• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

HDTV buying help

Phat Trick

TRIBE Promoter
I have a question about these clouding and banding problems.
So if you have to go into the service menu grey/blue screen to see the clouding or banding, and you don't notice it watching movies or tv, is it really an issue?
Some of the banding I've seen is pretty hard to see and people are taking the TV's back to the stores in a hissy fit. Are there brands of lcd's that are perfect?

Last edited:

videotronic

TRIBE Member
put on a star wars movie or chronicles of riddick or something like that...if you dont notice it in a space scene you probably wont notice it ever...

that being said, if i spent $4000 on something id want it to be *perfect*..i have no tolerance for quality control issues like this...these tvs probably cost sony about $60 to make...either fix your production line or eat the cost on the defective ones...

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
I don't think I notice it in SOME movies but if I’m scrolling through my ps3 menu icons that go through it are noticeably affected.

I notice it more watching tv or especially non HD channels like watching star trek tng on space channel you can totally tell it's there.

I had the clouds when I first got the set but they wouldnt so up through the picture, until recently.

(I used to have weird burn ins from the expressvu menu as well but if I went to a hd channel then back it would clear the ghosted image. That fixed itself a long time ago.)

I'm mostly interested in finding out who to complain to. The store imho will do nothing because I got it on most likely a price error. I also want to avoide moving it to sony since it's such a pain in the ass to move. Would sony send someone out to check it at my home?

Last edited:

Vise

TRIBE Member
Hi i'm God said:
I'm mostly interested in finding out who to complain to. The store imho will do nothing because I got it on most likely a price error. I also want to avoide moving it to sony since it's such a pain in the ass to move. Would sony send someone out to check it at my home?
Sony should definitely have on site service for a TV of that size, contact their support line and get them to send someone out asap.

The store definitely won't be of any help, unless you purchase from BB/FS (and take it up the rear on price) returning to the store is usually not an option.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Vise said:
Sony should definitely have on site service for a TV of that size, contact their support line and get them to send someone out asap.

The store definitely won't be of any help, unless you purchase from BB/FS (and take it up the rear on price) returning to the store is usually not an option.
Perfect thats what I wanted to know.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

videotronic

TRIBE Member
see that doesnt make sense...FS and BB match anyones price...get them to match it and take advantage of their awesome return policy

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
i ended up getting a sharp aquos 32" today and am very happy with it. $960 total after tax and all. got crazy disounts on it.

http://www.sharp.ca/products/index.asp?cat=30&id=670

(i didint go with that other deal because my friend backed out due to money shortage and i didn't want to get involved in business with my friend's friend if that friend of mine wasnt g'oing to too, seemed particualrly dodgy then.)

Last edited:

Vise

TRIBE Member
videotronic said:
see that doesnt make sense...FS and BB match anyones price...get them to match it and take advantage of their awesome return policy
The thing is that (in my experience) BB/FS only price match on advertised prices... so if you haggle out a great deal from XYZ Electronics they won't do shit to match. In the end you'll generally get a better price deal from someone other than BB/FS without the ability to return if you have an issue... or pay more and deal with the morons at BB/FS (with the option to return if you have issues). Pick your poison.

Phat Trick

TRIBE Promoter
So I picked up my first LCD TV on the weekend. I was suppose to get the Sharp LC 42D72U, but instead I got the Sony 40XBR4. I got it delivered and set it up with the PS3. I wait until it gets dark and pop in the TMNT on blue ray. There are some bright spots on the edges and brighter spots in the corners. I panic, but think it may just be in the menu screen and let the TV play the movie. The movie plays amazing and the picture is phenomenal. But I still notice, ever so slightly, a little bright spot on the top left corner of the screen. its not bad, but I can see it. Should I call to complain, or is it just the obsessive compulsive side of me that wants it to be perfect?

Vise

TRIBE Member
Seeing what Sony charges for their LCD TVs it should be perfect IMO... sounds like a hotspot, you might want to call Sony and see what they have to say.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Phat Trick said:
So I picked up my first LCD TV on the weekend. I was suppose to get the Sharp LC 42D72U, but instead I got the Sony 40XBR4. I got it delivered and set it up with the PS3. I wait until it gets dark and pop in the TMNT on blue ray. There are some bright spots on the edges and brighter spots in the corners. I panic, but think it may just be in the menu screen and let the TV play the movie. The movie plays amazing and the picture is phenomenal. But I still notice, ever so slightly, a little bright spot on the top left corner of the screen. its not bad, but I can see it. Should I call to complain, or is it just the obsessive compulsive side of me that wants it to be perfect?
Same for me.. see above. I would love a new xbr4/5 my xbr3 has the same issues.

Genesius

TRIBE Member
I had the XBR2 and I noticed clouding only on blank (non-picture) scenes.

At first it bothered me, but during any content viewing it was not noticeable.
I quickly got over it.

Now that my XBR2 has been destroyed I'm torn. Pioneer Elite 950hd, 1150hd, 4280, 5080. Or XBR4 40", 46". Or Samsung 4665F, 4671.

I'm all over the map! I think the Pioneer Elite is what I really want, but can't really afford. The 5080 is a possbility because you get a great picture and good size for an o.k. price.

The XBR4s are sentimental and immediately visually satisfying. I liked my XBR2, and the clouding issue is not really a problem for me. I know I can get the 40" for $2400, which is a decent price.

The sammy 4665 seems like a good deal, has a similar quality picture, but reports of HDMI issues and some motion problems is sort of scaring me away.
While the 4671 is around the same price of the XBR4 46" and also seems to have similar motion problems to the 65.

Those are all wants. But after seeing my old tv go down and the money along with it, it's difficult for me to justify spending that kind of coin again... arrgh.

Maybe I should just get a WestingHouse 42" monitor and be done with it.

Screw it, I'm calling rogers and cancelling my cable altogether.

yeah right

Vise

TRIBE Member
Some nice choices there... any of those will be nice assuming you want to spend the loot.

Also, the Samsung 65F series had HDMI issues early on but they have been resolved with the latest firmware/mainboard... plus I didn't notice any motion issues on my dad's 5265F on HD cable, HD sat, or Blu-ray. Mind you I spent more time setting it up then watching so its possible they could be there. Great unit price/performance wise IMO.

Phat Trick

TRIBE Promoter
Genesius said:
The XBR4s are sentimental and immediately visually satisfying. I liked my XBR2, and the clouding issue is not really a problem for me. I know I can get the 40" for $2400, which is a decent price.
I got XBR4 from Best Buy for just under that price. The only drawback was that I had to buy their 4 year extended warranty. Personally, I think its worth the 4 years of extra insurance and I probably would have bought the extended warranty anyways.

I've sent an email to Best Buy's head office about the bright spots. I'm gong to give it a week. If I can start to see it more often, then I'll get them to haul it back and bring me a new one.

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
i think i'll get the pio PDP-4280HD (50"+ will have to wait till i have my gaming basement of solitude) thanks in part to videotronic's posts here...and on another forum that came up in my googlings. i don't think i've read 1 bad review of it yet, which is good.

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
haha surely i will but...

1)we have a 20" hitachi piece of shite right now so anything, even a magnetbox or sorny would be a major improvement
2)we don't have the room, even a 42" is pushing it
3)my gf isn't impressed with technology unless it's dealing with telescopes, bullshit lines won't convince her ;)

halo five

TRIBE Member
Vise said:
32" is nice for a bedroom but for your primary TV you need something bigger (50" or bigger). IMO of course.
Isn't a 50" a bit oppressive? Unless you have a gigantic living room, I mean. My TV is half that size and I've never thought I needed one double the size of it.

Even 8' away from it, I'd feel like the front row of a movie theatre.

But anyway, HD!

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
halo five said:
Isn't a 50" a bit oppressive? Unless you have a gigantic living room, I mean. My TV is half that size and I've never thought I needed one double the size of it.

But anyway, HD!
for clarity, is your tv 25" or are you measuring in terms of screen-area?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Vise

TRIBE Member
halo five said:

But anyway, HD!
Like I said, IMO. I've had a big screen TV (50" or bigger) in various forms for the past 10 years or so, for me anything smaller than a 50" as a primary TV seems a bit on the small side. Depends on the room of course, but my setup has always had about 7-9' from TV to couch so the bigger the better. Currently have a 61" and sit about 8' away... and it kicks ass for movies/gaming/HD.

octo

TRIBE Member
halo five said:

But anyway, HD!
you can sit much closer to digital displays than direct view CRTs.

the optimal viewing distance for a 50" 1080p display is 6'-8'

you can use this calculator to determine optimal viewing distance as recomendd by THX or SMPTE (society of motion picture something something)

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

at the bottom it gives you a maximum viewing distance based on visual acuity. 6.5' for 50" 1080p display, 17.4' for a conventional 480 display.

if your 25" tv is a conventional 480p CRT 8' is just about right. but that's because if you got much closer you'd start to see all sorts of flaws in the picture quality

videotronic

TRIBE Member
keep in mind that different people have different tolerances for seeing pixels...a 768p display that might look fine to jim at 7 feet might look horribly pixellated to me...

that being said, i have a 768p plasma and i sit 8 feet away from it and its dope...i dont notice the pixels at all. if i had a smaller room and sat 6 feet away im sure id need 1080p, as i have a fairly discerning eye, but for now im fine

-Mercury-

TRIBE Member
so after a few months of looking around and debating whether i should finally jump into the HD world, this weekend i finally went out and picked up a tv.

i was originally gonna go with something smaller (and less expensive), but after i got a good look at the 50" pdp-5010fd plasma from Pioneer, i decided i could survive on mac & cheese and ramen noodles for the next few months in order to make this happen. ;)

and let me tell you i am really, really happy with it.
i decided christmas was coming a lil' early to me this year and also picked up a PS3 in order to fulfill both my gaming needs and get that blu-ray player.
i'm living in the states right now, so that probably saved me over a grand easy on this purchase which is part of how i was able to talk myself into doing this.

:D

i also picked up a decent antenna and have been surprised with the quality of HD programmng you can get from over-the-air broadcasts.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders