1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

HDTV buying help

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Rajio, Sep 9, 2007.

1. kennyboy

kennyboy TRIBE Member

Going to stick with my pioneer plasma pdp's until they crap out. Still a solid picture for my needs.

2. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

i have a weird thing happening in one band, especially in magenta and red on a ZT60

Calibrator was over and agreed it was weird.

Everything else is so awesome though its tempting to ride it out - but extended warranty is like done in june so Im thinking I will explore replacement in a few months!

No rush...

3. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

still rocking my 42' LG plasma here. i want a 60 inch. Want.

4. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

waiting for my 40 inch sony bravia to crap out. Just die all ready.

5. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Wow a lot of us are due for new TVs!

I am going to see what kind of replacement my warranty will get me - if it can be a close to top-end Sony or Samsung LCD I would have no problem dropping to an LCD panel from a plasma IF:
    - great gaming lag
    - decent or great HDR performance
    - good screen uniformity and great black level for an LED (hoping FALD if possible)

I understand the best LCDs are a few notches up from where they were when I got my ZT60. Black levels, motion clarity - both are improved and should be less of a delta to my current panel than the best LCDs were 4 years ago.

In a bright room increased brightness is an advantage I will probably appreciate.

All depends on what kind of treatment a guy with a ZT60 gets one extended warranty - is OLED even an option? I would be more confident in the long term performance of an LCD panel, that's for sure, thought the OLED would probably be pretty amazing!

Just not so much aging of these panels out there yet right? Whats going to happen to them??

6. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Embrace the idea the tv will get you 4 years

7. Lojack

Lojack TRIBE Member

I gave a Panasonic plasma to a friend a few years ago. It is now 10 years old and going strong. Honestly, short of a complete failure, the only two things that would cause me to upgrade would be a radical new technology (4K is nice but not in wide enough use) or there was an annoying technical issue (eg. black levels or brightness degrading badly).

FWIW, I did pick up a 40" 4K for the bedroom. $900, an LG. I gotta say 4K does look good (well, *Netflix* 4K, so there are limits) but if you're going to buy a sub-$1500 TV, just remember, you're the product. The EUA which one is forced to agree to basically requires you to give up all your rights. The TV communicates everything you watch, when and how, to LG and their partners. Smart TV's are scary that way. I wouldn't get one with a camera or microphone either. Apparently the more expensive ones are priced to factor in the loss of revenue from the lack of tracking technologies, but if you want that privacy, make sure to research before you buy.

8. Bernnie Federko

Are you aware of CSIS and the NSA and what they already do with our Rights?

It's a TV with a computer inside, connected to the internet.

It's already Over whether or not you use a cable box, console, memory stick, or Antenna.

The Medium is the Message

9. Lojack

Lojack TRIBE Member

Jesus Bernie, relax.

My point is that if you're not paying (or not paying much) you are the product. Not everyone realizes that.

Wow.

10. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

I'm waiting for my Panasonic VT25 (54" plasma) to crap out or even better yet, for the old 50" Sony RP HDTV in the kids' play area to crap out since that thing is a beast. I want a nice 65" to adorn my wall these days. :)

Lobo

11. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

What do you mean we are the product? Are you suggesting that the lower end tvs relay information back to the manufacture? And they can sell our habits to whomever?

I never thought of that.

12. Lojack

Lojack TRIBE Member

Greg, that's it exactly. Google is free isn't it? Nope, you're the product. Same concept.

13. Bernnie Federko

My point is people are the product whether they're paying or not.

14. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ya we're the product but you're one little dot in the millions coursing through analytic engines at any one moment. Who cares about one tiny beast in the overflowing herd??

Your independent value to these engines is miniscule, they won't notice you're gone. Your value as a product is only there if its in the herd.

15. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

TV tech just finishing up - twisted a dial and made my black speckles go away!

YAY!!

Only issue is extended warranty is til June and I am advised I am at max range of this potential voltage adjustment. If the problem creeps back in I have no headroom with which to keep it at bay.

I still think given how great this TV is it would be worth letting warranty expire and enduring whatever comes my way in the years to come!

16. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

17. Lojack

Lojack TRIBE Member

I'm looking to pick up a good but not expensive HDTV for a relative. 50" or smaller. I want to keep it under $700. Doesn't need to be a "SmartTV". Any recommendations?

18. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

In this range Vizio is typically among the best for price/performance ratio

19. Lojack

Lojack TRIBE Member

Thanks, was thinking along those lines after some research.

20. Bernnie Federko

I bought one of the better Vizio's a tad over a year ago from Costco and like it. Was about 1200 bucks at the time. 55 inches. Might even be mentioned in the thread. Very Good product for the price.

21. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Boo... After being super happy to have my ZT60 restored with one setting change, noticed a weird smudge or something on the extreme right side of the tv, when I got closer to clean it could see that it was actually a cracking of some laminate layer underneath the glass!

This shit will only spread. Very sad.

Tech is almost here, we will see how extended warranty replacement goes.

Would hope I could get a path to at least an LG E6 or some way of parlaying this into a Sony Z9D, but I doubt I will be so fortunate.

22. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Replacement process initiated, crossing fingers. And hoping they can provide options to get me where I want to be if replacement cost and available sets aren't to my liking, maybe I can sweeten the pot a bit??

23. Lojack

Lojack TRIBE Member

Holy hell, pricing for the Z9D's from the Sony Canada site:

164 cm (65")
    XBR-65Z9D
    $7,999.992

189 cm (75”)
    XBR-75Z9D
    $11,999.992

253 cm (100")
    XBR-100Z9D
    $79,999.992

Good luck on the 100" :)

24. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ya its crazy. But it's between saving up a bit and padding my credit to get to the 65“ or settling for the xbr940d which won't be that bad...

He is adamant to stay away from LG OLED. Samsungs all have a deficit in a key area for me. The Sony's are the only ones I'm interested in.

Looks like it's going back to original POS and buddy is flexible. I might hold onto the credit and see what Samsung and panasonic can do with their models this year.

25. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

This is what I have to live with:

[​IMG]

Only question is how far it spreads. From the couch it looks like a little smudge.

Can live with it a few months at least for sure.