• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

HDTV buying help

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Hmmmm... We've been out of the house during the reno since picking up the shield and been relegated to using just TV for sound... So I can't answer that either.

Just buy one already! You won't regret it. :)

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
Well my htpc is directly connected to my tv, so shield has little appeal.

Under powered from GPU perspective. Not just key for games, with mpc-hc/madvr and some enhancements on I can tax the GPU just watching shit! Got a beefy 980 in my htpc for the moment.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
so I have the wife on board with the purchase of an OLED TV 55 inch and the sonos playbar and sub.

looks like I might have to offload my home theatre system but worry about not being able to use my record player or hook up to DJ for kicks

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Welcome to being a Husband/Dad/Adult Office Worker.
that's been the past 18 years of my life, I usually wait it out as long as I can but the TV is now 6 years old so it's time unless I want to wait for it to die. I've been very happy with it (thanks for the referral Vise).
What shocked me is she's on board with the Sonos as i used to have a bit of a speaker fetish

Vise

TRIBE Member
so I have the wife on board with the purchase of an OLED TV 55 inch and the sonos playbar and sub.

looks like I might have to offload my home theatre system but worry about not being able to use my record player or hook up to DJ for kicks
Sweet, what TV are you looking at? The current prices on the LGs are pretty compelling especially for 55"... my guy has really solid pricing on the 55" Sony but it is still almost a thousand more then the LGs. After getting my Sony I've been debating an upgrade to my bedroom TV to a 55" OLED so been price shopping. First world problems clearly.

That said (and take it as you will) my TV guy that I've used/trusted for almost 10 years has stopped carrying LG OLED and has issued a strong warning to stay away from their sets. He said he has had a slew of people bring them back and/or complain due to burn-in or other quality issues. Suggest you look into it online or have a chat with him, assuming I referred you at some point in the past it is the same guy/store.

As for the record player/DJ setup I feel you... when we moved into our current place luckily there was a spare closet in our family room that I'm using for my 1200s. Couple ikea shelves to hold records + powered monitors on stands = instant party. Once in a blue moon of course. :)

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I am looking at the LG BéC7 55 inch
nothing crazy but an upgrade from my Panny Plasma ST55 - which still looks excellent today

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
looking to upgrade from my LG 38 inch 720 tv for my mancave.
doesn't have to be smart. anyone got something 50inch'ish ?

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Well, it looks like my 11 year old panny plasma is getting ready to retire.

Looking for recommendations on a 40 to 50 inch to replace it. On a tight budget so definitely hoping to keep it under $1000.

I have a 55 inch LG plasma in the basement that I will move upstairs for now but hoping to find a decent, reasonably priced replacement for the Panasonic.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
So the boss approved the purchase of a new TV, I've been patiently waiting for sub $2k prices and it appears NOW is the time to make my move as places are selling the LG B/C7 55inch for $1999. I've even heard of a place that is selling for $1750.

thoughts?

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Was in to your guy on Monday for something else (insurance related), said you'd gotten an OLED recently; So... How is it?

Sweet, what TV are you looking at? The current prices on the LGs are pretty compelling especially for 55"... my guy has really solid pricing on the 55" Sony but it is still almost a thousand more then the LGs. After getting my Sony I've been debating an upgrade to my bedroom TV to a 55" OLED so been price shopping. First world problems clearly.

That said (and take it as you will) my TV guy that I've used/trusted for almost 10 years has stopped carrying LG OLED and has issued a strong warning to stay away from their sets. He said he has had a slew of people bring them back and/or complain due to burn-in or other quality issues. Suggest you look into it online or have a chat with him, assuming I referred you at some point in the past it is the same guy/store.

As for the record player/DJ setup I feel you... when we moved into our current place luckily there was a spare closet in our family room that I'm using for my 1200s. Couple ikea shelves to hold records + powered monitors on stands = instant party. Once in a blue moon of course. :)

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
So I have been out of touch for a long time in the TV area have been doing some research looking for the best deal I can get on a 55” 4K TV that is best for gaming, looking at lowest input lag possible without sacrificing too much else if I can and I keep coming across two models with best input lag ratings

LG 55sj8500 and the Samsung mu8000

Input lag on LG is 15ms and on Samsung it is 20ms if I get the right numbers on da inter webs search so obviously LG wins there but I could live with 5 more ms if the Samsung is a better TV.

I’m hoping to catch one of these with a good deal on Black Friday or Boxing Day if anyone knows anything on these or maybe another along those lines that is better than what I’ve found let me know

I have a smaller gaming monitor with low input lag but sometimes you just want to play on the big boy screen lol

Also thoughts on active 4K hdr and Dolby vison vs just a 4K hdr Professor ?

Vise

TRIBE Member
Was in to your guy on Monday for something else (insurance related), said you'd gotten an OLED recently; So... How is it?
I got the 65" Sony A1E a few months back and I absolutely love it... picture is stunning and watching Leafs + Raptors games in 4K is a treat. Android TV is working very well to, having Plex + Kodi built in makes streaming so much easier. Highly recommended, as much as I loved the Panasonic plasma this is a whole other level.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Do you do any gaming on it?

Curious about image retention?

I'm still doing zooms and shit when I'm on news channels. Election 2016 put a weird hybrid CNN/MSNBC logo in the lower right for a few months on my ZT60. Of course little tricks help that shit go away.

You having to do periodic maintenance (the built in stuff from TV menu or Disney WOW disc fixer) for the OLED?

If you watch a lot of one news channel for a few weeks or one kind of sport or one kind of game do you notice any of the stuff that would happen to plasma?

Just see this comment in much discussion in articles on OLED was curious how it compared since you and I both had coexisted quite fine with this type of thing happening in plasma.

Never really bothers me given I can take steps to manage it!

Vise

TRIBE Member
No gaming yet, I have an Xbox One but it never gets used... that said no issues with image retention. Apparently the LG's have exhibited some IR issues (or worse) but nothing has been noted on the A1E, panels are the same but likely down to Sony's image processing engine. According to my TV guy he has had an A1E in store for a while running the Sony 4K OLED demo loop and no issues even though there is a white logo in the top right. That demo video of glass blowing is ridiculous on my set btw. :)

I've been pretty much set it and forget it... apparently the TV runs a compensation cycle to clean things up after 1000 hours or so but it happens in the background/at night while the set is 'off'. Nice to see the Panny's are out at a relatively reasonable price point but for now I'd still take the A1E as I'm a fan of Android TV, particularly after the latest updates have sped things up a bit.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Gonna be the panny for me just due to input lag, otherwise if I didn't care about gaming I'd be all over the Sony.

Also have the htpc basically using the tv as a monitor, so I have "PCTV" and a beefy GPU running the kind of shit people have to buy oppo players and geeky video gear to get without a computer

praktik

TRIBE Member
Wow - LG is looking nicer!

LG OLED65B7V Review: Firmware Update Improves Picture Quality
By Vincent Teoh 26 November 2017 Verdict: Best in Class Typical price: £2499

Even though many other brands have entered the OLED TV market this year, South Korean manufacturer LG Electronics has successfully defended its dominant position, if sales figures are anything to go by. The LG B7 and C7 series of OLED televisions have consistently outsold other OLEDs since launch, and the recent Black Friday price slash to £1500 for the 55-inch versions would have fuelled more purchases.

But the popularity of LG’s 2017 OLED TVs is not trading on value-on-money alone; in many ways they are genuinely the best TV you can buy today even in the face of strong competition from video processing powerhouses such as Loewe, Panasonic, Philips and Sony, especially after the latest firmware update which improved picture quality in several aspects on the 65-inch LG OLED65B7V we’re reviewing today.

Fortuitously, we had two LG 65B7 in our test room at the same time, so we installed the new firmware 04.70.10 (the latest in the UK at this time of writing in November 2017) on one set, and did a side-by-side comparison against the other set which carried an older firmware, version 03.60.09. From the many tests we conducted, we saw three key improvements:

Better Above-Black Handling
LG has optimised near-black gamma to reduce the appearance of coarse gradation just above black, resulting in a cleaner, less noisy presentation in heavily compressed dark scenes.

The fade-to-black sequence in the opening of The Revenant also exhibited significantly less posterisation than what we observed when we first reviewed the 55B7 back in May.

Smoother 24fps Motion
Whereas previously some owners of LG’s 2017 OLEDs had to resort to enabling [TruMotion] (with all the side effects it entails) to reduce judder in 24p movies, no such measure was necessary after the latest firmware upgrade. This was most evident in the “Mountains” episode in Planet Earth II where a fox was chasing a baby mountain goat… the firmware-updated LG OLED65B7 looked slightly smoother and sharper than the non-firmware-updated one (on both sets [TruMotion] was disabled).

No More 50Hz Deinterlacing Artefacts
LG has responded to our initial report of intermittent tearing artefacts on 50Hz interlaced broadcast when we reviewed the LG OLED55B7V and OLED55C7V earlier in the year. We saw no such artefacts in many football matches we watched on the 65in B7 that’s loaded with the latest firmware, so well done to LG for fixing this issue.

Other features brought about by firmware 04.70.10 on the Korean company’s 2017 OLEDs include a Technicolor Expert mode, the addition of a “Copy to All Inputs” function for the onboard colour management system (CMS), as well as Dolby Atmos decoding over HDMI.

Just a quick word on the [Technicolor Expert] picture preset… originally we thought this merely mirrored the ISF Expert presets since it derives its greyscale and colours from the same service menu settings. However, after extensive viewing and additional testing, we found that it seemed to employ some undefeatable edge enhancement visible on a luma zone plate pattern.

Calibration
Our LG OLED65B7V review sample calibrated very well, allowing us to achieve near-reference greyscale and colours. Equipment used included a Klein K10-A meter profiled to a JETI 1511 spectroradiometer, a Murideo Six-G signal generator, and Portrait Display’s CalMAN software.

Greyscale

Pre-calibration [ISF Expert] RGB tracking and delta errors (dEs)

RGB tracking and dEs after 2p & 20p [White Balance] calibration in [ISF Expert] mode
Gamma

Pre-calibration gamma tracking (2.43) Post-calibration gamma tracking (2.4)
Colour

Post-cal colour saturation tracking against Rec.709 standard

Post-calibration colour errors (<3 not appreciable to the eye)

Post-calibration Colour Checker SG test

Post-calibration Colour Checker SG errors (<3 not appreciable to the eye)
Benchmark Test Results
Dead pixels None
Screen uniformity No vignetting or brightening; near-black thin streaks
Overscanning on HDMI 0% with [Just Scan] enabled
Blacker than black Passed
Calibrated black level (black screen) 0 cd/m2
Calibrated black level (4×4 ANSI) 0 cd/m2
Black level retention More stable than 2016 LG OLEDs
Primary chromaticity Very good
Scaling Excellent
Video-mode deinterlacing Effective jaggies suppression
Film-mode deinterlacing Passed 3:2 & 2:2 cadence tests in SD & HD
Viewing angle (cone) 166°
Motion resolution 650 with [TruMotion] engaged; 300 otherwise
Digital noise reduction Optional; effective when engaged
Sharpness Defeatable edge enhancement
Luma/Chroma bandwidth (2D Blu-ray) Full Luma; Chroma horizontally blurred
1080p/24 capability No judder
2160p/24 capability No judder
Measured panel refresh rate 120Hz
Measured peak brightness 710 cd/m2 10% window; 156 cd/m2 full-field
Measured DCI-P3 coverage 99%
Leo Bodnar input lag tester 21ms in [Game], [PC] & [HDR Game] modes
Full 4:4:4 reproduction (PC) Yes for 1920×1080 & 3840×2160@60Hz in [PC] mode
Video Review

Verdict
No TV is perfect, and every OLED television in 2017 has its own strengths and weaknesses, but as an overall package, the LG B7 does many things better than most. Areas where the OLED65B7 excels are:

• Less aggressive ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter) which helps HDR and daytime viewing;
  • Dynamic tone-mapping technology (marketed as Active HDR by LG) that generates its own metadata on the fly by analysing the incoming HDR video signal;
  • Dolby Vision support out of the box;
  • Very low input lag of 21ms in both SDR and HDR [Game] modes; and
  • Anti-reflective screen filter that minimises magenta tint when hit by sunlight.
That it’s the most affordable 2017 OLED TV in its size class is merely icing on the cake.

Note: If you’re considering buying this television, please support this website by making your purchase from our sponsor Crampton & Moore – call 0113 2446607 and ask for store manager David Conner (who also organises our annual TV shootout event), quoting HDTVTest for advice, best price and first-rate service.

ScottBentley

TRIBE Member
I've found that Toshiba's have really good picture quality and don't cost as much as some of the other major brands. Got me a 50" 4K Toshiba with built in Chromecast for 600 total on boxing day and I'm very pleased.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
wondering what sites are best for finding the best calibration settings for new tv setups? I keep seeing rtings popping up but I have no clue if it is a good source for it

I ended up going with the LG SJ 8500 was the best of what I was looking for gaming wise picture second and 1299 from 2899 is sweet but I have no clue why it is so expensive outside a sale price

praktik

TRIBE Member
wondering what sites are best for finding the best calibration settings for new tv setups? I keep seeing rtings popping up but I have no clue if it is a good source for it

I ended up going with the LG SJ 8500 was the best of what I was looking for gaming wise picture second and 1299 from 2899 is sweet but I have no clue why it is so expensive outside a sale price
If there is a CNET review for your set the settings there may be better than out of the box.

But nothing will compare to what can be achieved with equipment to measure light and colour and dialling everything in custom to your panel.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
Nice thanks for the advise was able to find some decent settings now I need to decide which AV receiver to upgrade to because the one I have is 5 years old and does not do 4K/HDR pass through and to figure out how much input lag is added if any by using one

any truth to TV's with multiple HDMI inputs only some of them are directly connected to the motherboard and some use extensions which could add lag?

also read setting the input as a PC input is a good idea too, I am using gaming for my systems not sure if I should change it.