• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Headlining DJ Timeslot

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
I dont know if it's because I'm getting old or something, or maybe it's just that I like doing stuff during the day on my weekends, so even when I go out, I usually bail by 3am or so. But I find when you go to a club to see a particular headlining DJ. The timeslot for headlining DJ is something like 3am to 5am.

Why can't the headliner go on @ 1am? That way I'm drunk and primed for dancing and the club is still rammed and stuff.

If I were in charge of the timeslots... I'd do it this way:

9pm to 11pm - Local New Talent
11pm til 1am - Resident or Opening DJ
1am to 3am - Headliner
3am to close - 2nd Headliner

But it seems that when I go out to any particular club... it's:

9pm to 11pm - Local New Talent
11pm til 1am - Resident or Opening DJ
1am to 3am - 2nd Headliner
3am to close - Headliner

Or something similar.
I dont want to close out the club. I just want to go and have a good night, then go home when I'm tired, without the need of party favours and such. If the headliner is a good DJ, he'll prolly get me pumped for the next DJ that would come after him. But what do I know.

Am I the only one? Maybe I am old. I'm not opposed to doing the all night long thing, and I'll for sure be doing it for Roger Sanchez at the end of the month, but when I try to go out occasionally, and am not feeling like committing my night and the next day, it'd be nice to not waste my entry price on not hearing the headliner cuz I'm a tired and lazy bastard that can only dance till 3:15am on a friday night after a week of dredging hard at work all week at the office.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
It depends on the type of club (do they open later? Boa used to do this and I rememebr seeing Victor Calderone's headline set at 4am at Stereo). Personally I prefer a 1am-3am headliner.

I'm really hoping that Pendulum goes on earlier rather than later at Footwork this week, because I have to work the next day :/

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
Make It Funky- we have been playing with the timeslots to find the best possible combination. Its hard to get people out early but we encourage it with door prizes for those that come in first. Our parties tend to end around 3:45 or so and the formula we have found that works for us anyway is something like(but does vary)

9-11 local talent
11-1230 headlining local talent(cause Toronto is full of world class djs)
1230-2 headliner
2-4 headliner 2

now this all depends on the show we used to have someone local close out the show but found that the crowd would die out faster in the later hours. Our crowds tend to come out and drink their faces off so we dont get as much of the hardcores (though they are welcome too!) The formula seems to work and gives maximum size audiences to the headliners.

Rave Goo

The bar has the ability to make a profit until 2am and you came to see the headliner...

I think it might have something to do with them squeezing every last bit of change they can get out of your pocket before you leave for the night?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Galactic Phantom said:
The Watcher

gsnuff

That's crazy!!
Evidently some people have a lot more to say then others.

,g

marcinm

TRIBE Member
personally i prefer if the headliner comes on at 12 or 12:30.. at that point i have tons of energy and am ready to dance for a bit. If the headliner comes on at 4 (ferry corsten, armin van buuren last time i went to see them at guv) or 5 (blank and jones) then i just want to go home.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
marcinm said:
personally i prefer if the headliner comes on at 12 or 12:30.. at that point i have tons of energy and am ready to dance for a bit. If the headliner comes on at 4 (ferry corsten, armin van buuren last time i went to see them at guv) or 5 (blank and jones) then i just want to go home.
That would almost never happen. Too many people opt to show up around midnight and would be pretty pissed if they missed the headliner. It's also nice to have some time to walk around for a bit before the headliner comes on.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Skipper

TRIBE Member
People show up at midnight because they know the headliner is coming on late. If headliners started coming on earlier, they'd show up earlier.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Skipper said:
People show up at midnight because they know the headliner is coming on late. If headliners started coming on earlier, they'd show up earlier.
Well yeah, as long as they post the timeslots first. If I showed up at the Orange Room on Friday and found out that Stanton Warriors played at 10;00, I would start ripping the Guv complex apart with my bare hands.

groovespinna

TRIBE Member
clubbing time is Friday at 11 till Sunday (or monday) whenever your ass leaves "Venue." anything within those times is fair game.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Yet another difference between Toronto and Montreal parties...

Personally, I prefer the "feature" headlining DJ to on by 2am, but if there's "co-headlinders", or even several, then that's when it gets tough...

But lately I've been finding that it doesn't really matter, as I have no concept of what time it is as I'm just simply dancin' my ass off.

El Diablo

Rave Goo said:
The bar has the ability to make a profit until 2am and you came to see the headliner...

I think it might have something to do with them squeezing every last bit of change they can get out of your pocket before you leave for the night?
'After hours' clubs make just as much profit on water sales as they do a booze, so holding you there as long as possible make the most sense to them.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
El Diablo said:
'After hours' clubs make just as much profit on water sales as they do a booze, so holding you there as long as possible make the most sense to them.
How can that be?
1. you can refill water in the washroom
2. how does one beverage possibly equal the sales of multiple, more expensive beverages?
3. shooters

I can't see how you'd think water sales comes anywhere near liquor sales.