• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

HDR Photography?

KiFe

TRIBE Member
This hdr stuff is pretty cool. Thought i'd give 'er a whirl, see what i could come up with.

Haven't found some captivating subject matter just yet... but still technically entertaining.

aether

TRIBE Member
I've tried it out a couple times, it's definitely interesting. The halo's are annoying. And it can definitely be overused, but sometimes it can be really nice.

I'm a n00b, but I like this one:

except for the darned lens flare. much thanks to crazygonad for showing me how to use photomatix.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
It'd be great if they could make a camera that could do all the different shots one after another automatically.

Then maybe using human subjects would be easier.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

gasper

TRIBE Member
The Watcher said:
It'd be great if they could make a camera that could do all the different shots one after another automatically.

Then maybe using human subjects would be easier.
Many dSLRs do this. Autobracketing in burst.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
gasper said:
Many dSLRs do this. Autobracketing in burst.

I need to look into this.. my rebel xt must be capable.

regardless... crazy gonad.. your work is phenominal!

Are you shooting two over and two under and one properly exposed? or are you shooting even more?

Do more exposures yeild a better end result? Can we share tips to acheive the best effects? I'm assuming high contrast subjects are most ideal for this type of things... any other tips you pros can offer?

aether

TRIBE Member
KiFe said:
I need to look into this.. my rebel xt must be capable.
Menu-> 2nd tab (camera 2)
select AEB, adjust it up and down to change the auto-bracketing, hit 'set'

now if you go to take a photo, you should see 3 different exposure levels on your lcd. you can still adjust the centre exposure by holding the AV button and moving the wheel back and forth. change it to multi-shot mode. hold down the shutter release, and you'll hear it take 3 different photos.

crazygonad put up a tutorial for his waterloo falls shot here: http://www.thinsite.net/tutorials/?p=6

crazygonad

TRIBE Member
The Watcher said:
not sure about other cameras but on the XT if you set the AEB and then put the camera on countdown timer it'll fire the 3 shots for you by itself instead of making you press the shutter for each exposure. i use this when i'm too lazy to pull the remote out of the bag.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

crazygonad

TRIBE Member
KiFe said:
Are you shooting two over and two under and one properly exposed? or are you shooting even more?
check the tutorial that aether linked to. it outlines my typical hdr workflow, but to answer your question: i typically shoot 2 stops under, 2 stops over, and one "properly" exposed. 3 exposures is typically enough.

KiFe said:
Do more exposures yeild a better end result? Can we share tips to acheive the best effects? I'm assuming high contrast subjects are most ideal for this type of things... any other tips you pros can offer?
i've tested using more than 3 exposures to see if there was any noticeable difference and i didn't notice anything worth the extra effort. if our eyes have a 10 stop range and typical sensors offer a 5 stop range, by using a bracket 2 over / 2 under then you extend the range to around 9 stops which is pretty darned good. plus, based on how you process it you can make it look like there's even more range than there actually is.

the best tip for hdr i think is don't use it unless there actually is a high dynamic range of light in the scene. only use it if you're blowing out the highlights or killing the shadows in your shot. also, exposing a single raw file three times is not really HDR cause you're limited to the dynamic range of a single file which is a lot more narrow than a true HDR merge.

swenard

TRIBE Member
Do you need a DSLR for these types of shots? I have a DSLR I could borrow from my Mom but I would rather use my Canon SD700. Would I be able to use tehe SD700?

I am, by no means, a photographer but it would be really neat to bust out some really cool photos of my baby girl.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
crazygonad said:
check the tutorial that aether linked to. it outlines my typical hdr workflow, but to answer your question: i typically shoot 2 stops under, 2 stops over, and one "properly" exposed. 3 exposures is typically enough.

i've tested using more than 3 exposures to see if there was any noticeable difference and i didn't notice anything worth the extra effort. if our eyes have a 10 stop range and typical sensors offer a 5 stop range, by using a bracket 2 over / 2 under then you extend the range to around 9 stops which is pretty darned good. plus, based on how you process it you can make it look like there's even more range than there actually is.

the best tip for hdr i think is don't use it unless there actually is a high dynamic range of light in the scene. only use it if you're blowing out the highlights or killing the shadows in your shot. also, exposing a single raw file three times is not really HDR cause you're limited to the dynamic range of a single file which is a lot more narrow than a true HDR merge.

Very informative! Thanks!

I'll be sure to set up the auto braket when i shoot for hdr... sounds like the easyest workflow. and again.. thanks for the tutorial.

great work! Can't wait to get my own shots up to par.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

crazygonad

TRIBE Member
swenard said:
Do you need a DSLR for these types of shots? I have a DSLR I could borrow from my Mom but I would rather use my Canon SD700. Would I be able to use tehe SD700?
you can probably do this on the sd700 in manual mode, but you'll have to be careful when you adjust the exposure compensation to not agitate the camera on the tripod cause misaligning your shot makes merging difficult if not impossible.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Still playing with this stuff.

Subject matter suffers... since i'm too puppy exhausted to get out of the house.

anyhoo.. that tutorial helped me dial in the look i wanted...
Hope to have some more captivating subject matter sometime soon.

d.code

TRIBE Member
KiFe said:
Lookin' good! I think though you are missing the detail for the shadows over in the back ground building.

I can't wait to get my slr so I can start taking 360 panoramas for lighting in 3d.

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
that streetcar pic i thinks is from the street car on highway six south towards hamilton, from the guelph exit on the 401???????????????// looks like it??? its been there for years!!!!!!!!

gasper

TRIBE Member
djglobalkiller said:
that streetcar pic i thinks is from the street car on highway six south towards hamilton, from the guelph exit on the 401???????????????// looks like it??? its been there for years!!!!!!!!
Yup, that's it!