• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

HBO's The Wire

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
Does anyone watch this?

Its the best cop show on TV hands down, but you have to have TMN or HBO to watch it.

As hard as The Shield, Sopranos style character growth and lack of commercials and intelligent black criminals which is pretty much an exclusive to this show.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
I've watched it and liked it for awhile but something about the characters annoys me now. To me their gangsters are too generic and the cops are pretty boring too.

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
Don't forget the polish and greek (that aren't greek)

I bought Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD and loved EVERY minute of it.

Such well done TV.

It's like a 12 hour movie. Times 2

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
I realize the Intelligent black criminals comment could be taken a variety of waysbut I meant it was refreshing no to have the black criminals just there as clowns for the white criminals to fuck over as they are in Sopranos.

I don't agree completely about the characters though some are a little predicatable. The only thing I found disappointing was the second season was kind of boring and took too long to come to a head.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
I guess because I watch anything serialized as a complete DVD all in one sitting that it never became boring to me and it seemed the perfect set up for future confrontations.

But I can see how, after waiting a week for the next episode, how you'd want SOMETHING to happen.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Great show.. Season 1 was excellent, season 3 was near-shakespearean and truly a pleasure to watch. Almost no flaws, though my roommate got quite upset when it ceased to be the Stringer Bell show. I'm glad HBO has ordered a 4th season (though don't expect to see that until 2006).

A little nugget: Apparently some NYC detectives were tracking a sophisticated drug network in the city, and every Monday the wiretaps would record the dealers talking about what they saw on The Wire the previous night. The cops that was pretty funny, since they watched the show too.

-- L.

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
Apparently season 4 is going to go i a new direction so I think it will be like season 2 in that it won't focus on the Barksdale people as much. It is going to focus on the educational aspect of crime, as in high school, according to the HBO website.

vench

TRIBE Promoter
I'm up to ep. 10 I think of this season. not as action packed as the others but like Season Two was, I think this is a transitional season. they have Marlo as the new Barksdale and will focus more on him (obviously) in Season Five (which I hope is ordered by HBO).

this season isn't amazing but it's damn good viewing and better than anything on t.v. now imo.

Baltimore is gritty yo!

zorak

TRIBE Member
my brother made me watch an episode of this show a few weeks ago and it is amazing. the acting/writing is so convincing that some scenes had me totally fucked. then my brother called me a baby.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
David Simon who writes the show is fucking awesome. this show is the best show going, everything the soprano's or 6 ft under wanted to be this show has locked down.

I love the little side bar things like in the first season the chicken mcnugget conversation is gold... hahahaha...

Bunk, Omar, and the greasy Senator are my favourite characters.

It's All in the Game!

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Yes. Glad to see this show getting play by the tribe membership.

The depth to which Simon (and the other writers) have given the characters is something every other show's producers should take note of so they can pick their games up.

Senator Clay Davis: "SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!"

hahaha

vench

TRIBE Promoter
watched ep. 11 last night and trying my best to not view the last two. I want to but I also need something to look forward to after doing homework all week.

next season is gonna be explosive.

"you play in dirt, you get dirty"

Dr Trance

TRIBE Member
Bernnie Federko said:
The suspense is killing me DT, gimme gimme gimme the dish.

Aidan Gillen, who plays Carcetti, played Stuart (Brian in the American/Canadian version) in the original Brit version of QAF.

He's adapted a pretty credible U.S. accent for The Wire, doncha think?

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
thank you.

there's a bunch of brits on The Wire who've done excellent jobs with hiding their accents.

So to you the question is now: Can you name the Brits who've appeared in The Wire? I think there's 3, and that includes Gillen (all primary characters).

Onthereals

TRIBE Member
This show is amazing! Ya I agree season 2 was a little slow, but still pretty good. This season has been great. I recommend this show to all of my friends.
Way more people should be watching this show, but it is hard, you must start from the beginning.

Interesting side note: The show is a favorite for head editor of the NYtimes and also Stephen King.