Member
the general consensus from audiophiles and message board nerds is that the px200s are terrible

although i have heard good things about the px100s, and the big-ass sonys that were posted above, although since they are actually open [they look closed], there is sound leakage

message board of headphone obsessives:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=2

very large list of headphone comparisons, specs, pictures, and reviews:

http://headroom.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=26

deep

TRIBE Member
I wouldn't say the general consensus is that the px200's are "terrible", basically how it sounds to a person depends on how well it creates a seal on their ears. If the seal is good they tend to really like the headphones, if it isn't the bass can sound diluted and they don't. hence the split in opinion

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders