• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

HDMI cables

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
where's the best place in this city to grab some cheaper standard HDMI cables?? Just got a new TV at future shop and busted out laughing at their cable pricing because I know you can get them a lot cheaper....question is where!

thanks in advance :)

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
anywhere within a half mile of college and spadina. literally knock on any door and within 3 doors (at worst) you'll have what you want.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
anywhere within a half mile of college and spadina. literally knock on any door and within 3 doors (at worst) you'll have what you want.

what I had in mind. Actually I checked with Factory direct and they have ones for $8-12...and yeah, active surplus is my next choice...

thanks.

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
Go to Best Buy and buy anything that says "MONSTER" on it and make sure its got lots of stickers with a bunch of specs that you dont understand on the box.

lol. I keed.

Active Surplus.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Go to Best Buy and buy anything that says "MONSTER" on it and make sure its got lots of stickers with a bunch of specs that you dont understand on the box.

lol. I keed.

Active Surplus.
when grabbing the TV the salesman(aka trickster) tried to up sell some cables and I put him on the spot when I said I can get the same cables for a fraction of what best buy sells them for...he couldn't really find a good reason for me to buy them after I said that :D

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
It's fun to ask them how Monster Cables are actually better than other HDMI cables just to see what they say (protip: do this at Future Shop, because they're on commission there).

I've gotten crazy answers ranging from 'the cables are wider and upscale the picture' to 'the cables clean the signal from your PS3 to the TV'. LOLZ.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
sometimes with monoprice you can get dinged with duty, gst all that stuff...by the time all is said and done if you only need 1 hdmi cable its probably cheaper to just get it from factory direct. theyre 9.99 and you have it in your hands immediately

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
You only get hit with duty/customs if the cost of the items exceed a certain amount. I've never had a problem and have used them several times, upwards of $50 worth of stuff...which is a shitload!

Gugs

TRIBE Member
Factory direct is no doubt the cheapest but the cables are never in stock or sellout as soon as they are available, calling ahead of time never helps either so good luck

lobo

TRIBE Member
Funny enough, I've heard that Loblaws/Supercenter stores sell then for $10 or less sometimes. If you have one near you, maybe check them out too.

Lobo

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
How are you guys finding the cheap HDMI cables though?

I got an "$80" Monster Cable included when I bought my new TV and I haven't noticed any problems but when a co-worker bought a $25 HDMI from a local computer shop, he's complained time and again about something that looks like static on the screen.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
My five dollar cable from Active is working swimmingly - not a single problem whatsoever and it's been well over a year now.

Hell, even if they did fail - you'd have to go through sixteen of them before you hit the price of one Monster cable.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Mine looks great.

I think with a digital signal it is either there and perfect. Or not at all. Am I wrong?

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Mine looks great.

I think with a digital signal it is either there and perfect. Or not at all. Am I wrong?
You are correct. There is no 'better' with HDMI...Unless you're talking about degradation over a 200ft cable or something. I'm not even sure if it would be a factor then.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
The only thing that could go wrong with them is the physical wear and tear on the cable, which shouldn't be too much of an issue considering how heavy-duty even the chapo ones usually are. Plus it's not like you're going to be dragging them behind your car.

sumoJr

TRIBE Member
I got a Monster one when I got all my stuff from visions
they say its worth 130.
Ive bought about 4 from a PC store for 8 dollars a piece (6ft)
and Ive ran each one just to test what a cord that cost that much does
and to my eye and ears they look all the same

I read if its over a certain length you might lose signal but who does that?

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
grabbed a 3 ft. cable at Factory Direct for 9.99 and there were plenty of them left...I hooked everything up and tested it with the first big action sequence in Superman Returns and it looks great!