• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

HBO's The Wire

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Finale was good. But I had to sit through a season with that garbage where McNulty goes Rogue, and those bad guys at the newspaper being 2 dimensional. It was a tough slog.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Persephone

TRIBE Member
I cant say enough about this series, love it

me too! I've worked through 4 seasons this summer. The 4th season was the most difficult for me to watch; not because it was a slow/boring season, but the look at inner city children was heartbreaking.

praktik

TRIBE Member
nice to hear guys.

You made me feel the same way a fundie feels when a heathen tells them they found Jesus!

praktik

TRIBE Member
They did a great job on Seinfeld conversions to widescreen - losing some real estate may be offset by higher detail in what is left...

lobo

TRIBE Member
The wire in blu ray? How will this look when it was filmed entirely 4:3. I'll wait for reviews.

But was it actually filmed in 4:3 or did they present it on TV like that? The Seinfeld conversion turned out pretty good because when they filmed it, they also framed it so that if they ever went 16x9 it would still be ok without looking like they cut stuff off from the top and bottom. I'm hoping the same kind of thinking was done back then for this series. I've only ended up watching it in crappy xvids in the past.

Lobo

Zorro

TRIBE Member
And perhaps the final contrast to the rest of high-end episodic television, The Wire for each of its five seasons has been produced in good old fashioned 4 x 3 standard definition. DP Dave Insley recalled, "The reason the show has stayed 4x3 is because David Simon thinks that 4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie. The show's never been HD, even 4x3 HD and that (SD) is how it is on the DVDs. There is no 16x9 version anywhere." As a viewer with an HD set I will point out that like much of SD television that makes its way to HD channels, it appears that HBO utilizes state-of-the-art line doubling technology. It may still be standard definition, but line doubled it looks considerably better on a high definition set than it would on a standard definition set.

Insley explained, "When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion -- David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs -- and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4x3. The DPs pretty much defined the look to be what it is now. And it's been consistent for the past two seasons."
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/griffin_nick/hbo_the_wire.php

praktik

TRIBE Member
But was it actually filmed in 4:3 or did they present it on TV like that? The Seinfeld conversion turned out pretty good because when they filmed it, they also framed it so that if they ever went 16x9 it would still be ok without looking like they cut stuff off from the top and bottom. I'm hoping the same kind of thinking was done back then for this series. I've only ended up watching it in crappy xvids in the past.

Lobo

Was not aware of that! Seems like some accurate forethought in 1994 to think about future 16:9 AT ALL for a network sitcom

coleridge

TRIBE Member
When it gets released as a box set I'll be glad I didn't shell out for the DVD set.

I scanned the article so don't know if they mentioned it but it would be great to get an HD res. version of the original 4:3 framing along with the new 16:9.

praktik

TRIBE Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWY79JCfhjw

Very cool, but also depressing - you know Obama "gets it" on some level, to talk the way he does - yet so little can be done....

And he even belittled supporters who wanted to end prohibition and chided them to "prioritize", as if ending prohibition is all about privileged people wanting to "get high" in suburbia, rather than removing a boot off the neck of the poor and minorities and a key component of a Prison Industrial Complex bleeding America dry in resources and sowing a trail of broken families and human misery...