• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Headphone Choice?

ghaleon

TRIBE Member
Just got a killer valentines day present from my wife, a pair of sony mdr-v700dj headphones :p

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...iesStudioMonitor&ProductSKU=MDRV700DJ&Dept=pa

These are miles better than my old ones. Clear as a bell, especially the highs and mids. However, I noticed that the bass wasnt THAT prominent...something that may bug me in the future. They cost 230$ canadian.

Are there any other headphones for a similiar price you would recommend? pros/cons? Senn hd 25's ?

thanks in advance

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
I have Sony MDR-7505's... no complaints... although they are the only pair I have ever had so I have nothing to compare them to... they were $100 american...

sohaness

TRIBE Member
oh shit...i was just about to start a thread about headphones!!

i am looking to buy the sony 7509's but they are super expensive at the sony store. does anyone know a place in TO that i can get them for relatively cheap? (cheaper than the 339+tax @ sony store)

steve.

ninja

TRIBE Member
Nice I love those headphones.
I have the 500's they're pretty basic and low end but they do the job, the only thing I've noticed about the sony headphones is that they get very loose fitting after time

deep

TRIBE Member
I've never heard of anyone saying the MDR-700's were light on bass, that's pretty much their forte. They're not that durable, so be careful with them - people usually find the hinge breaks easy on them.

My current headphones (Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pros) are even better in the bass department, if that's what you're looking for. I've owned the MDR-700's and prefer these much better.

I don't recall offhand what the impedence of the MDR-700's are, but generally with high end headphones you need an amp to properly drive them and give them the juice to display their full sonic character. High impedance (>32 ohm) absolutely require an amp to drive them, under that you can get away without an amp. Driving high end headphones off a portable player won't typically provide the cans with the power they need.

check out the forums @ www.head-fi.org.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sohaness

TRIBE Member
i used to have the v700's and they were good for like a year and a half, and then boom the left hinge broke and the sound kept cutting off on that side.

when they were working they sounded good. but i couldnt wear them for more than 2 hours straight.

steve.

ghaleon

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
I've never heard of anyone saying the MDR-700's were light on bass, that's pretty much their forte. They're not that durable, so be careful with them - people usually find the hinge breaks easy on them.

My current headphones (Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pros) are even better in the bass department, if that's what you're looking for. I've owned the MDR-700's and prefer these much better.

I don't recall offhand what the impedence of the MDR-700's are, but generally with high end headphones you need an amp to properly drive them and give them the juice to display their full sonic character. High impedance (>32 ohm) absolutely require an amp to drive them, under that you can get away without an amp. Driving high end headphones off a portable player won't typically provide the cans with the power they need.

check out the forums @ www.head-fi.org.

The impedence on my headphones is 24ohms. I'm listening to them through my stereo right now, and to me they still sound fairly bright....anyways, I'll usually be listening to these through my mixer, and my soundcard.

I just don't think they are producing a well rounded sound, you know? Like the highs and mids are boosted? This may be great for mixing, (which they were bought for) but I would still like to hear more bass. I'll check out your headphones, just as long as they are a similiar price to these ones :p

one more thought - might these need to be burned in a bit till I hear more bass?

Last edited:

deep

TRIBE Member
You just got them right? Headphones need some time to be burned in before they lose that characteristic brightness and settle into their sound. Give it some time, usual burn in period is like 24 hours straight of music being pumped through them.

The other thing that bears mentioning is that high quality headphones will generally reveal the brightness / harshness / flaws that exists in typical consumer grade computer audio equipment / mp3's.

ghaleon

TRIBE Member
ya i just read the burn in faq at that site hehe

very interesting, and it makes sense. I'll play music through them overnight, then re-judge.

I thought mp3's only became 'harsh' in the high freq's?

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ghaleon
ya i just read the burn in faq at that site hehe

very interesting, and it makes sense. I'll play music through them overnight, then re-judge.

I thought mp3's only became 'harsh' in the high freq's?

they can sound tinny, depending on their encoding quality. generally anything under 192 kbps is garbage...what you want to find / do is encode using the alt-preset variable bit rate encoding standards...

headphones like grado's (which are characteristically bright) will intensify the brightness of the source files...darker headphones will balance them out. audio alchemy :)

yeah, give those sony's a burn in then judge em...that's kinda the pisser with high end audio equipment, you're excited when you get them to hear them full force but gotta wait a while until they settle in

Once they do, though...well I can tell you one of the nicest things is continually being satisfied with the stuff you've purchased in terms of what they give you back

oh, and if you do a search at head-fi you'll find piles of threads on the mdr-700's ..

happy listening :)

Last edited:

C-NiCE

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by ghaleon
ppl on that forum are REALLY into thier fucking headphones

Yeah, those head-fi people are pretty fanatical about there cans. Still the best resource for info though. :)

Another set of phones I would recommened looking into are the sony 7506's. Though a bit lighter in the bass department, the sound balance and clarity is phenomenal. I use these for home use and club use and I love them. More durable than the V 700's as they don't have that crappy hinge and pretty much industry standard in the recording/TV industry, they are definitely worth checking out.

MDR-7506small.jpg

Alvaro G

I have the Pioneer sem 10R's. they have the same specs as the Sony 700's, but these ones def. won't snap cause its all made of steel :)

They're full-sized, closed-type monitor headphones that deliver full, rich musical reproduction. They're also really comfortable to wear during long listening sessions. The Monitor-10Rs feature a powerful Neodymium magnet, a large 50mm driver, and a 3000-mW power input. Plus, they have a turn-over housing construction and they fold up for easy storage.

50mm Driver Wide freq. Range 3000 mW power Input Neodymium Magnet Swivel -Turn-Over Housing Construction Fold-Up Design Exchangeable Cord

zoo

TRIBE Member
my 4 year old $39.99 sealed JENSEN headphones just died

can anyone help me find a replacement?

i want headphones that sound good, don't have to be sealed, but have to fit my head well

i need:

-good sound
-portability
-almost exclusive use on my mp3 cd player
-not ass ugly

my budget is $70 - $100

can anyone recommend anything?

so far i've been looking at beyer/senn/sony/koss/jvc

nobody likes jvc, the portapro koss's are popular but i can't find any local retailers, same goes for beyer, and senn's are available at futureshop but not the px100s [which is what i want]

help!

recommend me something that you use / think is good!

zoo

TRIBE Member
so far i'm thinking about getting the Sennheiser 437 for $60 at futureshop ..

the Sennheiser 477 for $100 and the Sony MDR 500's for $100 are an option as well

if i could i'd like to try the Beyerdyamic DT 231, but alas i have no idea who might sell it ...

deep

TRIBE Member
highly reccomend the koss ksc-35's, they are bar none the best portable headphones you can get other than etymotic's earbuds (which run about $400 usd)

They're around $35 US...if you buy from koss' site I don't recall having gotten hit with customs or crazy shipping charges...

sennheiser's px200 is well liked , decent looks and more of a conventional headphone type

plus it's a closed design so sound leakage won't be as much as the aforementioned koss's, but open designs (like koss) tend to have a more expansive soundstage

sony's v6 is another possibility, but I think they're around $100 USD

I don't think beyerdynamic makes a headphone in that range, but the dt250-80 is one to consider

oh grado's sr60s / sr80's are another possibility ... expansive soundstage, lots of detail but a bit bright

I bought my beyer's from meier audio overseas...shipping was included I think ...

bought my grado's from goodcans.com

both have highly respectable people behind them

bay bloor audio and steve's would be places you could test drive different cans and see which ones you liked best

twitch

TRIBE Member
I got the Sony MDR V900 for about $250, and I love 'em.

Satori recently got Seinheisers, he likes 'em but I still like mine better.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by C-NiCE
Yeah, those head-fi people are pretty fanatical about there cans. Still the best resource for info though. :)

Another set of phones I would recommened looking into are the sony 7506's. Though a bit lighter in the bass department, the sound balance and clarity is phenomenal. I use these for home use and club use and I love them. More durable than the V 700's as they don't have that crappy hinge and pretty much industry standard in the recording/TV industry, they are definitely worth checking out.

MDR-7506small.jpg

Depending on your needs it hard to do better than the shure ear buds.
I have had the Sonys that you show here and though they sound good(with good headamp) they were nothing but trouble.

The reason I am not using them is because once again the head band broke for the 4th time.

labRat

TRIBE Member
what is this "burn in"?

if it were required on high end audio equipment, wouldn't you think the manufacturer would've done that in a controlled state. rather than let the consumer do it?

i think it's more that the consumer's brain gets used to them and does a little DSP filter to get the response they would rather have. +/- a few dB.

marcinm

TRIBE Member
forget all that... I have the Pioneer HDJ-1000 headphones and they're awesome.. they sound awesome, and feel great on your head.. and oh yeah, did i mention that they look cool too ;)

hdj-1000.jpg

see what I mean.. and the design is nice and sturday... lots of DJ's are switching over to these, Cosmic Gate is just one example :)

zoo

TRIBE Member
B00005MNHL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

KSC-50 .. the successors to the KSC-35, using the exact same drivers

these are $12 on www.amazon.com

but amazon.com won't ship to canada :(

does anyone have any idea as to where i might find these in canada?

i've tried most of the more 'obvious' canadian retailers ...